main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III icons... This rather made me mad...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Sithman, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I don't suppose that anyone has considered the notion of revising TF.N's spoiler policy slightly? A spoiler is, in my definition at least, anything that reveals a part of the movie's plot that isn't already assumed from non-Ep3 related sources, such as the other movies. Whether LFL-released information is classified by TF.N as a spoiler or not is irrelevant to many non-spoiler fans like myself, because we still don't want to know it. For example, if LFL makes it official that Padme will die in Ep3 (just as an example, NOT A SPOILER), then it'll be all over the boards. That doesn't mean I want to know it. If the JC wants the continuing patronage of non-spoiler fans then it needs to cater to them as well.

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

If Lucasfilm make it known officially that Padme Dies (Not a spoiler, just a guess!) then it will be EVERYWHERE on the Introweb, on the news, all over the place.

It's not up to the JC to try and create an guaranteed oasis of blissful ignorance. They offer a Spoiler-free forum to discuss within a set of limitations, but anything stronger would not work, if only because of the leakage of other mediums. (Plus, of course the trolls who will post spoilers in ep3(NSA) anyway.)

I guess you'll just have to trust Lucasfilm, and decide just HOW spoiler free you want to try and be... after all, the basic plot has been known for around 20 years!

UKS

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The big question is, where do we draw the line for what's a spoiler icon?

Prior to AOTC you could see Yoda with a green lightsabre in an icon, and I'm quite sure that the Reek and Nexu icons also were uploaded prior to the premiere. That got me really upset, will it happen again?

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If the image of Yoda with a lightsaber was released via an official channel, then it would be okay.

5. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    The big question is, where do we draw the line for what's a spoiler icon?

Well if we follow the TFN spoiler policy, its an icon of any pic which hasn't been officially release by LFL.

But there are different levels for different people.
    Official pictures, of already well known characters such as Anakin & Obi-Wan....well I personally don't see them as spoilers, so therefore icons made from their pics from my POV are fine. Though because they are in profile and aren't depicted in any particular scene, then it's also less of a problem.
    If they were from a scene and you could tell where the scene was etc, and who say Anakin/Obi-Wan were talking to, then for me thats a no no. Thats where I draw the line.

The problem for TFN is that within the 3NSA there are diverse views on whats spoilers are and what aren't, everyone has a different standard and some are higher than the official TFN policy, which conflicts with the boards because the boards use that policy to define the information that is received.
    I think its rather foolish to say "Well if they didn't want to see pics of Anakin from Episode 3 then they shouldn't be on these boards" Because thats utter trash. Everyone has the right to come here and discuss aspects of the films or join in any conversation from the multitude of boards here.

I think the suggestion of a special feature which allows certain posters to block certain icons from their viewing, is quite frankly a good idea.
    If it helps keep the community at large happy then its worth doing if you ask me.

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Images of Obi-Wan and Anakin are starting to basically hit the streets from LFL.

7. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Are we not the public? we aren't "insiders"...... Hyperspace is on the web, albeit a fee is required, but going to the movies requires admission fees. [face_plain] The web is public domain, isn't it? ?[face_plain]

8. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    "I think the suggestion of a special feature which allows certain posters to block certain icons from their viewing, is quite frankly a good idea."

Zerosleep + Money + IGN = New Features.

UKS

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    To answer an earlier question, and also correct you Obi Anne, apart from images blazoned across TOS's main page or from the teaser and release posters, there was one AotC icon uploaded before its release. That was of a geonosian, done inadvertantly because of an assumption it came from the main page. It was turned invisible less than 10 minutes after being uploaded, and taken back down from the server within hours of the mistake being realised.

10. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I think its rather foolish to say "Well if they didn't want to see pics of Anakin from Episode 3 then they shouldn't be on these boards" Because thats utter trash. Everyone has the right to come here and discuss aspects of the films or join in any conversation from the multitude of boards here.

I never said that they shouldn't be on these boards. Instead I pointed out that they chose to be here knowing the spoiler policy.

This is the policy that has been in place for many years. What has changed? Not much.

Several people have referenced that about half the users are going spoiler free. That's fine, but that has little bearing on this discussion. Why? Because the issue is not about the spoiler free group in general, but only the hardcore spoiler free people.

Are more people doing the hardcore route this time? Yes. However, not by much from what I have seen. Here at the boards, we follow TFN's policy (set by the website, not the boards). Everyone has been aware of that for quite some time. If you wish to hold yourself to a different standard for spoilers, then that is your responsibility, not TFN's.

Kimball Kinnison

11. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think this speaks to a larger issue here.

Since this is the last Star Wars movie ever, it's been my observation that more people are going hard-core spoiler free than for the first two. I mean, they want to know NOTHING. No trailers, no images, no nothing. I think Sithman, and several others happen to fall into this category.

However, I agree that if something is officially released by LFL, it's no longer a spoiler. TFN has a spoiler policy, and has for some time.

If you truly want to know absolutely nothing about Ep. 3 before May 2005, may I suggest a dark cave for you to live in until then.

12. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    There's another movie coming out?!

Seriously, I can understand why some folks would want to go spoiler-free, and why some folks would be upset at the prospect of being inadvertently spoiled, but I think the stink over the Anakin icon is a little unreasonable.

