main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Title Discussion: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Is The Rise of Skywalker a good title?

1. Yes

207 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Eh not sure about that one. This movie is tying up the culmination of all the films. This is the Skywalker saga, so it is not surprising at all that "Skywalker" is in the title of the last film.

BigAl6ft6 and lovethedarkside like this.
  2. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    So what. I mean, every title has some form of marketing in it. So Skywalker is now generic?
    Anyway. Its time for afternoon tea.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    What's Ben last name?

I guess it doesn't matter anymore but it would be really dumb IMHO if the title refers to Ben "rising" as a Skywalker when he's not even named a Skywalker.

Wouldn't it make more sense to call it the Raise of Solo, or The Raise of the Organa or the Raise of the Ren?

4. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    One issue with the theory that the title will be about the rise of the Skywalker name is that the "Rise of Skywalker" already happened in TLJ. Wasn't that the point of the broom boy scene? Luke's "epic stand" on Crait was so amazing that somehow it has spread even to slave children in another part of the galaxy? Luke Skywalker was the spark that would lead to the galaxy coming together? That's certainly what we have been told when anyone complains that the Crait sequence was not enough to redeem Luke's actions throughout the rest of TLJ.

This whole trilogy feels like it's held back by the narrative of "but this time it's real." Finn at the end of TFA: With the resistance; helped them destroy Starkiller base. Finn at the end of TLJ: Now he's REALLY with the resistance - woohoo! Kylo at the end of TFA: Rejects the call to repentance from his father, but is broken to his core by doing so (didn't you see his sad eyes??). Kylo at the end of TLJ: Rejects the call to repentance from Rey, and this time he is really really really broken to his core. That's 3 really's! Did you see his sad face when Rey shut the door to the falcon? Luke at the end of TFA: Luke, the inspiration that they have searching for throughout the entire movie, has been found. Hurray! Luke at the end of TLJ: Now Luke is really, really an inspiration to the galaxy. Look at the cute kids playing with Luke Skywalker action figures! Luke at the end of TROS: NO, now he's a super duper duper inspiration! We promise it's going to stick this time!

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It could also simply be Luke rising as a Force Ghost .............

6. alwayslurking

Jan 21, 2019
    Wow. I'd never quite thought that through to the full ramifications. If the title is about Ben, since his last name is not Skywalker, it's essentially "The Rise of the Skywalker Bloodline." Great optics there given the themes they are supposedly pushing in this trilogy.

godisawesome likes this.
  7. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    The Raze of Kylo Ren

The highRise of Skywalker

The Raze of Skywalker's highrise

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rey gets adopted, is a Skywalker. Because adoption of the name. As for it referring to Ben's redemption, I don't know if JJ is as sympathetic to Kylo as Johnson presented him. But, to be fair to both of those writer/directors, they sort of lean into Kylo being sympathetic and his inner Ben saving the day then he proceeds to do some really horrible evil stuff.

I am still leaning towards the most easiest answer: the title means in the 3rd act Luke shows up and kicks ass all over Palpatine. Everyone else just watches, has chips, takes bets.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope so. Really like that idea - feels true to life - and it’s a good way to distinguish eras, and perhaps keep the ST and post-ST from feeling like OT-lite.

10. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    The Rave of Skywalker.
    [​IMG]

11. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Honestly I can't even fathom a new religion or order being called the name of one of the most tyrannical figures in the GFFA, i.e. Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader.

Are JJ, the story group and KK really saying that after 30ish years the people of the GFFA have forgotten about the Empire and Darth Vader? and are ready to adopt the cult of Skywalker?

Of all the ideas I've seen or read about what the title means this one is worst one for me.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Er, no. The implication is likely that Luke Skywalker (and possibly Leia) are the founders of a new Order (not least as most knew Darth Vader as Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker). George Washington had some relatives of ill-repute, but the city is named after George Washington, not Ned Washington.

Krueger likes this.
  13. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    But Rey will be the founder, maybe even, gag, Kylo. Luke and Leia didn't accomplish anything of note, maybe Leia has a shot still but Luke blew his. After the OT, I would honor them by naming stuff after them. Now with the ST, I would re-name it if I already had.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    We still have a film left in the ST, and both Luke and Leia will be in it. So we’ll see.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  15. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Luke's Force spirit becomes talk show host, raising consciousness about his accomplishments and love for unpasteurized milk.

I can't wait for this "trilogy" to end.

16. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I don't care for the title, but I do like Star Wars in blue. It's so pretty. And I might change my mind after I see the movie. It depends who or what the rise of skywalker turns out to be. Luke coming back from the dead? Cool. I'm in. Rey was a skywalker all along? Okay, sure. She starts using the name Skywalker and decides to name all her students skywaklkers. ehhh, I don't like that. So we'll see what they do with it.

17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  18. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

The Title was truly staring us in the face ....how no one got it dumb founds me !

magatailor likes this.
  19. Chewie's flea powder

Chewie's flea powder Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Nice try, but JJ said there was no title for episode 9 until very recently.

20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've said before and I'll say again that Anakin's return, even as a ghost, would be a great way to tie the saga together, especially if his actions change the course of the plot (as opposed to a cameo).

If he somehow re-establishes balance to the Force (involving Rey, Kylo, Palpatine, etc), this would be a powerful way to implement the title "The Rise of Skywalker," referring to the Chosen One himself, even if he isn't rising from the dead.

Iron_lord and Deliveranze like this.
  21. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    https://movieweb.com/rise-of-skywalker-japanese-title-meaning-star-wars/

The title for The Rise of Skywalker in Japan is "Dawn of Skywalker" ,

I wouldn't read to much into it cause Rise & Dawn are basically very similar ,

Now if Rian Johnson had done the right thing & called Episode 8 : Rise of the First Order or Rise of the Dark Side then JJ would have gone for The Dawn of Skywalker for Episode 9 ...................

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    One of the dead blokes on the floor needs to be limply holding up a glowstick.

23. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    It's gotta be the next generation of force-users. The kid with the broom at the end of TLJ set it up perfectly. I imagine one of, if not the final shots will be of this next generation of force-users. I don't know if they'll go so far as to call them "Skywalker" in the film, but that's my two cents on what the title means.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  24. alwayslurking

Jan 21, 2019
    Any Friends fans on this board? When I hear that the Skywalker name will be what this title is referring to, I keep thinking of "Pulling a Monica." Maybe that's the real meaning of the title. Whenever someone who should no better falls to the darkside and reeks havoc on the galaxy for years on end, that's "Pulling a Skywalker." It's OK, though, because when you are "pulling a Skywalker" redemption is guaranteed!

25. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    Skywalker being a new name for the new Jedi, IMO, feels so unnecessary and...to be blunt, cheap.

I voted no simply because I just feel the title comes across as "Please come back" to fans who have walked away.

"The Skywalker Legacy" would have been better IMO. It could make sense in many ways. Rise of Skywalker implies the return of some Skywalker or giving some fans false hope that either Luke isn't dead or that Rey will turn out to be Rey Skywalker.