main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode 7 an original story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    It would be called Star Wars: The Old Republic Episode I, II and III

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's true. Wolverine joined the elite group of sequels whose FX went downhill from their predecessors. Trek 5, Superman 3 & Superman 4 were getting lonely ;).

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That's all over. It's not commercial. It's what makes SW personal-art. Lucas knows his stuff, he can "speak" in the language of iconography, symbol, and image. He's Joycian but he does it almost entirely with images. It's what makes him so unique. Don't expect Disney Star Wars to have the same complexity and sophistication as the films he directed and oversaw. I hope it all goes into his future "experimental" films.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  4. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I also fear that much of the symbolism will be lost without his input. Lets hope he does lots of "consulting" with Kennedy.

5. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    There's many directors with a far better grasp of symbolism and subtext than Lucas.

And I don't mean that as an insult to Lucas, it's just that they're are a lot of quality talents out there.

6. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I agree with this. Lucas is not the only one capable of visual and symbolic subtext. And I'd be willing to bet that whoever writes/directs the new Star Wars movies will be pretty well versed in the mythic/symbolic world of Star Wars. And I'm sure they'll be read up on their Joseph Campbell as well.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  7. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    ^ They'd better...

8. CConn

CConn Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    They will!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    I gotta say..I have never been a fan of the EU. I mean...live and let live, and I'm glad so many people love it. But for me, it always felt...thin. Like butter scraped over too much bread. :D

(see what i did there?) :D

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  10. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    Well, by "original story" I think we can assume they just mean it won't be using EU material. Which honestly will probably be the best decision.

11. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    There's a clip of Mark doing a Joker monlogue at Celebration VI that more than proves that he can totally kick a**. Give him a good script with a strong story and he could completely hold an audience's attention:

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  12. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    In a literary/dramatic sense, sure. But not as Lucas does, where the text is like a third harmony, an invisible layer that is not much on its own, but when wed to his imagery, editing, and whole style becomes something more. He is truly, profoundly brilliant that way. Sorry, but there isn't anyone else who does what he does.

13. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004

Welllll....Lucas definitely has a hot spark. But its really easy to underestimate the profundity of some talent out there. Lucas deserves a lot of credit...but he was also profoundly lucky in several discrete ways.

For starters, you say "wed to his imagery, editing...". Its well known that his first cuts of Star Wars...the cuts he himself oversaw...didn't go over so well at all. In fact, they fell very flat. The two fellas that won the academy award for Star Wars' editing have shown a lot of candor about it, but have said pretty clearly that George's choices of editing was considerably wanting, and they pulled off a miracle in their brilliant editing choices which finally won them an oscar.

I'm not ripping on George, honestly. Its his baby. But I think it would be a shame to put the Episode VII filmmakers at too great a disadvantage right off the bat. In some ways, George can't make the Star Wars movies we really want him to, because as he himself has said, he never got to be a fan. He's the guy. As he said in the interview on the day of the sale to Disney, now he gets to be a fan. He gets to see Star Wars the way we do now, fresh and new. I think he's even as excited to see what other hands do as we are.

14. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I too am interested and exited to see the direction the next movies go. My point is that that Lucas has a very unique way of visualizing things. Sure, there are other directors (e.g. Ridley Scott) who have a great visual imagination, but I just hope there is some consistency to the existing saga.

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL, I didn't want to be mean, but I thought the same thing about him and Carrie Fisher; they need to slim down for any appearance in the sequels. Not bashing, just sayin'.....

I hope they do get parts in these, at least minor roles. That would be cool.

I'm glad they are using new stories though.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, if it happens AFTER episode 6, I think it could reasonably be called Episode 7. Maybe it is just a good while after.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's amazing what you can do with Jedi robes.

18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Not according to any sources I've read/seen, including Rinzler's book. It's well known that the first guy they hired to the editing got it all wrong, so Lucas had to let him go and then he and Marcia (his wife at the time) had to do everything themselves (later joined by a third person). Officially, Lucas is uncredited, but he was there all the way.

19. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    Well...again not wanting to bash George at all...but, well, consider the sources for those accounts. We're looking at a couple of decades of people very unwilling to say an unkind word about Lucas. But I won't belabor the point. :) Honestly, I'm not giving him that hard a time. Just saying that the pedestal I've put him on isn't, perhaps, quite as high as others. He's still uncle George...I just don't discount the brilliant people around him who played pivotal roles in building Star Wars. ;)

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, the three main editors, Richard Chew, Marcia Lucas, and Paul Hirsch were involved all the way through editing(and Hirsch also edited ESB), so Lucas was involved in the editing in an uncredited role but it wasn't him and Marcia by themselves. Hirsch and Chew both had substantial involvement all the way through.

The other editor you're speaking of only did a rough cut. He was let go and then Lucas and Fox brought in Marcia Lucas, and Chew and Hirsch for subsequent cuts.

Wohoo! Episode 7 is coming! [face_dancing]

IsoBanValian likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, yeah, I simplified things quite a bit :) But I haven't heard about any Lucas's edits of the original that were bad (there was his cut of Empire that no one liked).

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know, even in the "neck up" shots, they look nothing like their younger selves; weight makes the face look different in some as well as the body. I think weight reduction is called for. Luke needs to go running with Yoda on his back like in Empire.

23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah they need to look better unless they really want to jump the timeline by almost double 20-40 year range.

24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Been reading and I just gotta put my two penneth worth in...

I am stoked by the news (final admittance by George!) that GL has written 3 more treatments instead of his "the saga is complete - it was only ever 6 movies all about Darth Vader" nonsense!

More Star Wars with a decent director could be soooooo good. Of course it could be soooo bad too ;)

But overall I'm chuffed.

25. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    It's true. Guinness definitely had a paunchy belly but his robes covered it completely.