main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Title Discussion: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Is The Rise of Skywalker a good title?

1. Yes

207 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I think it would have held more significance if the name died with Luke and Leia, if the events of TROS are what they chose to do. It makes for a better "new" saga. Now they've got this lingering Skywalker name.

2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    OK.

Roll Tide!!!

3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Rise of Skywalker refers to the rise of Ben Solo from the dark side to the light side, being the last genetic descendant of the known Skywalker family.

Furthermore it referes also to Rey's choice to leave her last name and eventually presents hisself as the non-family connection of the Skywalker family.

From IMDB these are the reasons the Title is The Rise of Skywalker.

Rogue Knight likes this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    While I totally get that reasoning, I think "The Skywalker Legacy" would've been a more fitting title, both in terms of the film's story and of this being the concluding chapter of the Skywalker Saga.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I can guarantee you that whoever put that on IMBD had zero connection to production and in fact has no idea what they’re talking about.

6. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I would like to see an explanation of what we actually got in the ST. I mean a 2 or 3 hour discussion with JJ and RJ plus others. Even then I am not sure we would get the whole story. Skywalker Saga, what is that I am so confused....

7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    My own theory is that KK and the SG are in the best position to explain what happened.

Starting with why they tossed JJ’s treatments then complained they had no material to work with.

The most difficult conclusion I’ve had to come to is that LFL’s decisions could not have been nearly as profit-driven as we all have believed. Disney’s? Yes. But my understanding has been that, overall, Disney was fairly hands-off with LFL.

godisawesome and cratylus like this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What were JJ's treatments?

9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Whatever he had planned for Eps 8 and 9, stemming from what he set up in TFA.

So there *was* a plan. There *was* a story for the ST.

But LFL tossed it. Because Reasons.

10. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Snoke laughs and says (TLJ): 'Skywalker, I assumed. Wrongly'. But he was right, we know that now. Rey Skywalker. The joke was on him somehow.

For him Rey is just the 'girl' . In the film, and in TFA, Snoke is talking about Luke. That's his intention. Now, he's dead and his intentions are dead too.

Rey Skywalker sheds some retroactive light some of his lines, and in some of Palpatine's lines in TROS, no less dead and no less of a joke.

For example: 'Skywalker lives! the seed of the jedi order lives', he says=Rey Skywalker was the seed of the jedi order.

Is 'seed' literal, and not only metaphorical? When Padme says 'I'm pregnant', wasn't the seed of the jedi order, the last jedi, inside her? ROTS ends with the seed(s) of the jedi order being delivered. Yoda and Obi-Wan were there.

Yoda to Rey: 'alone, never have you been'.

But, why going back that far? Because the sith did. Ben Solo was to be corrupted since the beginning.

Evil strikes first, and then good reacts. Just before 'Skywalker, I assumed. Wrongly', Snoke says:
    Ben Solo grew stronger, and then the rise of Skywalker happened. If it had to do with the 'seed' in a literal level, then Ben Solo grew stronger by the time he was 10-11. That's when his awakening took place, according to the VD. Rey was born 11 years after ROTJ.
    Life itself, generations, seed. Sounds like the seed of Kylo Ren in Ben Solo causing the seed of Rey Skywalker in Empress Palpatine. Them being connected, and then letting the force 'rebound', like some kind of communicating vessels at work. I don't think it a coincidence that Palpatine's offspring was a male (=a wombless creature)

Ben/Kylo quotes and/or paraphrases Vader's Bespin speech in TFA/TLJ/TROS. This is Vader:
    But it could have been said byBen/Kylo. In TROS, he knows about the dyad. And he knows Palpatine doesn't know. And he knows ('show me') that Vader's voice is not all there is to know about 'grandfather'. Did Palpatine know about that helmet showing things to Ben/Kylo?

