main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Oh. My link did not work. Anyway, it was a poster for Lion King 3 - the dark days of Disney.
    Little Mermaid is a bit silly for live action in my view, but sure, a lot of people would watch that.

Btw. Glass is already rotten at RT ahead of its opening this weekend.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I keep forgetting Mermaid wasn't technically 90s since it's always lumped in with that era of Disney. Hercules could be a lot of fun if they kept the tone of the original. I would love a more adult version of Hunchback, the stage version was incredible.

Not 90s but they're working on Lilo and Stitch and are apparently happy with the script so that's coming.

Makes sense. Dumbo, Aladdin and Lion King will all be out by then, as will all the Marvel Studios films, so except Episode IX (behind the scenes reel) the focus will be on 2020 and beyond. Mulan and Maleficent 2 will be the main focus in terms of adaptations but I'd expect official announcements on Mermaid and Stitch to be made as well.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    While 2020 isn't a OMG year like this one is going to be, it still has some plenty of thump to it. Here are some of the highlights:

- Bond 25
    - Furious 9
    - Trolls 2
    - Wonder Woman 1984
    - Top Gun: Maverick
    - Minions 2
    - The Jungle Cruise
    - Sing 2

You also have a couple place holders for Marvel and DC that have not been announced yet. So while 2020 will not be like 2019 (but frankly what will at this point?) it's still going to see some big players show up.

Meanwhile Aquaman after a decent weekend is assure of a $300/1+ billion split. Pretty crazy to think it will be the first DCEU movie to do that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Im actually amazed that you and other people are believing this spin from Disney.This is EXACTLY the same tactic they used to drum up interest for Solo with their '' SOLO PRESALE TICKETS EXCEED BLACK PANTHER!!! '' news articles they had going prior to release.Well we all know how THAT turned out right?

Im actually thinking Captain Marvel will underperform for a number of reasons.Main reason being the ridiculous woke feminist agenda they are playing up in the marketing ( '' She is a HER......O ! '' ).Number two is Brie Larson and her idiotic comments to the media that she doesnt care what white males over 40 care about her movies ( I bet Disney was REALLY happy when she made those comments ! ).Number three is Larson is a really overrated actress and comes across as quite wooden in the trailers

.Number four is that the Captain Marvel movie coming from DC in april looks so much better with a much more likeable and appealing lead!

5. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    As I pointed out before, Star Wars and Marvel and other big budget movies behave differently on presales domestically, so comparing Marvel vs. Marvel is better comparison than Star Wars vs. Marvel. First entries / prequels / origin stories also behave differently than sequels do.

[​IMG]

6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    You have to take the whole presale data with some grain of salt. They are much more prevalent now than even five years ago, let alone when the MCU started. With more and more theaters having reserved seating, presales are more frequent and beneficial for the theatergoer. By all means Captain Marvel will open big but to assume it at $160M+ from those first 24 hours of sales might be a little rash.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
  8. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    It will be an important movie for the BO, first MCU after the end of the avengers.
    Look like a good, fun summer movie but I will watch once upon a time in Hollywood this summer.

leopardhk47 likes this.
  9. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Right now the movie seems out of place and confusing in the light of the real focus: the battle against Thanos. Either this takes place prior to either Thanos movies OR things are reset to a world where the Avengers start all over. My theory is that the ones who turned to dust become the new Avengers and those that didn't turn to dust are reset to a pre-Avengers existence. Having turned to dust, Nick Fury is part of the new Avengers and begins a mission to restart the Avenger initiative.

10. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    I'm amazed that you think that Captain Marvel will fail because of Brie's 7 month-old comment on the white male critics reviews of A Wrinkle In Time.

Of course, the lead of Shazam's own controversial comments about sex and race isn't an issue.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Guidman

Yeah I think Solo showed that early online ticket sales doesn't mean much other then the rabidness of the core fan for that film. I think a better indictator is how ticket sales are going with about a week to go and leading up to Thursday Previews. If the demand is strong during Premiere Week then you are going to see a good number put up for OW.

And the movie going experience has really changed over the past several years even compared to what it was a few years back when TFA came out. As you said more and more theaters are doing reserved seating. Matter of fact I think the only major movie chain that doesn't have reserved seating is Cinemark. And my guess that will change soon enough once they redo their theaters since they are also the only ones with traditional stadium seating. Both Regal and AMC have moved to the leather recliner seats. I suspect Cinemark will eventually redo their theaters for a similiar look though I might be one of the few that perfers traditional stadium seating. The leather recliners put me to sleep.

