main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Perhaps the ONLY thing Disney could have done differently with regards to marketing Aladdin is to release "Shameless" and "A Whole New World" weeks or at least one week before release. Not the Zayn Mallick version of AWNW but the actual Naomi Scott versions for both songs. Not sure if it would have helped but it would have turned the attention to how great their voices really are and that's where the focus would have been.

I am feeling like Disney REALLY needs to stop with these after TLK (yeah I know Mulan is coming but.....). It's almost as if they are actually hurting their brand name than helping. I know, I know-they are trying to update their properties and make the attractions at parks more modern and updated. At some point, nobody is going to care about the classic animated films as generations age so I guess this is there way to pump it back into people's veins (not a lot different than making new SW films in order to keep them relevant). But there gets to a point where it all backfires. And we are DEFINITELY seeing that.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Speaking of general Star Wars trends and what it portends for IX, the official Star Wars YouTube channel traffic (See alo: Google Trends data):

[​IMG]
    (Source: Kedoo analytics)

3. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Ouch!!! :oops:That flatline between 2018 and 2019 (when the TROS teaser dropped) really really hurts. The time between TFA and RO and then between RO and TLJ and EVEN between TLJ and Solo never saw that.

I have NO idea what "subs" are except the kind with bread and meat!

Jesta' likes this.
  4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    YouTube user subscriptions (followers) to the channel.

5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    How are views low but subscribers increasing? Subscribers subscribe without viewing?

6. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'm guessing when people stop watching the videos most don't bother to click unsubscribe, they just scroll passed them instead.

7. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Those views are monthly views. So the count resets to zero at the beginning of each month. The subs stat is just a running cumulative total. People sub then never bother unsubbing, regardless of how often they watch the channel's content.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    To be fair, one does not have to visit the Star Wars YouTube channel to see trailers and stuff. Not only is there a slew of channels now that will have it (including channels dedicated to showing trailers only) but also now so many people watch videos on other platforms.

9. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Back in 2015 there wasn’t as many outlets to view the trailers/tv spots/interviews. So most people went to the official SW YouTube channel to do so. Now we have so many different channels and medians that can show these things. The decrease is probably not a good thing, but is has many factors contributing.

10. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yes but the numbers of subscribers (according to the graph) is increasing.

But anyway. That chart will be interesting to look at in the fall.

11. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Those that stop watching don't unsubscribe and each new push (especially around Celebration/trailer drops) gets new subscribers. You can see the little boosts in sub numbers around April in 15, 17, and 19.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Looks like Endgame's run in China is done, ending up at around $628M. If it ends up just shy of Avatar worldwide, not getting an extension in China may be the biggest factor among the various culprits. It could probably have wrung another $10-15M out of there with some extra time to pad that total.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just wait until the Director's Cut!

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Darth Buzz

Including people just being into other things. A little preview clip from Stranger Things 3 has been trending for three days now on YT. I know it sounds crazy but interest in streaming TV has exploded in the few years since TFA came out. There are just so many other interests out there now. Keep in mind too, a lot of young people simply watch YouTube videos of other things especially Forenite videos and stuff of that nature. I am sure @jedijax can tell you all about that. It's like an epidemic at the high school I am at.

Looks like Aladdin is going to get either a rotten score or at best a non certified fresh one. Two years in a row Disney has released a major tentpole movie on Memorial Day Weekend and for two years they look to be total duds. Pirates 5 was released Memorial Day Weekend 2017 and it might not did what it wanted domestically but as able to scoop up enough money worldwide (about $800 million) that Pirates 6 has been greenlight.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I wasn't expecting much but that looks honestly worse then Terminator Genisys. Good to see Linda Hamilton back but honestly other then that it looks dreadful.
    It also looks like they are completing making the first two terminator movies especially T2 completely null and void since John apparenly will be dead in this timeline therefore Sarah Connor becomes the new leader of the resistance. I think I vomitted in my mouth a bit.

