main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Title Discussion: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Is The Rise of Skywalker a good title?

1. Yes

207 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    But with that argument, does the title "The Rise of Jedi" sound right?

My thought on the title is that we're in for a history lesson in this movie. In this movie, we learn that the Skywalkers were created from manipulation of the Force by either Palpatine/Sidious or Snoke/Plagueis.

We also learn that Palpatine succeeded in cheating death, and because of that, the true Chosen One, Rey, comes to the rescue and brings true balance to the Force.

"A prophecy misread, could have been"

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. MyOnlyHope

MyOnlyHope Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I believe you are correct. Many people have been arguing that Kylo is inversing Anakin's journey since TFA was first released. This board can debate until the end of time if it was done well, but Kylo rising from his fall to the dark side, partnering with Rey to defeat his grandfather's manipulator for good, and inversing Anakin's development in the prequel trilogy is very likely what we'll see in December. Of course this also begs the question of how exactly Rey can be integrally involved... Well if Kylo's arc is an inverse of Anakin's, it demands that romantic love play a role. Anakin's love for Padme and fear of losing her led to his fall. He chose power over the love of his life: "love can't save you, only my new powers can." If this is a reverse telling, Kylo's love for Rey will lead to his rise in TROS (Rian Johnson has stated a few times his intention for Rey and Kylo was romantic drama in TLJ). The morality of it is up to debate, but that doesn't change the intention behind the relatinship canonically. In contrast to Anakin, Kylo will choose love over power: "my powers can't save you, only love can do that." This story... is incredibly simple and obvious once one accepts who the last Skywalker is. It always has been regardless of whether one likes it or dislikes it. Again, people can debate the execution and morality of it all forever, but all things considered this is very likely our story.

The title will wind up having multiple meanings. Yes it refers to Ben "rising" but it also will refer to Rey as she too is destined to become a part of the Skywalker family.

3. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Maybe? As far as the word "Jedi" is concerned, the grammar has always been tricky... people were heavily debating if The Last Jedi was singular or plural.

You're right about the Spanish title ("La Ascension de Skywalker"), but in Portuguese the 'Skywalker' of the title is more of an adjective than a noun ("A Ascensão Skywalker"). It's literally translated to "The Skywalker Ascension". Sounds like it's referring to the family/lineage as a whole. In order to be equivalent to the Spanish title, it should have been "A Ascenção de Skywalker" ("The Ascension of Skywalker"). The preposition "de" (which usually means "of") makes all the difference.

(I'm a native Portuguese speaker, by the way)

ETA: let me clarify that I do NOT speak Spanish, in spite of the similarities with Portuguese. So I might be completely wrong and 'Skywalker' in the Spanish title could also mean a group of people/an adjective even with the preposition "de".

4. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Considering Rey is the Luke of the ST, I still find it extremely hard to believe that Rey doesn't carry Skywalker blood. I think hers will be a big part of the rising. Hopefully Anakin and Luke will be backing her up, and Kylo probably will get to play too, but I don't think Rey will be ignored as part of the rising.

FWIW, if RJ intended overt romance, what stopped him? Maybe KK didn't feel like having a moment on screen reminiscent of Luke and Leia's ESB kiss...

5. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I agree Kylo is a protagonist (which by definition changes over the course of the story). However, I disagree that Rey is not the focus. From her first appearance on Jakku (Tatooine), her similiar outfit to Luke, her sudden rise in Force powers, and her mysterious parents made her the center of attention. Even in TLJ she is the protagonist, she even goes to Snoke’s throne room like Luke went to Palpatine’s on Death Star II, Kylo Ren standing in for Vader.

Finally, in the Rise of Skywalker, the trailer focuses on Rey in the desert preparing to fight Kylo. She is the hero, the Luke of this new trilogy.

moxlox likes this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    You may have a point there. The pre-opening marketing for TFA even tried to hide the fact that Rey was a Force user...going so far to show Finn prominently with the Skywalker saber rather than Rey. While it was pretty heavily insinuated that Kylo Ren was related to the Skywalkers but had gone dark. So before the film, many audiences were: 1) Already invested in Kylo as a tragic figure similar to Anakin, and 2) Curious about who Rey really is (no last name, no lightsaber etc.)

This either consciously or not, went some way to positioning the story as revolving around Kylo just as much as it revolves around Rey.