Sounds like Anakin being behind that dyad, trying to finish what he had started. And Ben/Kylo seeing Anakin's intervention 'through a glass, darkly' - as Vader's. The closest a dark side character ever was to the jedi secret of cheating death.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Awushi Awere and Iron_lord like this.
  11. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ScreamingWoman2019 likes this.
  12. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    A chess match is a proxy war. You fight your opponent by using others. The jedi, Anakin (white) vs the sith, Palpatine (black). Anakin saw Palpatine, but Palpatine didn't see Anakin. He only saw white pieces on the chessboard, moving as he had foreseen. And when his plans were disrupted, it was because of the pieces moving 'foolishly'. ('The princess of Alderaan has sdisrupted my plans. Buther foolish act' etc) He didn get it.

The moment he secretly corrupted his enemy's King, his Queen was corrupted even more secretly at the same time. A bit like Watto ('we'll let fate decide') trying to cheat Qui-Gon with those loaded dice and being cheated in his turn without knowing what had happened.

13. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Probably Rey was at the massacre, she got sent off, kylo could not kill the girl, the girl turned out to be his sister or Luke's daughter, and in episode 8 the knights of Ren are a more substantial villain where Hux plots against kylo, smoke takes the place of palpatine, and kylo in episode 9 is faced with similar decisions like vader as the knights of Ren turn on him and he has to make a choice and cant kill his sister so he destroys snoke but Rey dies in the process.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    What is the sequence of Rey's TFA vision?

1) Bespin hallway.-

2) Luke and R2 while Jedi Temple is burning.

3) Rain revealing Kylo Ren killing a warrior by stabbing him through the back. Then lots of bodies in the rain with the Knights of Ren behind Kylo. Then close up of Kylo Ren with the Knights of Ren. Kylo looks at and steps towards Rey.

4) Jakku. Rey turns to see her younger self crying out to a departing spaceship.

5) Starkiller Base - Kylo steps out from behind a tree.

I guess we know the story for all of that now except #3. Those are the Knights of Ren as seen in Ep9. But we don't know where they are or who they just slaughtered.

cratylus likes this.
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    What ? those reasons IMDB gave are the exact reasons why the Movie is Called the Rise of Skywalker........

16. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Anyone can edit IMDB. It is not a dependable source of information. And nowhere has an actual TPTB said that’s the reason the movie is so-titled.

17. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    The guy he kills does look a little bit like the Vader worshipping cultists on Mustafar. This could be a premonition about Kylo going to Mustafar with the Knights of Ren. That is the only specific connection I can make. But I don't recall explicity whether the knights are shown working with Kylo to defeat the Vader cultists. He has a stormtrooper battalion. Maybe someone else can remember the Knights of Ren appearing somewhere in this scene.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    We don't see the Knights of Ren on Mustafar. Kylo getting the Wayfinder would be vision of the future worthy. Also it's raining in the Knights of Ren attack in the vision, but then again that doesn't have to mean a vision has to be exactly the same as what happens. The future can change when it actually happens.

19. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Yeah it was somehow snowing on Mustafar instead of raining, but the person has a similar hat.

We don't necessarily have to know. It's just about Kylo leading the Knights of Ren and killing people. The vision has a whole host of dead bodies too if you look.

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That's snow?! I thought we were seeing ash. It does snow on Zorii Bliss's planet, which also looks a lot like the vision.

I agree with you. We don't need to know. It shows what Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren do.

cratylus likes this.
  21. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Maybe it was ash. Now I'm not sure.

22. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Have to admit never would have guessed in a movie titled “THE RISE OF SKYWALKER” that we would see the Skywalkers go extinct. Depressing to think about...

ami-padme likes this.
  23. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Imagine how much more depressing it would have been had Ben Solo not been redeemed but simply killed. As it is his contribution after turning was limited, but we got to see him come back.

I'm OK with the title personally, and I think it has a double meaning. I really found it odd originally. I might say, some other title could have been better but I can't say what it would be. I wouldn't have cared for "Duel of the Fates" because it would imply circularity, that everything was just the same as it was nine movies ago, whereas the smaller events of Episode I had long-reaching repercussions.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Ben Solo going out evil and the Skywalker name ending in Darkness literally wasn’t an option. That would have been depressing and rediculous. Then going extinct and then the movie going complexly against what TFA set up (denying truth that is family) with Rey taking the name of a guy she knew for a couple days and didn’t even like is also bad though.

25. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    HONEST TRAILER - "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker":

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Sarge and Deliveranze like this.