main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Episode 3 Dresses (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Lady_THX, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Have you and your friend tried drawing it and then draw/folding the winged bits out? It may not work, but try it any way, thats if no one says what shape they are...

MC

2. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I created a new thread for the Sleepless Knights gown, if you would like to move the discussion over there.

Easier to keep the costume-specific tips/questions etc. more easily searchable.

Thanks! :)

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Good call. We're definitely reaching that point where discussion of particular dresses will get involved enough to certainly merit threads of their own. :)

4. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Is anyone working on the blue night robe (the one she wears in the scene with Obi-Wan)? I'm no great seamstress, but I thought I could at least do a robe. Not to mention, it would be comfortable. I've looked around the site and haven't found anything about it. I apologize if I missed something. Maggie does not have much up about it yet either.

I've been searching for, as Maggie suggests, a blue eyelash fabric. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Princess_Lesa

5. OneJediQueen

OneJediQueen Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi all!
    In my searchings I found a fabric that might work well for the embroidery of the blue nightgown:

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?id=BROCADE2

I figured it might be easier to do instead of hand embroidering the beautiful design.

Also, I left a post in the "Padme's "Leia Buns" Costume" forum, but I thought I'd leave the message here too: When buying panne velvet, is there a difference between panne velvet and crushed panne velvet? comparing the images to the velvet, it seems that there is (then again, the images make it look purple even though it's blue).

If anyone can answer, that would be great to know before I buy yards of the stuff.

6. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Princess_Lesa, if you can't find the eyelash fabric, it's possible to knit it with a smooth and an eyelash yarn, creating the fabric as you go along. You'll need to hold the two yarns together as you knit to produce the same weight and texture of the original. If you don't know how, I know some online tutorials.
    Also, looking at the pics, I'm wondering if the robe is even blue. It seems purple to me.

wraith13

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    From the screening I was at today, these are the sequence of appearance for Padme's Gown (if I remember correctly...):

- "Hair Buns"
    - Lavender/"Sleepless Knights" Gown
    - Burgundy Velvet
    - Black
    - Green Cut Velvet
    - Aqua Georgette
    - Purple Senate
    - Dressing Gown
    - "Sleeveless"
    - Medical Facility
    - Water

The scenes with the Peacock & Brown was not in the 35mm(?) version I get to watch just now. :(

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks Eagle. :)

9. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Yeah, the very costume that's on the poster didn't make it into the movie :(

And no handmaiden either.

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    There is still the new Queen Handmaiden tho' their garb is the TPM Maroon Cloak. ;) And headshot of one of Padme's Handmaiden at the Senate?

Heehee.....if not the fact I'm partially still Spoiler-Free when I first watch it last Sun, I think my list of missing scenes/characters will be longer. ;)

11. joelle

joelle Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2004
    isnt there those handmaidens in grey when shes in revelation as well? seen in pics on padawansguide

12. Aliabes

May 27, 2002
    I don't recall seeing any of them in this scene. And the "revelation" gown needs a new name too ;)

13. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Yeah, I haven't seen the movie yet...but when you think about it...we only have seen the handmaidens in two costume...it's weird when compared to the shots we have seen of the handmaidens in AOTC.

14. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    The "revelation" gown was called the "Burgundy velvet costume" in the Art of ROTS book, so I guess that's probably what I'll try and start calling it. I personally don't think the velvet looks the least burgundy - more purple. Though one of the underlayers and her sleeves look kind of burgundy colored.

15. Aliabes

May 27, 2002
    Let's cast on vote then! And protest to Lucas for having been misled by an official source [face_not_talking]

16. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I was quite dissapointed that Mon Mothma didn't make it into the movie.
    And that Padme's dress she is wearing on the actual movie poster is not in the film is quite a dissapointment too.

Well, enough costumes anyway to keep us busy for the next five years :p

17. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    In the movie it is more burgundy;)

You do get to see her Handmaidens knees in the senate as well:)

I was disappointed about no Mon Mothma as well, but you could tell by the editing of the last half gour that there was too much to try and get in.

