main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 9: Potential Deleted/Existing Leia Footage To ROTOSCOPE in!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiSpamBaloney, Aug 22, 2018.

1. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    A while back it was revealed Leia WOULD indeed be pasted back into Episode 9 from OLD footage. The purpose of this thread is to explore WHAT footage we have onhand (or potentially) and HOW it could be used.

Here's one to get us started:
    Deleted scene from Empire Strikes Back where Leia is tending to a wounded Luke Skywalker. They could clean this up, remove Luke, change the background to give us the following:
    a) A younger Leia between ROTJ and TFA tucking in Baby Ben Solo into his crib during a flashback scene.
    b) A younger Leia having an intimate moment with a younger Han Solo whom they could de-age; greenscreen in, etc.
    c) Any other ideas?

Another - same idea - could be used for Han or Ben in a flashback as per the 1st idea above:

What about from unused footage from more recent films Carrie Fisher has been in since 2015? How about THIS for an action sequence :-D - just CGI the shotgun into a blaster and put on a new hair doo

2. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    I'm pretty sure they just are using stuff that didn't make the final cut of The Force Awakens.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    yes, and potentially from the last jedi (confirmed by her brother)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, they are going to use only footage from TFA and TLJ.

The only thing we can do is to check all the deleted footage and behind-the-scenes included in the all the Blu-Ray releases of TFA and TLJ, including the exclusives, and filter only the ones that show Leia.

But it is likely they have several hours of deleted performances of Carrie that will never make to the public. Maybe even alternate takes of scenes which were included in the movies, including behind-the-scenes stuff.

dekaneas and ewoksimon like this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It's worth taking into account that they're not limited only to deleted scenes from TFA and TLJ, but also unused takes and coverage from existing scenes.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm so excited to see how they work Leia in to IX. Both from a story standpoint, AND from a technical standpoint!

DaddlerTheDalek, jaqen and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm actually really nervous about it. Fingers crossed. I just think if it's not perfect, they shouldn't do it at all. But if it's perfect, it'll be...perfect. And totally worth it.

Vohnkar, dekaneas, Krueger and 2 others like this.
  8. ObiSpamBaloney

Feb 12, 2014
    This will be really cool

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The way I see it is, if they were able to work Tarkin and Leia into Rogue One as effectively as they did, which IMO was awesome-and THAT was CG!-then I am confident they could make "real" Leia appearing in Episode IX work seamlessly, at least from a technical standpoint.

I will agree that in terms of story, it could go either way-but I think that's just the aftertaste from TLJ at work in my mind...

Count Yubnub and TadoFett like this.
  10. The Wrens of Night

The Wrens of Night Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 14, 2017
    I hope they never reveal what Leia's real role was going to be in Episode IX. It will probably be heart-breaking to hear, since the rumor was that Episode IX was supposed to be "her movie" the way VII was Han's and VIII was Luke's.

11. ObiSpamBaloney

Feb 12, 2014
    What kind of scenes could we get out of the footage they might have? If they threw in a body double as well they could probably get a lot more mileage out of that as well. Even a voice actor for bits and pieces of dialogue could provide even more possibilities. Whatever they do it would have be enough to write her out of the story at some point within the film. It would need to be where she passes the leadership to someone else - whom I'm guessing would have to be Poe, as is strongly suggested in TLJ (where we even see him expecting this, before Holdo got it). He was not seen as ready, initially, but looked as though he was well on his way by the end of the film, having grown in character and maturity.

If it were up to me, I'd film a scene to parallel the opening to Return Of The Jedi and Attack Of The Clones. With regards to ROTJ, I imagine her going to bargain with the Hutt's to recruit the mob underworld to fight the First Order. Lando could accompany her. They present the offer, but then the meeting is cut short by The First Order, who manages to mortally wound her in an assassination attempt (like Attack Of The Clones). Lando escapes with her, where she dies in the medical unit - but not before passing on the leadership to Poe (Lando declines preferring to remain underground).