Othini likes this.
  16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, there's still time for reviews to push to back to fresh (or deeper into rotten) but unless there's a rush of positives and no more negatives it's not getting close to certified. Best hope is for good WOM and audience reactions. POTC5 territory domestically wouldn't be good but $800 million WW would be amazing. Feels like even that might be out of reach though. Hope not as I'd be interested to see what they could do with an Aladdin sequel (at the very least new Alan Menken music would make that worth while). Seems like everyone else is getting one and I'm feeling left out [face_laugh])

17. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Holy:(

The trailer is cut like a C horror movie minus the coolness of that definition.
    Where is the tension, the build up from the 90s version?

I dont want to sound like a drama queen here, so rather moderate my words.
    Just gotta say that this Terminator teaser trailer lacks a bit of it all. They did not even find the golden chance of using Brad Friedels score a genuine opportunity to create a line between this new and the old. The visual effects work that ILM did for T2 was as much a revolution as Star Wars was in 1977. Although it started with The Abyss. This trailer is not innovative, and neither did i think it would be, but talk about going back.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yes POTC5/Mary Poppins Returns domestically IF it has an OW they say it will. But if that does happen, I think that $600 million WW will be max.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    What's supposed to be wrong with that flatline? :confused:
    You do realize that there is a very obvious reason why next to nothing happened during that time, yes?

2015 saw a teaser, bts-reel, full trailer and tv-spots for TFA. 2016 saw two teasers, a bts-reel, a full trailer and tv-spots for Rogue One. 2017 saw much of the same for TLJ. Then came the change of pace, as Solo came out in May of 2018 instead of December. This in turn also leads to the first "big" gap in releases, 1 1/2 years until IX. There was no video of any note between the release of Solo and the teaser for IX. Of course there is going to be a lull at some point, and of course you wouldn't have seen that at any other time, because there was never any break before that. There is nothing shocking or bad about anything to be seen here, it is completely obvious and logical. Seems more like an overreaction on your part.

KyleKartan, IlhamKamaruddin and Xael like this.
  20. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    Your wrong, it was just Russian Bots redirecting traffic. People were trying to look at the Star Wars Youtube channel, they just couldn't.

2Cleva, Luke02 and Alliyah Skywalker like this.
  21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Nobody cares about the Star Wars youtube channel.

A proper graph would be for the global Google, Twitter and Facebook trends, not for a specific channel that is smaller than many fan-based Star Wars channels.

Darth Buzz likes this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The original Terminator is top three of my all time favorite movies, and I've been waiting for a worthy follow up for T2 ever since it came out. I liked this trailer actually far better than anything from Genisys, but,
    Is it a spoiler that John is dead? Seriously? That would kill it for me. I googled for spoilers and I just found a bunch of rumors and speculation. I really hope it's not confirmed that he's just irrelevant. I'd add this movie to the pile of all the other garbage Terminator successors. The only one I liked was the television show.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It's just speculation @AhsokaSolo
    but all the pieces all seem to fit together that John is dead in this timeline. He is only been cast as a young boy and the belief is he dies shortly after the events of T2 hence why it is called "Dark Fate" since it's a fate without John Connor. Sarah is now the leader of the resistance according to the synposis therefore she is there to help protect the young Latino girl who most likely will the mother of the new resistance leader and Mackenzie Davis character is a human cyborg sent back by unnamed/unborn resistance leader as it's another soft reboot. Or perhaps she is the new resistance leader just doesn't it. But either way the loop begins again with Arnie playing aging terminator so perhaps he is the one that killed John has a young boy that start off this timeline but Sarah was somehow able to recapture/reprogram him.
    And I agree. Not fan of it at all. Makes the first two movies completely irrevelant and really destroys the mythology of the Terminator franchise. I wish they would just stopped at T2. This is a total mess again outside of what you mention the TV show. That was fun and different. Sarah's character was great in it and we got to see John act more then a McGuffin.

24. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    OMG if they say John died shortly after T2, I put that up there with Alien 3 in stupidity, in terms of killing Newt in the first 30 seconds. Who wants to see that story? WTF? I'm holding out hope that John is actually a surprise twist in the film. Who TF was looking for a soft reboot with a new John Connor?!

25. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Oh dear, I wasn`t aware of any of this.
    Way to render the entire franchise so far null and void. Is this a current trend of burning the existing foundation to the ground before you go and build a new house on the crater? Because that won`t work too well.
    I enjoyed the TV show as well.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.