Couple that with the fact that Rey action figures/toys were not included in SW Monopoly and other marketing groupings that always included Kylo...

7. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

Mila Lazarus and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I hope your feelings are true. That we learn the truth about Anakin’s conception and more. If the Skywalkers were mesnt to be a bloodline of Sith according to Darth Plagueis design, it probably suprised Palyps that many Skywalkers became Jedi.

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't like the idea that the Skywalkers were meant to be a Sith bloodline. That would take away Palpatine's hard work corrupting Anakin, and then Anakin's redemption. It would also mean that it really was Anakin's destiny to follow the darkside forever, which he proved wrongly and that one always has a choice in the matter. No I think it's way more powerful that Palpatine took advantage of the situation, and corrupted the Force's chosen one.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    On the contrary its a testimony to Ashla (Light Side) that a bloodline of Sith made by Sith Lord all (save Kylo at the moment) became Jedi. It shows the power of the Light Side, that the Skywalkers one way or another become Lightside.

11. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    'The rise of Skywalker' sounds like something a villain would say. TFA and TLJ titles came from Snoke.

'The rise of Skywalker' was, thus, Snoke's fear.

Snoke is gone, and we have heard Palpatine's laughter. So, if you think about the title inSidiously, what about that 'rise' as being something not to be feared, but part of a plan, in the 'It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator' tradition? Will the rising Skywalker/s be 'walking into a trap' in IX?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Kato Sai likes this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Interesting point, Snoke did say in TFA “There has been an awakening,” and doesn't he say something about Luke being the last Jedi in TFA and TLJ? So maybe the titles are from Snoke.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    It reminds me of what Rey said before they saw Snoke. "Ben, when we touched hands, I saw your future. Just the shape of it but solid and clear. You will not bow before Snoke. You'll turn. I'll help you." Their bond is definitely integral to Ben's development.

MyOnlyHope and Kato Sai like this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    As it was with Revan and Bastila Shan (KOTOR), there Force bond had major ramifications for their personal journeys. Kylo has similiarities to Revan.

Jedi Knight Fett and Trikuza23 like this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    PT : The Rise of the Father
    OT : The Rise of the Son
    ST : The Rise of the Granddaughter

DarthRosie likes this.
  16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I would only change the last one, Rise of the Grandson (Ben).

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthRosie like this.
  17. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    PT: Rise of the Father?!

What didn't I get from the movies?[face_dunno]

godisawesome likes this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    No kidding

If anything it should be:

PT: the fall of the Skywalker
    OT: the redemption of the Skywalker
    ST: the rise of the Skywalker.

19. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    The Rise of Skywalker is about Luke. We will go through most of the movie with little to no reference to Luke then when it matters most he will Rise and show up to defeat the bad guys then he will vanish and tell Rey the thousands of years are in her now or whatever...

Rodie likes this.
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    While I will not rule out the possibility we are in for a revelation about Rey and Kylo, I feel the Rise of Skywalker is about the legacy, that the Force now has two successors: Rey trained by Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren a Solo-Skywalker. The teachings of the Jedi and Sith now will stem either way from the Skywalkers and that along with Force Ghosts, will be their immortality.

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    This sounds the most like JJ. We really feel the absence of Luke in Acts 1 and 2. Maybe we even get a flashback (via Leia meditating or something) of younger Luke and Leia, and that makes us miss him even more.

But then at the very low-point of the narrative, Luke's spirit shows up to speak to Rey for the first time, and then he's very instrumental in Act 3 of movie in some Force Ghost capacity we've never seen before. Then once Luke has helped the Resistance in a cool way, and he's spoken to Kylo, etc., we get another speech scene with Rey where he "passes the baton" completely (a thousand generations are in you now, etc.) and she faces the very final challenge on her own, then we just see Luke again as a FG smiling at Rey at the end a la ROTJ...

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Kato Sai likes this.
  22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    the PT is Rise and Fall of Anakin. It's 2 in 1. It's his rise to Jedi from slavery only to fall to evil.

st could end up being the legacy of Skywalker.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the title is in reference to Shmi's dad obviously.

24. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm abstaining from voting until after I've seen the movie. Right now I'm neutral and more curious than happy or disappointed about the title.

25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Rise Of Ben Solo to the light makes more sense than The Rise of Rey.....she can't be Luke Daughter & can't be Leia's daughter so how can she be a Skywalker ?