1) Who likes this idea?
    2) Who thinks this would be feasible given current technology and potential existing footage?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, I think this too. However, I don't think they would have made an official announcement if they didn't thoroughly test it beforehand. They've obviously got it in a place, in a technological sense, where they are all happy with it. The voice is of interest, too. I'm assuming a voice actor will be used, somewhat?

jaqen and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think they made the announcement of using old footage because there will also be CGI Leia in episode 9.

jaqen likes this.
  14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I think it would be incredible if they manage to make a blooper work. Like.... after the death of Luke, Leia becomes a bit unhinged and laughs at inappropriate times. Or, maybe Force Ghost Luke visits Leia and they laugh together, utilizing bloopers. Some ADR might be needed.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    No, they have made this point very clear a number of times. They will not recreate Leia in CGI.

The only CGI they will do is what they did on TFA, where they changed her hair design using CGI (check the raw scenes from the extras to see what I mean).

16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I know they've said that, but they've already recreated a younger Leia for RO.

17. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    That was before she died. There is a clear difference between recreating a younger version of Carrie with her knowledge and permission and resurrecting her image so soon after her unexpected death. Tarkin would have been a better example for you since Peter Cushing is also dead, but I think the timing of Carrie's passing is a large factor as well.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  18. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Could be body stand-ins where we don't see Leia's face.

dekaneas likes this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    That's just my opinion of what I would like. Timing really isn't an issue. All that matters is that Carrie's wishes be respected.

20. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Timing may not be an issue for you, but I expect popular opinion will be very different regarding resurrecting an actor who had passed away over 20 years prior like Mr. Cushing and someone only a couple of years ago like Ms. Fisher.

21. TheFastJedi

TheFastJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2017
    Important to read what Lucasfilm said in the 07/27/18 release:

"........The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.......”

RaptorMusic likes this.
  22. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Yes. Last month I went online to do my daily Star Wars search, expecting to find the usual rehash of meaningless speculative rumors a la Mike Zeroh et. al, when instead I was delighted with this heartwarming article. I either like or love everything they did with Leia in 8. I thought writing her out of an altered TLJ after her death would have been heartless, irresponsible and lazy and have difficulty understanding why so many closure-hungry fans wanted that at the time. (I thought the very beginning of the film on D'Qar and a Leia-living ending were two of its easiest predictions). Anyway, the approach they're now taking with 9 is the one I had never really given any serious thought to but it sounds like yet another Lucasfilm decision of late that earns my resounding approval. How will they incorporate footage? The more the better, but I think her screentime may be limitted. Takodana? Not sure why the Resistance would hide or regroup on a planet the FO might expect them to. I have no idea what the previously unreleased footage looks like. Does anyone else? Yes I wonder if Leia will be shown to interact with her son. I trust JJ and company to handle this one, whether Leia pass gracefully or live on mysteriously; a violent death could be a blow.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  23. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Here's a piece of the Episode 9 script where previously unseen Leia footage was incorporated:

Rey: "The First Order is preparing to attack!"
    Leia: "We MUST destroy Starkiller Base!"
    Rey: "What? No, we did that already... Kylo is preparing a ground attack."
    Leia: "Han is on his way to talk to Kylo now. He's our last hope to save our son!"
    Rey: "Um, no, that was a few years ago. It didn't go so well."
    Leia: "Look, Rey, Maz Kanata brought me Luke's lightsaber!"
    Rey: "Wait, how do you have that? It broke in Snoke's throne room."
    Leia: "Rey, you must bring this saber to Luke. R2 had the missing piece of the map. Take the Falcon with Chewie."
    Rey: "Okaayy….. maybe you should get some rest. I'll talk to you later."

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm guessing that the Leia/Maz sequence that was cut from TFA probably offers a wealth of options and alternate angles of Carrie. Based on how mo-cap is done, since it's a Lupita/Maz scene also, JJ probably shot the crap out of it with multiple establishing shot angles and coverage and many takes and Carrie "reaction" shots, to make sure they got many options because so much post production is needed with the Maz character.

So I have to think something cool from that can be used from IX.

I like the idea of Maz having repaired Luke's lightsaber and she brings it to Leia.

It would require a new scene between Rey and Maz earlier in the film. Maybe Rey has completed her own new lightsaber and Maz and her talk about the Force and the future of the Jedi, and Maz says she wants to take Luke's old one, and Rey gives it to her.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    dogprivilege likes this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Or even use this in some way........