main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Are we looking around $3 million for the 4-day weekend or more like $2 million ?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Add the additional million as I plan to attempt one more screening.

3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    By comparison with TLJ, TROS will make more or less an additional 4.5 M to 5 M DOM. Considering about the same for overseas, then it can make about 10M WW more than what it has now.

rocknroll41 and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  5. SWRed7

SWRed7 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Sonic looks like it put up a Good Friday. Better than expected.

I like seeing movies do better than anticipated. I hope it’s fun. My son wants to see it

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Luke02 and nilzo antonio like this.
  6. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Found a theater that is showing this 30min away tonight, so I snagged a seat. To my surprise the theater is very near sold out for TROS.

The funny thing is this is now my 5th time I've seen TROS in theaters, which is the most out of all the new films. TROS is easily my least favorite of the ST, yet i've seen it the most. I think I just don't want to let the Skywalker Saga go, and I know this is the last Star Wars film I will DEEPLY care about. I grew up with this saga and it is a very big deal to me, so its kinda sad to see it leave the cinemas. We won't be getting anything in theaters for a long time and the TV stuff has been mediocre IMO, so I'm enjoying it while we have it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    There are no cinemas near me still showing it . Annoyingly due to a generally busy schedule I only managed to see it once, on release week.

I’ve seen all other Star Wars films at least 3 times in cinemas, and it’s not that I dislike ROS but I guess after such a cluster of film releases, the “need” to have multiple viewings has waned.

It’s gonna be a painful wait until the digital release.

8. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

$1,267,000 for the 3 day weekend

Domestic (48.1%)
    $512,994,363
    International (51.9%)
    $553,963,044

Worldwide
    $1,066,957,407

Will pass Toy Story 3 tomorrow to sit #33 of all time worldwide........

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    rocknroll41 and Ricardo Funes like this.
  9. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Interesting JJ Abrams holds the record for the largest drop in a franchise of $1 billion shaved off from TFA to The Rise of Skywalker ,

But don't panic in early 2022 - James Cameron will take over the mantle when Avatar 2 shaves off approx. $1.5 billion from Avatar 1.

indydefense and rocknroll41 like this.
  10. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I got three viewings in, and as I recall I only got out to the other ST films twice.

11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Well part of that is because there was so far to fall from TFA's incredibly high WW gross. There have been worse drops comparatively. TROS will earn about 48% of TFA's gross domestically, according to this BO website.

Transformers: The Last Knight earned only 47% of Dark of the Moon's $1.29 billion adj WW gross, and Crimes of Grindelwald earned only 42% of HP and the Deathly Hallows II's $1.54 billion adj WW gross. If you go back further, Jaws 3 or Rocky 5 or Superman 4 only made a fraction of the highest earners in their franchises.

In most cases, if you make less than half of your predecessor, you're going to lose money, but since TFA was such a blockbuster, TROS will still end up earning Disney $100 - 200 million. So, a much better place to be than these other movies.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    chris hayes likes this.
  12. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    It's worth remembering that the CT sequels didn't match the original film, and never caught up in terms of earnings. The miracle in those days was that the sequels did well at all, since sequels usually flopped. Interestingly the only recent films to have had successful sequels were genre films, and two of them were made by friends of George Lucas--his fellow "movie brats."

13. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012

Avatar 2 domestically will probably have a HUGE drop but overseas it will be massive.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    It’s weird how TRoS made more money than R1 internationally, but failed to catch it domestically.

IlhamKamaruddin and chris hayes like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm happy for Sonic's success. Hopefully this opens a door for decent-good video game movies.

godisawesome and JeanNo like this.
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That is because @rocknroll41 IMHO that fans in North America are more all or nothing plus there is more options entertainment wise to move on especially since the movie is seen by most as entertaining enough but nothing to keep going back for over and over again.

I do too @I Are The Internets since there are so many great video game stories that be awesome to be turned into a movie or even movie series. I took this morning to go see it and they love it even though they really did not know the character. To me it was just a trip down nostalgia lane between Sonic + Jim Carrey as I felt like it was 1994 and I was 16 LOL!

17. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Realistically Avatar 2 will do about $1.3 billion worldwide hence shaving off about $1.4 to 1.5 billion from Avatar 1.....

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I honestly think Avatar 2 @chris hayes has a good chance of being the next $2 billion film worldwide. I really think it being on Disney+ was a huge lift for it domestically while I always thought it do well internationally since it's the type of film that plays well thru language barriers.

19. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    It could do close to a billion in China alone apparently.

IlhamKamaruddin and Luke02 like this.
  20. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    People should know by now never to underestimate James Cameron:

21. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Welp, I was wrong on Indy 5. Guess we are getting it next year. Definitely won't be seeing it until I get some spoilers, after TFA...even though Frank Marshall did say they wouldn't be dumb enough to kill Indy, I would not put it past Disney. I guess the betting now is whether Mutt will be back? Or will he have died in some tragic vine swinging accident?

22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    when you factor in how many films are on the all time box office list domestic and worldwide I think the Disney Star Wars films are doing pretty good. I mean were not talking about top 3 all time or even top 10 but to crack top 20 to me is pretty damn good! how many films are on the all time box office list? I think the only reason people knock these Disney Instalments box office they think it justifies them not liking them. I still conclude around 48% of people didn't like TLJ and around 48% of people didn't like TROS its still a lot of people that didn't like them but most liked them. as for Solo most people I talk to loved Solo but for whatever reason it bombed at the box office I think marketing and it was two soon released after TLJ...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think far fewer people saw Solo. Those who did are more inclined to like Star Wars, fantasy, and Science Fiction. It's ironic what a non-issue Solo as a movie has been after its release. No controversy really or outraged YouTube channels.

Luke02 likes this.
  24. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-jumanji-3-box-office-competition/

Maybe Lucasfilm should hire The Rock as the next Sith Lord.
    Or Karen Gillan as
    that redhead wife of that famous Jedi Knight who blew the Death Star

Jokes aside, anyone else annoyed with this franchise ( Jumanji)being labeled as Star Wars killer ? As the movies that hurt TLJ and TROS BO totals ?

25. SWRed7

SWRed7 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Cant say I am. The first one was fun. Haven’t watched the second one yet. No problems with them. Too busy seeing TROS a dozen times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.