main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Title Discussion: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Is The Rise of Skywalker a good title?

1. Yes

206 vote(s)
    71.5%
  2. No

82 vote(s)
    28.5%
  1. CleanCode

CleanCode Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 7, 2018
    Different topic: maybe the dark side acolyte possessed by Palpatine mocks Kylo as a another Skywalker who thought he could defeat him and rule the galaxy.

TadoFett likes this.
  2. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    "It's like poetry, they rhyme".

I'm usually not an ardent defenser of JJ, but I really think this time he didn't want to just "copy". I personnally appreciate that the abreviation for the third episode of the saga is an anagram of the third episode of the PT, and also shares sounding similarities with the third episode of the OT. That could actually be the only true meaning of this title lol

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Man, I wish George had never said that. I feel like no criticism of unoriginality or direct copying in Star Wars films can ever have validity to large portions of the fanbase. That quote gives filmmakers carte blanche to copy as much of previous films as they like, and it's seen as having artistic merit. I love a good callback on occasion, but I feel it's been way over done in the ST.

As for the title abbreviation, I was actually mostly joking. I should have emojied. :)

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I always include all initials because leaving out the initial of a word is like leaving out the entire word, which changes the title - and I like to call things by their proper name :-B

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Rise of Skywalker truly is the best possible title for the personification of 42 years of Star Wars......

6. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    So I've heard several ideas for what the title might mean, and this is how I'd rank them personally:

1) Anakin returns to balance the force for good - this is the best option by far, as the saga SHOULD be about Anakin, and having the emperor back in some shape or form means he didn't fulfill the prophecy yet and is needed once more.
    2) Luke returns in the flesh - this would be my second choice, it would harken back to Lucas's original ideas of having force ghosts come back to life, plus he obviously has already achieved something few if any jedi have by doing his "force apparition" thing in TLJ. So perhaps he learned this skill as well from his time on the island.
    3) Rey is a Skywalker - this would kind of feel like a copout at this point after hyping her identity for two films and then acting like she's a nobody. I've also heard the idea that she adopts the name skywalker because she has no real name, which isn't much better, but I could live with it I guess.
    4) All "jedi" are now "skywalkers". This is my least favorite idea, but unfortunately is also probably the most likely one. I get that it means the skywalker "legacy" will live on forever, but at the same time it seems odd to change the jedi to the name of the family that caused so much death and destruction in the galaxy over several decades, even if they also "balanced it" more than once.

7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm still having a hard time not calling it Rise of the Skywalker.

godisawesome likes this.
  8. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    After watching a bunch of reaction videos, the amount of people that call this film RISE OF THE SKYWALKER is unbearable lol

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Try calling it Tee-Ross. TEE-ROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

godisawesome likes this.
  10. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    My personal favorite is Leia. Since this was supposed to be her film, and she's been shown using the force in small situations, and ROTJ and the TFA trailer both mention her having this power, I think it would be a fitting send off for her to rise to the occasion and use the Force in a big way to bring the GFFA at peace.

Of course this depends on LFL having the ability to cobble together her scenes. I think they can do it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  11. owl89

owl89 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    What if there's no The in The Rise of [the] Skywalker is because it's a name? What if... dun dun dun dun... Rey's real name is Skywalker? Not Rey Skywalker, but actually Skywalker? Her original name or a name given to her by whoever [face_coffee]

12. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    I think Ian himself called the movie by its wrong name too... I noticed that when YouTube-watching the interview with the great man right after the TROS teaser during the recent Celebration in Chicago... :p

The wrong name will generate tons of confusion in terms of acronym, since it will be similar to the last movie of the prequel trilogy! [face_laugh]

Darth Buzz likes this.
  13. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    #4 sounds like something that someone in marketing would come up with LOL

I like #1-3 a lot and even better would be all 3 at the same time. That would make me quite happy. Honestly a lot of the issues I had with the story choices of the ST could be fixed in my mind by #1-3.

14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Was perusing some of my old archives from 2012-14. Lots of old story rumors that seemingly didn't pan out for VII, some which before Abrams and Kasdan took over the writing from Michael Arndt and knocked out a new draft in 6 weeks near the end of 2013. But the future, and now that Abrams is back and said there's ideas he and Kasdan had that return in IX, some of them seem more interesting now than before.

Latino Review - [George] Lucas Episode VII working titles [: Return of the Sith & Rise of the Jedi] (October 11, 2013)

eko32eko7 likes this.
  15. HostofJakku

HostofJakku Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2016
    How come on the ST Blu Ray and DVDs the numbers 7 or 8, or the word episode does not appear? Not sure what this means, but I was looking at all my Star wars movies and noticed this. On this site and others like it, and in fandom we refer to the ST as episode 7,8, and 9. But technically they are not listed that way on the Blu Ray and DVDs?

16. CleanCode

CleanCode Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 7, 2018
    There might be a reason why the episode ix is not called "The Return of Skywalker".

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because that would kind of come off as a massive spoiler

18. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Still saying TROS is the perfect title a traditional one as well as intriguing and up there with The Revenge of the Sith as my fav titles :

1. TROS and ROTS tied
    2. TESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. ANH
    6. AOTC
    7. TLJ
    8. TPM

TLJ gets ranked so low because it's not that is doesn't sound bad it's the only title that's not traditional and out of sequence as in not 4 words and not a military advance and has the same word eg Jedi has never been used twice in any other title !

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Sorry to hear The Last Jedi does not align with your own personal rules for naming a Star Wars movie. I give your list a 7 out of ten. The bit about The Last Jedi and the logic behind it knocks it down quite a bit. The reasons for putting TLJ at #7 I rate as a 3. Total bush league reasons. Weak but not the weakest part of your list. TPM is empirically a better title than AOTC. Putting TPM last, I rate that choice as a 1. I won't dignify AOTC being above TPM with a rating. Shame on you.

Going on 1 to 5 of your list, I'd give your list a 9. It's lame you have ROTS and TROS tied for one. Shows poor ability to make choices. Also A New Hope is the worst title for any of the Star Wars films that doesn't included 'A Star Wars Story' in the title. But I'll let those go and still call it a solid 9.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    As the JP/ MSW leaks are likely correct, I think we can expect that this is about Rey taking the Skywalker name after an assist from a dead Skywalker or two.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    LUKE: A thousand generations live in you now.

REY: Cool! That means I'm technically the heir of millions of Jedi and can choose any name I like, right?

LUKE: I don't think that's how it wor-

REY: I think I'll go with Skywalker.

LUKE: .............................

22. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Hard to have an opinion on this until seeing the context of the movie.

I do think there is 0% chance that TROS means the Jedi will now be called Skywalkers though. The title doesn't make sense grammatically in that sense.

If it was called, say, The Rise of the Skywalkers, then that would make more sense.

23. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    ROTS at #1 Then ..........AOTC gets a higher rating then the TPM simply because it doesn't sound Star Wars cause as you know "The Phantom Who" ect ......at least you know exactly what ATOC means to the uninitiated...........

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Phantom Menace is a great title. We don't fully understand how great until seeing AOTC and ROTS. Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are both excellent titles. Attack of the Clones is also a good title.

chris hayes likes this.
  25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Agree. Luke, Leia (and hopefully Ben) as FGs appearing to heal Rey and help her defeat Palpatine plus her taking the Skywalker name seems to be what the title is about.

I would prefer it without Rey taking the name, though.

Bor Mullet likes this.