main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Niagara, ON *** Episode II Fundraiser for Women's Place ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Woofer, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    First off, I would like to thank all of the many volunteers who contributed their time and money to help us make our raffle a big success.

There are so many things to discuss. What went right, what went wrong, what we can do to improve our ability to raise more funds.

I haven't seen the final total yet (I'm sure we'll have that soon), but I do know for sure we raised over $1800!

What went well? What was a waste of energy? What did you wish we could've done? Lets turn this into a discussion.

2. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    "The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft astray, and leave us naught but grief and pain for promised joy." - Robert Burns

The biggest problem with this event had nothing to do with us. Not knowing when the theatre would begin advance ticket sales made it very difficult to plan and organize properly...and made us all VERY cranky.

Then to add insult to injury, we were deprived of our 24hr notice for ticket sales. With only 2 hours notice, we did the best we could...but all our events became somewhat "watered down" because of this situation which was beyond our control.

What do I think could have been improved on?

I think ticket sales could have been significantly higher if each YJN member had made a point of taking a few books of tickets home and selling them to co-workers, neighbours, friends and family. I brought home 5 books...of which 4 were sold. That brought in over $100, and it could have been a lot more if I had tried harder.

The BBQ, and the costume contest were great ideas, but ended up being 90% YJN affairs. A lot more advertisement was needed to make the general public aware of these events. I ended up making some hand-done posters at the last minute for the costume contest...but I should have had professional-looking ones done up on the computer...and distributed far and wide..... same goes for the BBQ.

....and this one's for Mitch.....next time we use the R5 unit for a garbage can....let's put a BAG in there first!
    ********GRRRRRRROSS!************

3. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    "What went wrong?"

The tent...the wind lifted it and knocked off the side mirror on Matt Raimondo's car.

Laurie...talk to Matt about how he wants to fix it.

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Costume Contest

Good idea? Bad Idea?

Personally, I had a lot of fun as the emcee, and was humbled when many people said I did a good job.

It could have been somewhat better promoted, but I really wonder how much more of a turnout we could have had? It was mentioned in the paper a week before. It was mentioned to almost everyone who bought a ticket. Perhaps a poster, like Laurie suggested, specifically about the contest might have attracted a few more people.

I didn't mind it was mostly YJN people. We have good costumes! It shows to people what we can do, and maybe will inspire them to make their own.

So all in all, I think the Costume Contest was a good idea. We had fun. We entertained people. We sold a whole bunch of tickets while it was happening.

Any other comments on the Contest, or the charity event itself?

5. Dalponis

Dalponis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    My rants are the same as as Dream_Weavers. Basically, if the ticket sales were not screwed up, perhaps we could have taken books as Dream_Weaver (Lori I think???) said. Then there would have been more of a turn-out, and the hot-dog/raffle sale would have done better.

I thought there would have been tonnes of tents, but I had a blast none the less. I had fun, and will do my best to make Episode III the best.

6. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    "What went wrong?"

Alcohol...I recently found out that one or two people had a few drinks during the overnighter. I'm not impressed!!!!

NEW RULE (only warning)

If I hear of anyone bringing any alcohol to any Y.J.N. event in the future, regardless if they are legal to drink or not, I will personally have the alcohol removed and empted. The person or persons will also be told to leave the event and I may even consider removing them from the club entirely.

Reason...We have many members that are under age. I'm sure the parents of those minors would be VERY upset if they found out there child was at an event with alcohol around.

Rebuttal...This is not open for debate. The only responses I want to see are: "ok", "understood", or even a respectful "yes sir".

7. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    Chris, are you talking about the bottle in the trash can? The one where you said "who brought this?" That was my Jones Soda-100% alcohol free. I was just gonna reply when I think someone asked me something and I forgot to mention it to you.

8. Dalponis

Dalponis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    He was talking aboot somebody else. Don't worry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.