main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Title Discussion: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Is The Rise of Skywalker a good title?

1. Yes

207 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It was a no brainer that Skywalker was used in the title of EP9:

Whether is was The Last Skywalker , The Skywalker Legacy or Rise of the Skywalkers ,

I'm very satisfied with The Rise of Skywalker ,

The only wording synonymise with the saga not used in a title in the whole saga was Dark Side and Rian Johnson threw that out the window when he went with the out of whack title The Last Jedi.......

2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The Last Jedi. Sorry but that is a great title and the best of the sequel trilogy. You could call it cliche but it's very fitting for Luke Skywalker and Mark Hamill who of all characters in the saga is deserving of a character centric title.

3. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    The Last Jedi sounds ok but in the context of title history it's an awful title that has no place in the saga......

4. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I disagree imo it is very fitting. Its descriptive without being too specific. The Rise of Skywalker is the bad title in the series. Okay so it's supposed to indicate the rise of Skywalker in ben Solo? Because that's the only Skywalker there at the end. Otherwise it refers to Luke who died in the last film? Leia who is barely in it? Or back to Luke, who's name in the saga eclipses one person and was used to signify hope? Makes the Skywalker message appear selfish imo. "Rise" imo is more fitting for an evil in this case like, Rise of the Empire(dark side) or even go further and tie it with the scroll(or skip the scroll detail) and call it The Rise of The Emperor. Rise of Skywalker is too Frankenstein.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    indydefense likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think TLJ is the bets title conceptually, but ultimately is a far better title than the movie it’s attached to. TROS is basically a marketing ploy when you get down to it, desperately trying to reinforce a half-baked story idea deployed too late to really matter. TFA honestly might work a bit better since we now know that both Rey and Finn have the Force and thus both awakened, but it’s the least romantic of the title... tied to the better movie.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Luke, when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MarcJordan, cratylus and Iron_lord like this.
  7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    There are midichlorians in that title.

Snoke's 'darkness rises and light to meet it' is true when we apply it to the 9 films and in a general sense. The empire rises, and the rebellion to meet it. The FO rises, and the resistance/rebellion to meet it.

Now, that is valid at a smaller scale. The sith rise, the jedi to meet them. The sith rise again, and so do the jedi.

And then, at an even smaller, more individual scale. Palpatine/Vader (ROTS)> Anakin/Luke (ROTJ). Palpatine/Kylo > Ben/Rey.

And then at an even smaller, backstory-related scale. 'I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise'.

He says then: 'Skywaker, I assumed. Wrongly'

The thing is, he assumed correctly. We know that now. He didn't say Luke Skywalker. Just Skywalker. 'I warned my young apprentice about the rise of [Rey]Skywalker'. Ironically, he was correct about being wrong.

Snoke missed something. Palpatine did too, until the very end - and then he didn't understand.

'Darkness rises and light to meet it'. What about an even smaller scale, the smallest one?

'As he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise'.
    Then Leia sent him away. Luke took him.
    The force awakened in him. Too much Vader. Darkness rises.
    This was 11 years after ROTJ. Rey was born around that time. And light to meet it.
    Maybe the seed of Kylo Ren caused Rey. Is that Snoke talking beyond his own knowledge again?
    We hear the jedi order, 'all the jedi', speaking to the 'seed' in TROS.

Maybe one thing was made to cause the other by taking avantage of the force, which tends naturally to balance. Just making the connection would be enough.

Who would that be? 'Is it possible to learn that power?'
    So, 'The Rise of Skywalker' would be what once happened at the smallest scale, 'in the shadows, from the very beginning', and what would happen during TFA and TLJ, happening for the last time, triumphally, in TROS.

There's also a hint of 'the rise of Skywalker' being a part of something bigger -a 'bigger scale' thing- again provided by Snoke:

8. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    1st title of all trilogies : A New Hope , The Phantom Menace , The Force Awakens : all 3 words describing the hero or Villain in exactly what their journey is in the movie - Luke Skywalker is the New Hope , Darth Sidious is the Phantom Menace and the Force Awakens in Rey .

