main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Story Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 13, 2017.

1. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Hmm everyone dies? It'll be space Hamlet!
    Until the sequels when, psych there was another big bad in the shadows the whole time! Why didnt he do anything until now? Who knows. Who will stop it? Eh the Force will throw a dart at the wall this time for its chosen one.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was just joking about this the other day. After years of speculating how the ST is going to end we all know that even if the good guys prevail there's a string of new movies and TV shows around the corner that are going to introduce a new big bad hell bent on taking over the galaxy. It's kinda pointless to wonder who's going to win the titular Star Wars when the wars are never ending.

As far as the Force goes part of me feels like the ST randomly picking somebody to rise up against evil undermines the OT. In the OT we were led to believe that Luke was the galaxy's only hope. Now it seems like the ST is saying, "eh if nobody is immediately available to stop the evil Sith type character give it some time and the Force will randomly pick somebody who in time, perhaps ten to fifteen years down the road, will eventually rise to stop the bad guy. The franchise can no longer play the "we only have one hope left" card.

Tying this back to the topic at hand I'm not going to be surprised if Rey, a character Daisy has described as a cog who's not the center of the story, will very possibly die only to be replaced by the next cog the Force randomly picks. I only hope that when that happens our new hero's backstory isn't pointless enshrouded in mystery.

Roosterq and bluealien1 like this.
  3. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Id like Luke Skywalker to be so powerful in the Force that he can cross back into real world at will. That way he can have a better send off and train Rey properly.

We need a few years break to allow her to train (we don’t need to see it, just mention it in the crawl) and also for Kylo to get properly bad so he is an actual villain to fear.

Luke could have used the knowledge of darth plagueis, but managed to stay good, and learnt how to channel the Force to preserve his life.

As a twist, Snoke learnt the same thing and comes back towards the end of the movie and kills Kylo. Rey and Luke kill Snoke but this time Luke can’t save himself.

This is a vague and rough idea. But if you give me millions of $$$ and a year or two hone it, I reckon my episode would make TLJ look redeemed and give it a purpose.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think this mindset is nonsense. If anyone is to be ‘so powerful in the Force they can cross back into the real world at will’ it’s Anakin Skywalker...the chosen one. Luke died. We have fans inventing new powers because they can’t accept that.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't know - I think it's a possibility, Luke is on the Return stage of the hero's journey in episode 8. By making the Return successfully he becomes the Master of Both Worlds. Now, sure, probably that means he'll be a force ghost. But we know George considered making Kenobi and Yoda flesh again in ROTJ, and we know that TLJ opens up all sorts of possibilities for the force. I don't think he will take corporeal form again - but I wouldn't rule it out 100%. I don't think he needs to. He can guide Rey and challenge Kylo as a Force ghost, but if they pulled a Gandalf the White with Luke, it would not surprise me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Pete Ren likes this.
  6. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    If Luke can take physical form again, so should Yoda and Anakin. I like the character, but I don’t see why he’s so much of a special case here, apart from fans wanting it.

Darth_Bertie and Darth Smurf like this.
  7. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Well, I think most of these things happen as the plot requires. If they want to find a way, they can do that.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Well, I think most of these things happen as the plot requires. If they want to find a way, they can do that.

Pete Ren likes this.
  9. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It would be more fitting to have Anakin play that kind of role, especially if it’s about bringing Ben to his senses. He is, after all, the victim, villain and hero of the franchise wrapped up in one big bow. It would be full circle. As Luke said to Leia about Ben, “I can’t save him.”

10. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    It was only an idea!!!!!!

I can accept Luke died thanks.

11. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    I doubt it will happen, but if LFL feel TLJ has caused damage (another argument I won’t have here), they might do something like this.

Many people will rightly ask if Luke can, why not Yoda and the rest and is agree. But it’s not nonsense and if it’s good enough for Tolkien, why not?

12. Pete Ren

Dec 27, 2017
    I reckon anything is possible, if it's felt having Master Skywalker back is going make for a ripping yarn! Give it some thought yourself and I'm sure a fan like yourself can come up up with a viable way to make it happen. Unless you don't want to :)

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If he's going to come back anyway, then he shouldn't have died to begin with. Either don't kill him off, or if you do, at least stick with it.

Roosterq likes this.
  14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I hooe he does not come back. It makes no sense story wise and would look like a movement done to please certain fans.