@jedijax

I believe the snyposis online says that it takes place after the events of End Game but that doesn't make much sense to me. If anything this should take place before Infinity War though I guess it could take place after End Game as a way to start off Avengers 2.0. Spidey is definitely going to one of the main players in Avengers 2.0 along with Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man/Wasp and Black Panther.

12. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    There’s this weird online contingent of people obsessed with saying Shazam is the real Captain Marvel that everyone is excited for, but I’ve seen zero evidence of it in normal life or in any single actual poll compiling votes anywhere. Captain Marvel is higher by a significant margin than Shazam on every single poll/survey I’ve seen. Twitter, Fandango, Facebook, whatever. Shoot even the Captain Marvel subreddit has more subscribers than Shazam’s.

This is nothing like Solo. Solo followed a divisive film and online hype was muted across the board imo, not just from one demographic particularly obsessed with the politics of the actor. Captain Marvel, otoh, leads into Endgame, the most hyped movie of the year probably. Shazam will do fine also, I’m definitely gonna see it (and Captain Marvel), but I mainly only see that one demographic obsessed with politics really talking about it, and it’s almost always in comparison to Captain Marvel. It’s just an excuse to jab at that movie.

NHB0M and 2Cleva like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The only thing I can see slowly Captain Marvel down "slightly" is Dumbo at the end of the month. There will be a bit of demos crossing together mostly families with a bit older kids who will opt most likely to see Dumbo for the first time instead of return viewing of CM. But by then CM will have a few weeks to run up the scoreboard including over spring breaks throughout this country including the last week of March which is where most schools have their break now.

I do think though expecting CM to do what BP did is unrealistic. $700 million plus domestically is still extremely rare air that only three films have ever smelled before to but BP really had a perfect release date that allowed to just rampage for a month before Pacific Rim 2 and Ready Player One came out. And neither one of those movies did anything to stellar at the box office. CM will have more competition so it won't be able to roam as much.

Edit: I should also add I don't there is not quite the same interest in CM as there was in BP at this point though that could change. I do think having Black Panther's introduction in Civil War really garner up interest in the movie especially early one compared to Captain Marvel since this is a true origin film since she has yet to be introduced in any MCU movie outside of a reference in Ant-Man 2. The interest for CM is definitely high but I don't think it will reach that of BP for the reasons above.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    AhsokaSolo likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think they may go back in time and change the events of Infinity War so that the Avengers win and the snap never happened but they aren't going to completely erase the entire pre-Endgame timeline. It would completely invalidate their own films. And how could we ever trust the storytellers aren't going to completely rewrite continuity again with the next big event? Nah, not gonna happen.

My theory is that the quantum realm acts somewhat like the World Between Worlds from Rebels where all of time is happening at once. Ant-Man escapes by going through one of these "portals" that takes him to a few years after the Snappening. He tells the remaining Avengers about his discovery and they form a plan to use the quantum realm to go back and defeat Thanos before he gets the time stone. They defeat him and the snap never happened. Everyone lives! Well, except for all the pre-Snap deaths.

Stark retires, marries Pepper and they have their baby. Ant-Man takes Cap back into the quantum realm where he goes through a portal taking him to just after he went down into the ocean and froze and he gets to live happily ever after with Peggy. Thor carries on. There's still the unfinished business of trying to rebuild Asgard which has great story potential. Plus while it feels like the end for Downey Jr. and Evans, it feels like Hemsworth has just hit his stride as Thor. I think we'll either see a Thor 4 or Thor will have a big role in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (or hopefully both!)

15. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Here's what happens with Captain Marvel under many but not all scenarios (<$90M and >$210M not accounted for on the chart).

[​IMG]

BoxOfficePro website has it penciled in between $140-$180M for $465M domestic. They usually underestimate Marvel a little bit, Black Panther being the largest example.

16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    This puts it a bit over Wonder Woman domestically, which I’m not sure about. Wonder Woman is a much more well-known, popular character, and she already got the hype for being the “first” female led superhero movie (she obviously wasn’t really, but in this era anyway). The wildcard to me is whether coming from the far more popular cinematic universe and leading into Endgame compensates for that.

17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    @Luke02 it makes sense if End Game changes history and reality which is what I think will happen.

@AhsokaSolo Captain Marvel has a chance at beating WW if people see it as a prologue to End Game. If it is and word on the street is that you have to see this movie first, then the sky's the limit I suppose.

