main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode VII teaser trailer - it's here!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DarthWilliams, Nov 28, 2014.

1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I consider ROTS the most dark, serious SW film. I actually don't even consider any of the PT to be light films, even the glossy TPM.

But you're talking like a diehard fan. I'm not talking from that perspective. Teasers aren't made for diehards. Like it or not, among a large swath of the casual fans and general movie going public, there is a pervasive idea that the PT was silly and juvenile. This teaser seems strategically designed to basically say the OT is back and the grown ups are finally in charge.

I don't like the perception of the PT, because it had some very adult political and emotional themes, but that doesn't change the general perception.

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Not at all. I'm surprised that people are saying "it's too early" or "we haven't seen enough" to say that Abrams's influence will be obvious in the shots. Sure, we haven't seen much, but almost everything we have seen is pure Abrams.

jaqen likes this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think the whole sentiment of "The OT style is back and PT style is all but gone" is a bit of a misconception. A big OT fan who disliked the PT would want that ideally, and a pessimist PT/saga fan would be under the belief that, due to outspoken disdain for the PT, such a style would be left in the dust

I believe it's a result of wishful thinking and paranoia, respectively. I admit, I was rather apprehensive that the ST would end up that very way, but from what I can pick up from the teaser, it seems very much like its own thing. I could not imagine something like ships skimming the water and creating that beautiful mist in the OT (No, I don't mean due to technical limitations) nor does.... Ball Droid look like something from either trilogy

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That's the problem with them as seen in the trailer, the opponent's blade sliding down would cut right through the mini saber handles. If the L shaped juncture was all saber then you could trap the other blade and disarm your opponent with the cross hilt.
    Which would be a really cool move to see on film!

I don't know anything about resistant metals in the SW universe though. Been a SW fan since '77 but never got much into the EU literature.

5. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm a little torn, but let's be honest... We haven't really seen anything, relatively speaking. I do think, however, R2-D2 should have been shown rather than the "Ball-Droid". He's a VERY familiar character that would have drawn in any casual observer who didn't know what was going on.

We AREN'T casual observers and we don't even know what's going on. Outside of the Falcon and a hybrid-lightsaber, this trailer kinda could've been about any sci-fi movie to a casual viewer.

But then, I'm of the mindset that the original cast needs to have a big presence in this trilogy. Otherwise this is not very different from Star Wars Rebels, in my opinion. A familiar storyline and environment with all-new characters. That's not really what I'm looking for. I want to see the story of the CHARACTERS I grew to know and love not the ENVIRONMENT.

But, I'm still optimistic.

6. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    By the way, was I the only one who initially (for a split second) thought that voice-over was Yoda? Granted, Yoda after a carton of death sticks, but Yoda.

Do we know who that is?

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Speculation has been ranging everywhere from Serkis to Gleeson to Driver to Max von Sydow... heck, people are even claiming Cumberbathch :p

The Bops likes this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Are you having conversations with, or reading reactions from, people who aren't die hard Star Wars fans that have endless convos about this stuff?

Because the trailer reactions outside of boards like this seems to be getting a lot of play for getting back to the "real" Star Wars.

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I honestly neither know nor am bothered by most other opinions. They're simply opinions and I've no right to alter or condemn them; I was simply stating my opinion based on what I have seen

10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Ball Droid is classic Star Wars Muppet humor.

Pensivia and bstnsx704 like this.
  11. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I actually thought it was Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn...but yeah, who knows?

12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Neeson needs to be in the sequel trilogy in some small capacity. Just sayin' :p

13. Devrin Ismeto

Devrin Ismeto Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2014
    What I imagine is that what we have here is a former rebel who was involved in an exploration op, to the ruins of some tomb, that went wrong. His entire squad was wiped out but he survived because he is a force sensitive and only discovered as much at that very moment. The ghost of some Sith Lord (who is buried in the tomb) talks to him and offers to give him more power than he thought possible and blah blah blah (the usual Sith spiel), under the condition that they cohabit the same body. Our mystery man agrees and is led to a coffin in the tomb containing some Sith scripture and, you guessed it, the lightsaber. Of course, due to its age, it needs some repair, so the mystery man goes attempts to get it functioning again, but does so imperfectly, hence the fluctuating blade we say in the trailer.

That's just the way I'd write it if I worked on this movie. I wanna hear your thoughts on his origins.

14. Devrin Ismeto

Sep 1, 2014
    Hopefully we get force ghosts in this. That would be epic fan service.

15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

I wouldn't even call it fan service. It feels like a natural progression of the story that had been set up in the six previous films. If we don't get Force ghosts (and beyond) at some point in the sequels, I'm going to be utterly confused.

16. Devrin Ismeto

Sep 1, 2014
    I don't think its that old. We don't have a protosaber here. Anyways, there are few metals that can without continuous pounding from a lightsaber, except for the blade of another lightsaber.

17. Devrin Ismeto

Sep 1, 2014
    True. It needs to happen. What if the force ghost we get is Luke himself? That would be an interesting twist. Not a good twist, but an interesting one.

18. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I agree. I think we need to see Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin again. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense any more.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    BS!
    JJ Abrams likes to use animorphic, blue lensflares. This was a classic Star Wars lensflare, as seen in all earlier Star Wars movies.

jaqen, Force Smuggler and Seagoat like this.
  20. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005

Can also be the fact that it was built by a self-taught force user.

21. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ah, good catch. I was sort of just making a lens flare joke in general though

The Bops and TigerCraneFist like this.
  22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I just realized that x-wing pilot is Oscar. Isn't it?

And who is the narrator? Definitively? It does sound like MVS.

EternalHero likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It is Oscar Isaac in the X-wing!

It's certainly not Max von Sydow - doesn't sound like him at all. I'd say Andy Serkis (very likely) or Adam Driver (I haven't heard enough from him to recognize his voice, but others have said it sounds like him).

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't read anything here.
    Can someone answer the following questions without describing anything:
    What existing SW music was used in the trailer?
    Does it actually show new footage? Yes or No.
    Was there a Disney logo at the start? Yes or no.
    Was there a Bad Robot logo at the start? Yes or no.
    Did it name new characters shown? Yes or no.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure!

Yes, and new I believe.
    Yes.
    No.
    No.
    No.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your first q. about the music. The existing music used in the trailer was the main titles music.

EDIT 2:
    I guess some might call this a spoiler (a very, very light one in that case), but here is a site that claims they have confimation of who performed the voice over for the trailer. Again, not really a spoiler, but I'll still hide it in spoiler tags here. There's one more, slightly spoiler-ish thing on the site I linked, so be warned!

Anyway, the actor doing the voice over is:
    Andy Serkis

EHT and FRAGWAGON like this.