I would not have killed Luke in TLJ, but once it's done, undoing it would only cheapen both TLJ and IX.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Having Luke come back as a ghost is more than a little likely. It’s also okay. However, I do agree that having him come back in the flesh would seem, at least to me, like Lucasfilm bowing down to a subset of the fanbase, which I wouldn't be comfortable with. I love TLJ as a film in general, not just as a SW film. If that were to happen, I also think it would lessen the impact and somewhat cheapen TLJ.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  16. OGGUNGAN

OGGUNGAN Jedi Master

Dec 8, 2014
    I'm really going to enjoy force ghost Luke tormenting Kylo. That should be fun.

cerealbox and Krueger like this.
  17. Luke NEEDS to return in 9
    Only that could save the movie

18. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I could see Luke returning as a Force Ghost in IX for a backstory clarification scene with Rey, similar to the role Obi-wan played in ROTJ.

19. But everything that happened in 8 does not make any sense either
    So for me, Luke can return

Hell and even in Rebels Ahsoka travel in time that's fanservice

I do not understand why Luke can not have a moment like that
    it's fantasy

Maybe Luke has unlocked a new power of the force that makes her come back as Gandalf who knows

20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Problem is that they have made it very clear this is not about luke, this is about the new characters and there is quite clearly a very protective vibe over keeping that very VERY clear.

its like R2D2 is fairly pointless in the last 2 movies but is purely there because nostalgia and BB-8 is probably over shined to the point where they might aswell be waving to the audience saying hey look how awesome BB-8 is!

So episode 8 if anything was probably lukes time to shine while Episode 9 will be where they need to justify 2 episodes with these new characters to show it was worth it and giving the mixed direction of the last 2 movies thats gonna be tough.

But saying that if they cared at all about the fans disappointment they would at least find a way for luke to look cool in the next movie even if its very brief.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I like the Master of Both Worlds motif, especially if we get a some kind of metaphysical, existential threat from the Netherworld of the Force. I doubt it though. Feasible, but Luke needing Yoda to spell it out for him again wasn't so masterful, in any sense. Unfortunately, I don't think we've gotten enough exposition, however brief, on either Snoke's or Kylo's ultimate motivations. I'm probably wrong and it doesn't need to be spelled out.

I sensed Kylo's sincerity in creating a new paradigm when desperately asking Rey if she would please join him and his frustration at her old way of thinking. At least from his point of view. In a sense both Luke and Kylo were working to the same end from different points: "Let the past die/The Jedi must end". Kylo has some kind of vision for a new order absent the Sith/Jedi/Rebels with Rey at his side. There is definitely a sense of eroticism in her reaction to their finger touch and Kylo in the doghouse when she shuts the Falcon door on him. Luke, the father protesting the forbidden love. Kylo's new order is promising, that is until his ultimate frustration and his claim that he will destroy her, too. Kylo, in the dawg house, lol.

22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Same with Yoda and Kenobi.

23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    He wasn't really killed off like Kenobi. Even Yoda's end was more like his time had come. Luke's was a more like a spiritual, active sacrifice. In a way it is so passive in that he doesn't allow anyone to kill him. Kylo's off the hook. It was Luke's active sacrifice without implicating anyone besides himself.

24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I wonder if they should go a little Apocalypse Now in terms of story. The movie opens like 7 years later, and the war in nearly over and has taken its toll on the characters. After learning of his mother's death, Supreme Leader Kylo Ren has escaped though and run off to some far off dark side planet with his own Knights of Ren (his true-believers) and is essentially a crazed mad king. In this continue pursuit of his grandfather's destiny, thinks of himself as some Force Demi-god. Whereas Anakin was truly the Chosen One, Kylo is just full of himself. In fact, you can see just a little bit of old crazy Luke in him as well.

Rey and the group fight off the last of the FO, and go hunting for Kylo Ren. When they finally find him, they see only the crazed dark sider, talking to the dark side voices. His KOR praise his powers, etc, and think they're going to plan the next Order. They all enter one final battle with him, fight between realms of reality and of the force and Rey tries one last time to bring him back. In the end, nothing can save Kylo, as he's long gone, and they leave him to himself to suffer alone without any power.

The war is finally over.

vini and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  25. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Since Black One was destroyed on the attack on the Raddus, could Poe’s replacement fighter be a T-85? Or a different and new ship entirely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk