main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Next Location to be Ireland, Donegal/Malin Head

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Grilled Hutt, Mar 9, 2016.

1. seventhonmars

seventhonmars Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2016
    Hi! Long time lurker but my first post here.

I can't see us getting as much information with the filming in Ireland. Hopefully we'll still get tidbits, though. I imagine the press will still be trying to snap some shots. Someone mentioned that filming will be 12 weeks here? That's a long time. How long did they spend in Dubrovnik, if anyone knows?

2. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    I am a proud irishman but I just don't see this country as a star wars world. Even the desolate worlds in Star wars have a techno influence, just does not seem right to see mucky fields and broken stone walls in star wars

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    To Tunisians, this looks like...Tunisia:

[​IMG]

To the Irish, this looks like Ireland:

[​IMG]

It'll be Rian Johnson's job to make it feel like a Star Wars planet.

But since it's allegedly home to the very first Jedi temple, which may have originated in a pre space-faring society (or was an Order that began as a deliberately ascetic, Luddite movement) then it's going to have less tech in it than other planets.

Though I can see there being a few little technological additions to the hut interiors, etc. And if not, I imagine Johnson could give it an extra sun, or a few moons.

Whatever. I love it.

4. Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe96 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2016
    I don't mind a tech-less area for the first Jedi Temple. The location Dubrovnik was filmed at is probably going to be futuristic enough to make a nice contrast. (Plus I agree that Ahch-To and the temple are most likely going to be rather primitive places.)

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

to people of Northern California this does not look like star wars,
    [​IMG]
    but back when ROTJ came out not many people complained, not even people from Northern California ...

6. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I always felt when they filmed the OT it seemed that they picked locales that could have been anywhere in the world. So when you were on Hoth all you saw was white. When you were at Yodas house all you see is swamp, when you were in Tatooine all you saw was sand. When you start filming at places that are very famous then you start to lose the illusion of otherworldly. Filming at GameofThrones city is kinda of going against that grain there. I think they should have picked extremely less well known locales that could have looked like anywhere in the world. If youre a kiwi watching lord of the rings you just dont believe theyre in middle earth because they kept picking locales with distinctive landmarks. Maybe they should have stuck to more generic locations that emote a mood as opposed to a geographic feature.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Less known locales?

Like the bedrooms of most of the members here (including me)?

I think some people want a planet made of donuts or something. I'm sorry: Rian Johnson isn't Andre Breton.

Mungo Baobab , Satipo and loststars like this.
  8. Azpiri

Azpiri Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015

Mmmmm, donuts. But wait, Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts?

Rimfaxe96 likes this.
  9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    All donuts. Breton is a surealiste.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  10. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Actually, this is Death Valley, California. :)

Having been there, Tatooine still feels exotic, though. As you say, a good filmmaker/cinematographer can make the familiar seem alien.

Edit: If they had got ESB's cinematographer (Suschitzky) for RotJ, Endor would have come across as a much more interesting and immersive alien world, IMO.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Rimfaxe96

Mar 9, 2016

But they're not well-known. Very few people inform themselves about shooting locations (usually just hardcore fans; a good chunk of the general audience is probably going to believe that everything filmed at Dubrovnik was just very well-done CGI), no matter how pretty the scenes. For example nobody I know has ever heard of Cathedral Cove in New Zealand; I remember it as the location for that beautiful scene from The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian when the four kids return to Narnia.

Unless you pick places like the Times Square or the Eiffel Tower, nobody will notice anything. Especially not after editing.

12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Dubrovnik: 9th March to 17th March. ;)

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I will be honest, I live in Southwest Florida If Lucasfilm/Disney for episode 8 and 9 or the crew of Jurassic World 2 wanted to film In The Everglades I think that would be really cool,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And Hoth looks suspiciously like it was filmed on a glacier in the arctic circle. ;)

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  15. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Considering locales and how they can be altered or given alien feelings:

Alderaan: Planet Switzerland - a shot of mountains
    Tatooine: Planets Tunisa, California Arizona - desert
    Yavin IV: Planet Guatemala - jungle / rain forest
    Hoth: Planet Norway - snow
    Endor: Planet Northern California - temperate rain forest
    Naboo: Planets Italy and Spain and England - architecture
    Kashyyyk: Planets China and Thailand - forest
    Jakku: Planet UAE - desert
    Takodana: Planet England - woods, lakes
    D'Qar: Planet England - military architecture
    SKB: Planet Iceland - snow, woods
    Ahch-To: Planet Ireland - coastal island

Others are movie sets or CGI. Some of these above are plate shots, but most are actual action locations. Honestly, Dubrovnik is more the exception being on location in a city, rather than plate shots surrounded by tons of CGI.

16. Rimfaxe96

Mar 9, 2016
    I live in Bavaria/southern Germany. In my area there's mainly classic 'farm land' scenery, but if you travel south there's tons of forests and once you get close to Austria some awesome mountain ranges. Nothing interesting to the north though, except the coastline and islands.

And of course, Bavaria has the closest building to irl Hogwarts, Neuschwanstein Castle:

[​IMG]

Perhaps a nice base for the Knights of Ren? [face_batting]

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

that would be cool !!!!

IoJovi likes this.
  18. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Cept needs to be black. They'll get it in post.

Baron_Papanerd and Rimfaxe96 like this.
  19. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Exactly! And I don't think a lot of people realize how much CGI will be added to the Dubrovnik Location. I am sure that most of the city background will be replaced with digital matte paintings; as well as digital additions over the lower levels, where they added the doorways and arches. Even the street level will have to have a few modern pieces removed. Obviously, they will be keeping most of the real architecture of this beautiful city intact (they wouldn't have bothered Filming there, if they were not using it), because they want to establish that "familiar real world look" to the design of the Planet. But people shouldn't worry; there will be enough CGI additions, and digital subtractions to make this Planet look like it exists in the Star Wars Galaxy. ;)

dekaneas likes this.
  20. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Disney Land in Star Wars! (this is the castle that inspired the Disney Castle) :D

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Germany inspires Star Wars and also Disney, they should spend more time in our country. :cool:

Baron_Papanerd and Rimfaxe96 like this.
  22. jedistarfire

jedistarfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2015
    I would like to think that Luke is hiding his padwans this time . So he can fully train them this time without them being killed . Becuase Han didsay mostly rumors but the people that knew him best he went to find the first temple not exact qoute frome the book but anyway . So my theory is he found it then after mourning he went and found mor students to train maybe . I just don't buy that he was just standing around looking at the ocean.:luke:

ChildOfWinds and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    although amazing, filming in the everglades would be a logistical nightmare.

Rimfaxe96, jedistarfire and Xinau like this.
  24. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Because back then the tech
    Because back then the tech was not there, but today you could create almost every place you could imagine. ROTS did an awesome job when it comes to Planets and with today's advanced fx it would be even more stunning. I hope other Directors have more Balls then JJ.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "A long time ago, a team known as Rogue One stole the plans of the Death Star from the Empire. And they gave those plans to Leia Organa, who then put those plans into my loyal droid R2-D2.

While I have been alone on this planet I have been working hard
    Behold!". Presses button on a remote control.
    The top of the island folds back revealing a giant laser dish.

" It's MY turn to blow up a planet!"

jedistarfire likes this.