main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Next Location to be Ireland, Donegal/Malin Head

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Grilled Hutt, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Caode

Caode Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2015
    I'll be keeping a close eye on going on's around these parts in the coming months as production ramps up. There's a lot of hotels here that have been completely booked out for the month of May by LucasFilm from most reports. Will be sure to be out and about when production here starts. It's sure to be a massive tourism boost for the area, the local communities here are all pleased with the news.

2. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Cool.

Maybe they will travel to Ilum so we can see the crystal caves.

Or maybe to Dantooine, Lothal, Adega or Kadril and we get to see how the crystals are found\chosen.

Ilum, Dantooine and Lothal are all canon planets.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  3. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yeah, I would say that these Locations will all be for Luke's Island. As I said in a previous Post, I think the Island will be larger than what it appears in to be in TFA. We only saw Luke's Island from limited angles. Skellig Michael itself is very small; they will need to have room for the first Jedi Temple.

nightangel and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

Yoda was on Bespin too?

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think the first Jedi Temple will be a very small, very humble structure.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Oops you caught me! I've never actually seen ESB. :p

7. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    well being as it has an ACTUAL monastery on it I think it might be big enough for a small temple. In fact I sort of assumed that what we saw in TFA WAS the temple

8. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    I had the idea that maybe Luke could take Rey around to the different jedi temples he's found to see how they did things so they can rebuild their Order in a new and better way. So far these locations haven't made me abandon that theory......yet.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    nightangel

Once you're done with the Dubrovnik shoot, you better start preparing for your trip to Donegal! ;)

Darkspellmaster, nightangel and TK327 like this.
  10. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    As an Irishman I am happy they film here. But if I am an honest I just don't see this country as a Star Wars location. I mean one of the reasons I love star wars is because it was full of places you just couldn't find in Ireland. Deserts, Snowfields and beautiful citeies and lakes from Italy

11. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But the Jedi built their first temple in Ireland, so we have to go there. ;)

12. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    There is a lot of speculation around these Jedi temple's where's it all coming from? o_O

13. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

In TFA, Han Solo said that there were rumors that Luke went looking for the first Jedi Temple. ;)

Darkspellmaster and nightangel like this.
  14. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    There's no structure on Skellig Michael you could get a film camera into. The 'monastery' consists of a few stone cells in an enclosed terrace - there's nothing approaching the size of even a small chapel. The cells that the monks built to live in are essentially one-person spaces, very dark.

Something I remember from when I was there: monks went to Skellig in order to retreat from the world, and even retreated from each other when they were there. There's another peak separate from the main one where Luke is shown, and one hermit fell out with the others and created his own mini-cell at the top of the other (even less accessible) peak!

It was slightly odd to see Star Wars characters in normal, northern daylight. So much of Star Wars is shot in studios, or in sunny desert locations. I'm not sure I approve of this new realism!

15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Thorin Oakenshield "As an Irishman I am happy they film here. But if I am an honest I just don't see this country as a Star Wars location. I mean one of the reasons I love star wars is because it was full of places you just couldn't find in Ireland. Deserts, Snowfields and beautiful citeies and lakes from Italy "

That's always the problem with using real world settings in SF movies. Imagine if you were Icelandic, you couldn't watch any SF movie made in the last ten years without recognising one landscape or another.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Perhaps. However, the "First Jedi Temple" may indeed be a stone hut. Nice symbol of humility there.

That's hardly a problem. Endor looks like the woods in the backyard of my childhood home, and that doesn't make it any less Endor for me. Indeed, I sometimes imagined those woods to be on another planet. Our own planet is full of very old places - woods, mountains, streams - which are themselves a matter of legend. They bring richness to the GFFA. And a sense that these are stories rooted in the collective unconscious of the human mind. In that context, Ireland, with its rich Celtic history, and its old stone early Christian temples, feels deeply Star Warsian to me.

In short, Star Wars is myth, not science/ speculative fiction. That's just the way of it.

17. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    Im not sure that Skellig was the location of the temple luke went looking for that han was referring to. Im thinking that Luke already found that place and moved to the next step after that.

Im think a passage of time occurred. I also recall hearing from JJ or Iger explaining that Luke had not been missing the whole ten years or whatnot. My impression was that after the Ca Ca went down, Luke went looking for the first jedi temple, which led him to another place, then another place, that things were done before he wound up on skellig michael. All we know is what Luke did first after the slaying of his students according to Han.

The only part that i cannot reconcile is that if Luke went "looking for" the jedi temple then how does he make a map of a place he has to go look for? So i have to assume he already found the jedi temple, alerted artoo where he was going next, then had the key to his location sent to the old man on jakku or the old man was with him however that works. This means to me that Luke had a plan and that this plan might have kept him stuck on skellig for a variety of reasons...the force, a jedi puzzle to reveal the temple on that world, something. He made this map and instructions to artoo because he didnt know what would happen to him when he got to his next location|skellig.

To have him just leave the scene of the killing and then be on a little island for ten years right afterwards just doesnt sound like the right story.

robot120 likes this.
  18. Diddy Minty

Diddy Minty Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2016
    Grilled Hutt The timeline is very vague, but from things Pablo Hidalgo has tweeted, it doesn't sound like Luke has been away for anywhere near as long as ten years. PH said the incident that drove Luke into exile happened much closer to the events of TFA than people are speculating about.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  19. Grilled Hutt

Dec 24, 2003
    Ive heard that as well but when its a possiblity that Rey was part of that academy then you have her flashback from little girl to young woman..thats at least 10 years. Yep, i call that pretty vague timeline. It couldnt have been that close to the events of TFA..unless rey got dropped off long before the attack and then luke, unable to stop it once it started, went into exile at that point or went looking for a jedi temple depending on who you want to believe. Maybe those two events occured far from each other. Maybe he found the temple. Found out things he didnt like and then exiled himself with a map in case someone needed to find him. Maybe he is a nutjob. Like Don Quixote nutjob chasing windmills. ..which still sounds dumb. Dont get me wrong i love a good mystery and hope the writers really have a good plot point here.

Either way i still cannot state for certainity this skellig island is where he went to be exiled. How does one exile themself and send out a map of his location?...none of this adds up and luke being on skellig is certainly deepening that mystery. Its hard to determine if ireland is an extension of that island or a new world altogether.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Seems to me that with only two extra coastal locations to shoot at they are just utilising them as different sides of Luke's Island. There were a lot of Islands on Ahch-to so to get the impression of that they have picked real life locations with Islands relatively close to the shore. It saves the CGI guys having to add the closer Islands later on.

TK327 and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  21. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah, this. I don't think there will be any traveling on Ahch-to. The First Jedi Temple is on that island, and that's where they'll stay.

My big question is: Will the island be attacked by Kylo Ren, who saw it in Rey's mind, or is it essentially another Dagobah-style haven? I'd be fine with either.

22. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    The temple is on ahch-to thats the whole point of tfa. Theres no such thing as a map to luke, it's a map leading to the first jedi temple. And luke didnt make the map and send it to lor san tekka, it's an ancient map that was finally discovered indiana jones style. we dont know how lor found it but he's an expert in jedi artifacts and an explorator. was it in his posession since the beginning and he helped luke to find the temple or did he find it later? this we dont know yet...im sure there wil be books about him, the church of the force and luke post-rotj soon enough...so many stories to be fleshed out :)

23. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

I'm praying for an animated TV series.

24. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It will be interesting if pics of the numbers of shoot there are leaked as well. As has been the case with the Dubrovnik filming.

25. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    They should at least put some moons/planets in the sky or change the color of the Sky, maybe put some strange plants on the Sets. It gets boring if everything looks exactly like earth they should get some hints from ROTS or TCW when it comes to the planets. Even that 80's movie Enemy Mine managed to give us a totally believable Alien World. SW is so much more then the same stuff over and over again.