2nd title of 2 trilogies : The Empire Strikes Back , Attack of the Clones both describe a military advance in 4 words from the controlling military of the time.

3rd Title of all trilogies : Return of the Jedi , Revenge of the Sith , The Rise of Skywalker all 4 words describing the Return , Revenge and Rise of the hero and villains.

The Last Jedi has no place in the above sequences it is the odd one out and has no baring on a military advance and is the only title that uses a word used in another title ( Jedi ) Rian Johnson went against tradition where JJ Abrams did not ,

The Title of EP8 should have been something like The First order Rises , Order of the Darkside , Rise of the Darkness ect obviously if Rise was used in EP8 then EP9 might have been called The Dawn of Skywalker.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  9. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I disagree. The Last Jedi even fits within your criteria. The LAST Jedi.

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The title may as well have been Star Wars Episode IX: We Apologize.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  12. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Nooooooo.

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Only if the addendum to it was “...But we still don’t quite know what you’re complaining about, and isn’t Adam Driver playing a totally new character for five minutes with one line worth sacrificing the rest of the film and series for?”

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What is the context of title history?

15. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    1st title of all trilogies describes the hero / villain in their role

2nd title of 2 trilogies describes the controlling military in an military advance

3rd title of all trilogies describes the Return , Rise , Revenge of the hero's / villain's

1 middle title DOES NOT describe a military advance by the controlling military EG: The First Order Rises is an example of what it should have been......

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The whole "the titles follow a pattern" idea is still a stretch with AOTC (had it been called The Clones Attack that idea would make more sense). The way TLJ breaks with this 'tradition' is really not a big deal.

17. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It is quite possibly the best title of the lot.

RetropME likes this.
  18. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    It's not a stretch "The Empire Strikes Back" a military advance by the controlling military ( the Empire )

"Attack of the Clones" a military advance by the controlling military ( the Republic )

"The Last Jedi" not a military advance by the controlling military ( The First Order )

Not a big deal for some but rest assured if JJ Abrams had directed EP8 it would not have been called The Last Jedi as he would have gone with tradition as he did with EP7 and 9 .................

19. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Rise of Skywalker fits with Revenge of The Sith and Return of The Jedi? Nah I disagree. The prequels end as a tragedy. The ot doesn't. Episode 8 is 8 out of a nine part saga. Imo having another return or attack or anything of that matter is redundant and not fitting for a story ready to close out. Imo. The Last Jedi might not be the only possible title but even if its cliches it's still so fitting for Luke's character and does leave a big question mark as to what it means.

20. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Return , Revenge , Rise all 4 words but don't fit [face_thinking]

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As long as a literal interpretation of a film's title appears, even fleetingly, on screen, a title is passable.

A Skywalker (Ben Solo) was shown rising up from out of the random gorge in an otherwise well-chiseled Sith sports arena. He rose. He was a Skywalker. It passes.

RetropME and cratylus like this.
  22. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    It rings a little singular. The Return of Skywalker........eeeehhhhh.

23. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I think it refers to Rey mainly, but also to Ben and potentially to a new Force-sensitive order of adepts Rey will build in the future. It might have another layer of meaning with regard to Luke Skywalker rising from the dead, as it were, and if you think about it maybe Leia too.

I'm all for multivalent title interpretations. Return of the Jedi being the ultimate template for this, since I can think of three or more applicable meanings for the title.

The Phantom Menace had at least two meanings I could think of--the Federation Blockade being a "phantom" menace while the REAL menace lay behind it with a hidden sinister purpose; also Darth Sidious himself appearing in holograms is like a Phantom. Darth Maul sneaks around in the shadows too so it might be taken for the Sith as a whole. It's fun to look for these and I like it.

EDIT: Related but different is the trick in Episode II. The clones attack, but they never attack the heroes. It's a twist that they never attack the Republic in this film, as an unspoiled viewer might expect. I know I was surprised when Lama Su said the army was for the Republic.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    By that reasoning, "The Bandaged Leg" would've been equally passable.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003