main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Am I wrong or doesn't TFA still hold the Thursday preview record with about $57 million? Infinity War was about $40 million, so that's a big hurdle for Endgame, though I won't be surprised if it breaks the record.

IlhamKamaruddin and Prime Jedi like this.
  3. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    @Alliyah Skywalker but EG has inflation in his favor, especially in China/ Asia where EG is making most of its money. So there is balance between ER and Inflation.
    If we rank in admission worldwide Avatar will never be beaten like gone with winds will never be beaten in the US.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Prime Jedi likes this.
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Even with inflation, it doesn't match the exchange rates of 2009/2010. That really is what help push Avatar to $3 billion. That and being the first with 3D along with having zero competition for a long long time. Whatever End Game does it's going to be monsterous. $2 billion plus looks like a lock now worldwide.

And if you think that is bad @Prime Jedi, next month will mark 20 years since TPM. I was just finishing my junior year of college then (my last final was the day it came out) and would not even meet my wife for another three years. Now that is scary!

Edit: Count is up to 212 on RT. Only 8 are still rotten. Considering the early audience WOM is insane, we could really be seeing absolute insane number this weekend.

I don't think TFA preview Thursday record will be broken though. That had the perfect release date as most schools were on the old calendar where our winter break was before finals as schools were being let out. Now there is too much going on for people to come out in drove like that for a Thursday preview. But it's still going to be a huge number.

5. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Its is. About $62 mill adjusted for TFA. Think End Game at least has to be at about the same number + over TFAs total OD, to have any chance to get to $ 300 mill. Pre sales are above IW and its much more frontloaded because of the cliffhanger.There are other factors though that could prevent it reaching TFA previews. How many shows can they pack in tonight?

6. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    China isn't where the difference between Endgame and Avatar will be measured. That will be in Europe, Japan, and Australia. IW already far out grossed Avatar in China ($359M vs $204M) and Endgame will easily do the same. But for some comparisons in those markets I mentioned:

Australia: Infinity War - $46.8M Avatar - $105.8M
    France: Infinity War - $47.6M Avatar - $175.6M
    Germany: Infinity War - $45.4M Avatar - $ 162.3M
    Italy: Infinity War - $22.8M Avatar - $83.5M
    Japan: Infinity War - $33.8M Avatar - $172M
    Russia: Infinity War - $34.6M Avatar - $117M

Endgame will have to show orders of magnitude growth in those markets to surpass Avatar.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The start in Germany is certainly promising. Disney announced the 7th biggest opening day of alltime in terms of admissions, maybe it can even get up to 5th place with actuals. It's also third in terms of local currency behind TFA and TLJ. There isn't really one coherent chart though, as some movies got announced with previews that happened the day before, while others didn't, so the numbers are all over the place.

Endgame's OD doubled IW's though.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  8. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    I'm going to see EG tomorrow because I want to see how Thor/Captain and iron man story end and I'm pretty excited about this movie, I was one of the first MCU fan I saw iron man on theater and those 3 are part of my childhood.
    Outside of IW that I really liked I think that the last marvel movies were underwhelming I hope this one is a good ending to a saga I used to love so much, as much as SW before TFA. I remember the hype I had for Civil war few years ago, but it was my first disappointment.

Talking about BO marvel won this decade (except if TRoS end up beating avatar and becoming biggest of all time but we know it ain't going to happen)
    But with the original avengers gone (I guess they said it was the last of many character but I didn't read any spoiler for EG so maybe not) and the Skywalker saga Ending. this will be interesting to see who one the next one. Maybe the MCU again, maybe avatar, maybe The new SW saga. Maybe FF or transforms who knows or maybe something new.
    It will be interesting.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    A PG-13 Game of Thrones movie series. That is what will come in the next decade!

Who knows maybe the GOT guys will be able to do it with their SW series.

10. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    A GOT movie series would be a great success and I'm pretty sure HBO is considering to do it.
    They should release the last episode of the show on Theater it could have a shot at 1 billion $ but I'm not sure they can.

11. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Just completed my purchase for tickets to a 10:45PM showing of Avengers Endgame tomorrow(Friday)!! Watch IW last night just to freshen up and have been completely spoiler free which is a must. Also very excited to get to see The Rise of Skywalker Trailer on the big screen before hand!

12. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Thats gonna be Star Wars / GOT :) HBO are loosing Benioff and Weiss to Disney / Lucasfill now. There are several GOT spin off series in development for HBO though. Btw, several high profiled cinemas in my country got to screen the first spisode of GOT season 8, two weeks ago. I was not threre sadly.

13. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Back onto ROS box office for a moment, they really have some opportunities to build incredible hype and anticipation if done right. I posted this on the rumors/spoilers thread too.

Instead of making ROS seem like a finale to THIS trilogy, they can really make it a finale to 42 years of film. Make it out as a real "dark side vs light side" war and make it seem like Sideous has been behind ALL of this one way or another since the beginning of this saga. He simply went "dormant" for a while after being "killed" by Vader. Mirros Sauron and Voldemort, sure, but why not. And just as Thanos was looking for his stones, Sideous could have been looking for a way to come back and Ben Solo was the key to that.

If the movie is hyped as the true finale to 9 Skywalker films (hence the title?) then they could have something really special.

14. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    I do believe if the movie has great review from both critics and fans and as you said the succeed to build some hype I can see it topping 800 million US.
    the movie is the final chapter of the saga and it has a great release date.

15. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I definitely think TROS will make more than TLJ, but less than TFA. That would be standard for the third film in a SW trilogy.

16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I have long thought that the best way for Episode IX to be a monster hit to rival TFA would be to market it as the conclusion to a IX episode saga. I like the RoS teaser quite a bit, but I don't think it feels like that in the same way, for example, Endgame marketing felt like it was emphasizing a film that was the culmination of a decade+ of films. The RoS teaser felt like it was promoting the end of the ST, with some more fanservice from the previous films, just like TFA and TLJ. It just doesn't feel like one big nine film story.

17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I don't think the first teaser for TROS should focus on the entire saga. It should be almost solely about the film. Later trailers and marketing will incorporate this being a culmination of 40 years of films.

18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    @Ubraniff Zalkaz ~ I agree with that. I think if they go that way it would be better for the film.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Agreed. Sell the movie. Sell the conclusion of the trilogy. Let people draw their own conclusions about whether Star Wars works as a 9 part saga. I wouldn't want to have to sell that concept.

20. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Except KK and JJ both talked about this culminating the entire saga. It was one of the first things they said when pitching the movie at Celebration.

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    not only this is what they should learn from Endgame, also that it should be a team effort with everyone to shine.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and AhsokaSolo like this.
  22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I don't think the teaser really came across as if to conclude anything. That's not a bad thing necessarily. I think it was simply meaning to just give us some visions and images without a cohesive theme. But the laugh at the end along with the title hinted that this was something much bigger than just a part 3 and truly a part 9 of some sorts.

End Game has something directly to answer to. RoS, based on what we've seen doesn't. Not yet. I think that's where they are headed and JJ and KK really seemed to be pointing to that. They seem to have taken what wasn't seen like a plan and turn it into something that really comes across like a big overall plan. That's my perception at least.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I mean there *was* that whole “the saga comes to end” title card...

24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The problem is they really didn't develop VII and more importantly VIII like they were supposed to be concluding anything except maybe the Jedi. Now their hook they conjured up out of nothing is "uh show's all over folks, lights out, come see it!" That's not like Infinity War -> Endgame.

nightangel, 2Cleva and Luke02 like this.
  25. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
    Since “The End Game” is THE movie right now and it has been brought up, what are the chances it has the first ever $300M domestic opening weekend? I think it’s going to be darn close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.