@NHB0M you are right, I don't think anyone really cares what Brie says about a movie that hardly hit $100 million. Only those who really pay attention to that nonsense even know what she said in the first place. I had to look it up because I hadn't heard about it until brought up here. And I still don't care lol.

I think that if Captain Marvel was just a film that stood by itself and only for her character, the movie would struggle to do better than Ant Man numbers. But this movie has MUCH more impact than that and should tie a LOT of things together. We can only hope that SW IX does the same for its trilogy.

As for Spidey FFH-I'm just not feeling it AT ALL. My only question is what future supervillain is Mysterio somehow tied to that this new phase will have to tackle someday?

NHB0M, IlhamKamaruddin and AhsokaSolo like this.
  18. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    @Darth Chiznuk I like that quantum relam theory and your post made my head hurts a bit less. Because that Spiderman trailer makes little or no sense to me regarding the timeline for End Game.

I watched Spiderman; Into the Spiderverse last week and it was pretty great. Far from Home...its looks like a Netflix movie, a generic mess visually. And while they managed to charm some people with the John Hughes 80s teencomedy style of Homecoming, this tagline «going to Europe»...for the sequel, is taking the 80s approach too far. Is it a joke or? In the 80s, when they did run out of ideas for the sequel, the heroes always went to Europe for some stupid adventure. Bring on the Eiffel Tower and Tower Bridge. Duh. Tom Holland is very likable though.

I want to talk about Star Wars Episode IX. We need a title, some substantial rumours, and a teaser.

19. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    @Darth Chiznuk I actually think that they change it such that the likes of Stark and Rogers hadn't become Avengers....at least not yet. Hence Stark dreaming of having a kid and it seeming real. He saw another reality. Also Rogers looking at Peg's picture in the teaser may also be telling.

20. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Absolutely agree with this. I'm assuming that Captain Marvel was delayed so long just because they decided to directly tie it in to Endgame. If it ends up that the timing is just coincidental, and the word-of-mouth is it's a standalone that only indirectly ties into Endgame by implying why she can help defeat Thanos or something, I expect it to be closer to Ant Man. It's kind of like IX to me. I feel like it's impossible to make predictions without a stronger sense of the story. These things aren't just about anticipation or hype. For example, I'm willing to predict a steep drop off for Glass after OW because of the RT score and what I've seen of the word-of-mouth from early screeners. If the reception was glowing, I wouldn't.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it's foreshadowing that Pepper is pregnant. She just doesn't know it yet.

They don't need to take a sledge hammer to the entire MCU just because Downey Jr. and Evans are leaving. Evans is still pretty young so I could even see him returning to play Cap again after some time off from the role. But even if neither character returns the franchise is still in a very healthy position. They just got Fantastic Four and the X-Men back so there's enormous storytelling potential for years and years to come. As much as I love Cap and Iron Man, Marvel is nowhere near the type of desperate situation where they'd need to essentially reboot the series just to keep them around.

22. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    It takes just a little wind out of Endgame's sails knowing that the world's been un-snapped. What I hope they don't do is make it so that the snap never happened because I want to see the massive fallout of everyone being snapped and then coming back with the knowledge of their deaths. Then the world will have really changed. Either way they un-snap people, I don't think the timeline will be re-written to the point that the Avengers never existed, probably make it so that Thanos never invades Earth. It will be interesting to see how well FFH does as the first post-Infinity War MCU movie. There's not doubt it'll do well, it's just a question of how well.

I can't wait until we get the first legit teaser for Episode 9! Then the betting can really start!

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    $3.7 million for Glass on Preview Thursday. Could break $50 plus million this holiday weekend. If it does, it will be the second biggest opening on MJK holiday weekend ever. Meanwhile Acquaman will make it into the $300 million domestic club. That means 2018 will end with 6 movies that made $300 million plus. That is down from 2017 and 2016 where six movies hit that mark. But keep in mind there were 3 movies that hit over $600 million domestically. First time that is ever happened.

24. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Im actually predicting that Far From Home will underperform due to Spider Man fatigue.Theres been a spidey appearance EVERY year for the last four years or so.Spidey in Civil War.Spidey in Homecoming.Spidey in Infinity War.Spidey in Into The Spiderverse.Spidey in Endgame.Oh and another Spider Man film this year.

Enough already!

25. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Spider-Man is definitely one if not the most overexposed superhero right now.

You forgot the video game:

[​IMG]

It still sold well (for a video game) last year at about 9 million units.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    2Cleva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.