Looking forward to any possible extension in the dvd form;)

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    > Well, enough costumes anyway to keep us busy for the next five years

Heeheee....until I got more money and working, I will stop at Padme's Green Robe Inner Dress and her Water Gown for now as already half-way done those or got all the materials at hand. Friend gotten Biker Scout so after 3 years delaying, I should too once and for all, and get his and his wife help to assemble the parts. :p I need something that don't show my face other than my IRG anyway for the SW Exhibition coming to Singapore end of this year. ;)

19. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    movie was awesome, mon mothma was there, you could see her when they arrived after saving palpatine, but you could barely see her :p

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    She was? :eek: Which outfit is she wearing?

Darn! I know I should had change back to my Glasses before the movie as my Contacts are not Toric so I still got slight blurry vision and may see 3 as 8 etc. :(

21. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    It is difficult to say which outfit Mon Mothma is wearing as she is in the second row of senators on the right hand side and none of them are very big. I will try to see more tonight when I go see ROTS again and on Saturday when I see it on the "Ultrascreen" (a very big screen but not as big as an IMAX screen).

22. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    The one with the headpiece I think. Overall I loved the movie. From a costume point of view I was majorly disappointed by no Mon Mothma, no Peacock dress, only 1 of 3 scenes with the green cut velvet robe and that was lit by sunset and you couldn't see it well.

23. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    i think it was the one with the headpiece

24. -anthony-

-anthony- Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    I just returned to see the movie...I feel SO empty, and I sooo don't know why.... I guess I was expecting more Padme scenes...
    From a costume point of view...I'm a little disapointed too, we didn't get to see much of them either.
    I'm still pretty sad the "Peacock dress" scene had been deleted too, it would have been a pretty powerful scene to see Padme confront Palpatine.

I thought the "Green robe" scene was beautifully done..even though there were some jokes in the audience about how her life seems boring to just "sit there and look at nothing"....I personally thought it was powerful.

I'm glad we got to see her running in the "Blue Georgette gown" though, it was very flowy, very angelic. I also thought the "Purple Dressing gown" was even more georgeous in motion.

I liked the movie pretty much...but I still feel empty...I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel like this, and I just can't seem to find out WHY I feel like this, perhaps together we will be able to find out ! LOL
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the movie...there was just not enough Padme...

25. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Some notes I took while watching the movie for the uncountable time LOL.
    1.) Bail's Aide wears flip flops! I kid you not, watch as she walks down the corrider and you'll see them.

2.) There is a brooch of some sort on Padme's Water Dress, as well as beading near the neckline. The brooch looks like a flower (closed) though, not something sparkly and jewel like. The sequins are sewn into wavy patterns (loose) as well as having the 3 strands in the front (stringed).

3.) Her black dress with the black beaded belt, shawl, and necklace is a lace overlay. As she walks into the sunlight, look at the bottom of the hem and you'll see the sun shine through the lace layer. The skirt also looks to be VERY full. There is a lot of fabric there, you see as she bends over slightly that there are gorgeous gathers and draping on it.

4.) Her green robe is GORGEOUS! I want to do this one next. It was hard to see from the lighting in the movie, but I don't think the emblem is on the back. I'll try and look again tonight. The train on the back is fairly long, but for costuming and con reasons, I would recomend making it shorter so its easier to walk in (and so people don't step all over it).

5.) Bail's costume, his gaunlets light up. When he's in the cruiser (after the padawan tries to be heroic) I noticed small lights on them lol.

6.) The emporer's brown robe is the silliest thing I've ever seen for a bad guy. Its a neat costume, but I'm not crazy about it. It looked to be a suiting wool and velvet.

7.) Padme's brown battle outfit, I think I saw a long zipper on the back of it. We don't see the back that long, so it's hard to tell. I'll look again tonight.

I guess thats all I have for now. The more I watch it, the more I'll see :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.