First and foremost, he's not doing anything in the photo, so no events/plot points have been revealed.

Second, it's being assumed that he's a knight in the film (because of the absent braid). *If* this is true, it's nothing more than what could be inferred from A New Hope ("I was once a Jedi Knight, like your father."), which takes it out of the realm of "spoiler" (for me at least, as there is only one film left, unless Lucas makes him a Knight between Ep. III and ANH).

If an icon reveals plot points or major characters, I can appreciate the hubbub.

When an icon (1) shows a character we *know* will be in Ep. III (and I'm referring to Anakin here, not goofy cameo rumors or spy pics), (2) has been *officially* released, (3) conforms to the TF.N spoiler policy, and (4) tells us nothing more than what can be inferred from the other films, I'm not sure where the issue is. It seems a little unreasonable to me to cry foul.

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Nicely put Sith

14. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    If the image of Yoda with a lightsaber was released via an official channel, then it would be okay.

No it wouldn't! That's the problem here, just because something is official doesn't mean it's not a spoiler. It's pretty obvious to me and other spoiler-free people that Yoda with a lightsaber was a spoiler. Another example I can think of is that in the SW Insider before TPM came out I saw a picture of Obi-Wan hanging in that pit that Maul knocked him into. Again, this is a spoiler. At some point we'll probably have to draw a stricter line than just saying official = non-spoiler.

15. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

"At some point we'll probably have to draw a stricter line than just saying official = non-spoiler."

No we won't. It may be your focus to avoid these "spoilers", but it surely not the forums aim.

Let's face it, TF.n and the JC are all built on the foundations of the spoiler forums. The NSA forums were added to allow people to avoid threads like "QUI GON DIES!! OMG!!!", but this doesn't mean that the entire JC has to take a zealous anti-info line.

We show respect by avoiding the SI style sneak peaks, but that is all the JC should have to provide. If a user finds NSA not "clean" enough, and it is something that cannot be handled in the rules (or tweaking thereof) of the NSA, then I say you may have to find alternative discussion arrangements.

This seems to hark back to the "Hard Core Spoiler Not allowed" Forum concept, and I seem to remember the suggestion back then was "Private ezboard with your own selected membership."

Having said that, if you're that Hard Core, I really suggest "The Cave Option", as I guarantee that some funny man will ruin it for you over the long months ahead.

UKS

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jeff 42...
    "At some point we'll probably have to draw a stricter line than just saying official = non-spoiler."

I vote for setting June 25, 2005 as that point.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yoda with a lightsaber was a spoiler.

and has ^said "funny man" to be Grilled-Sarlacc? I'd much rather have an idiot spoil me (Hi, Alex, yes, I'm still mad at you) than an admin/ the icon-manager.

Someone who wanted to be hardcore spoiler free should sacrifice himself and decided whether an icon is a spoiler or not. Because Yoda with a lightsaber was an icon.

Oh, and, Quix, I think nobody, not even Sithman maybe, made that big of a deal about that one particular Anakin icon. It's just become the prime example.

18. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I vote for setting June 25, 2005 as that point.

Seconded. :p

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can't tell if it helps/hurts that 75% of the Administrators of the site, plus the site owner, possibly don't understand where those of us who wish to remain as unspoil't as reasonably possible are coming from...

20. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

Oh, they understand, but realise that in the end, the Non-Spoiler dudes involved in this want to be able to post on a Message-board about Star Wars, yet not see any official Advertising or Pictures freely available about the Latest and Last Star Wars film.

Now, for this specific example, are teeny icons really gonna effect them? Will the film viewing epiphany for NSA'ers be effected by the fact you've seen some pictures out of context?

Remember, we're not talking about deleting NSA or allowing Script Fragments in JCC.. this is just a case of official teaser pictures being allowed to be used across site.

UKS

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "to remain as unspoil't as reasonably possible"

Many people don't seem to find it reasonably, though

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Many people don't seem to find it reasonably, though

I don't either. I'm okay with there being a Spoiler/Non-Spoiler Forum. I'm okay with TF.n reports listing everything under the sun on TF.n (fortunately they've started clearing up the titles!). I'm okay with people accidentally mentioning something that's, in theory, a spoiler but deemed not as such by the TF.n staff.

But to intentionally go out of the way to "spoil" the harder-core NS people by posting pictures simply because they can? I draw the line there...

Previous to any Ep3 pic being an icon the ONLY way you could spoil yourself with a picture was to INTENTIONALLY go view it somewhere on TF.n marked clearly with spoilers. Now that choice has been removed and people (me included) don't like it.

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The way things have been done is that when it's released via the OS or an official outlet of the OS, it's fair game. This was in the LFL French magazine. Now it's an icon.

24. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    But to intentionally go out of the way to "spoil" the harder-core NS people by posting pictures simply because they can?

yes, because it is my mission as an icon-maker to spoil you non-spoiler people. [face_plain]

That's not how it is, and I really hope that's not what you really think. The new images being released are exactly that: new images. As an icon maker, new material is exciting to use. So far, I haven't seen anything that could be considered a spoiler. They're simply shots of people's faces, nothing more or less. There's no plot revealed in that.

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Relax, there's no reason to get upset. The policy followed for uploading the Anakin icon is exactly as it has been since at least June '01 when I joined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.