main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode VII teaser trailer - it's here!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DarthWilliams, Nov 28, 2014.

1. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    ^^^Heh...that clip never gets old.

Did anyone read the Star Wars comics? There was still an Imperial presence on some worlds, even one where Leia and Mon Mothma visited.

I mean, whatever reason they come up with why there's still a civil war in the galaxy 30 years on, I'm definitely all for it. I want some Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters in my Star Wars movie, dang it!

2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ...hmm, the official plot supposedly states that this film takes place 30 years later - although there might be remnants of the Empire, it is also fairly likely that the Rebels are probably no longer rebels, but part of a governing body - a new Republic or something similar. Unless, of course, it happens to be that the rebellion is still going on 30 years later which could explain why the "piece of junk" Millenium Falcon hasn't been put into retirement yet or why X-Wings and TIE Fighters are still being flown. After 30 years, I figure that more advanced weaponry would have come along.

3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    In case anyone still thinks the cinematography is a wild departure from what we've seen in the franchise thus far:

Sarge, episodenone and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Plot Twist - the Storm Troopers and TIEs ARE republic forces. The X-Wings are the NEW new rebels.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That didn't really prove that point. The cinematography in this fan trailer isn't very similar to the cinematography in the TFA trailer at all.
    However, I'd say the cinematography of the trailer looks to be quite similar to TPM, so it's absolutely Star Wars!

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999

Look carefully to see who posted the Twitter message.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Can't watch at work - who was it?

8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Bill Corbett from MST3K/Rifftrax.

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I wonder if Colbert knew that was from Corbett and that it was a joke....I'm guessing he did.

10. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    He shows the actual Twitter message, marked with the sender. He knew.

And I'm surprised he didn't say anything about the ball droid.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not sure if my viewings have cracked 20 yet. At least 15. Kinda lost count. Love this damn teaser.

12. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I told my wife last Monday that by the time the weekend was over, no matter if the trailer was released online or bootlegged, that I'd have watched it at least 20 times. I was wrong. I think I lost count at 25, and that was on Saturday night!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Saw it twice in theatre on Friday (went to Toronto to see it, also caught "Foxcatcher" and "Dear White People" which aren't playing here)
    then went home and watched it on TeeVee (PS3 Youtube app)
    then on iPod twice (fun fact, I can take one smoke break and watch the teaser twice on my iPod. Trust me, I've counted)
    then on Youtube
    then random youtube and iPod viewings which have all kinda merged together.

14. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    How did people react in the theatre? I don't expect to see this trailer outside of my computer or iPhone...I'm guessing the next trailer I see for TFA will be when Avengers 2 comes out.
    Before the download link came up, I just had the Apple Trailers open in Safari on my computer.
    I'm pretty excited!

15. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm hoping that it will kind of a reverse of the Original Trilogy, in that the New Republic will be more-or-less in control of the Galaxy and the Imperial Remnant is trying to take it back. It would be cool if the New Republic and Imperials have to join forces to take down the new Sith.

I predict that Boyega will be a stormtrooper who discovers he's Force-sensitive and ends up joining forces with the good guys.

Revious Nugo and Lulu_Mars like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I predict that the lines "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?" and "The Dark side... and the light" have something to do with the prophecy of the chosen one.
    A prophecy that misread could have been...

Seagoat likes this.
  17. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

What does that have to do with cinematography? It's about narrative content [face_dunno]

FRAGWAGON and episodenone like this.
  18. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    A shot of Leia mounting the speeder on Endor and speeding off looking visually similar to the shot of Daisy Ridley's character on her speeder and riding off isn't narrative content. Maybe cinematography wasn't the best word choice, but there's been a lot of talk here (and elsehwere) about the trailer feeling visually different from any Star Wars films we've seen thus far, and that's just not true. The shot of the new X-Wings over the water matched up with the X-Wings flying over the Death Star is another good example. These aren't examples of mirrored narrative content, they're examples of mirrored visuals.

Revious Nugo and Lulu_Mars like this.
  19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

If you can't see the difference in the way those visuals were shot, that definitely explains the disconnect here.

20. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Of course they were shot differently. All I'm trying to say is that a lot has been said (both here and other places) about how some shots in the trailer look dramatically different from anything we've seen in Star Wars before, but we've seen things in Star Wars that definitely are similar visually (different, yes, but still with similarities). Didn't mean for it to become "a thing." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I saw it in front of Big Hero 6 the day it opened so it was a lot of parents with their kids and they broke out in applause. I know we should enjoy the moment but I wish I'd thought in time to record the reaction.

22. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I drove three hours to see it in the cinema before online. Traffic was backed up so I missed the showing I had gotten my ticket for, but was able to exchange it.

Unfortunately, the radio station I was listening to started playing the voice clip from it, and I didn't shut it off in time, so I hear the "Have you felt it? The dark side..." line. Bastards.

It was so great though. There were a lot of people who came for the same reason. I got chills, but sadly only one person other than me clapped. Ah well, I've got a story for future generations.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    I am inclined to agree. That would explain why he looks completely out of his depth. The implication from both the title and the teaser would seem to be that the Force begins 'awakening' in many persons who did not previously possess Force-sensitivity. It could be a Force Renaissance. This raises problems - can one's midichlorian count, which allows one to access the Force, increase? I wonder whether the solution might be that the Force itself becomes stronger somehow and therefore speaks more loudly to midicholorians. Thus, those with midicholorian counts previously too low to sense the Force (on the borderline between Force-sensitive and non-Force-sensitive, for instance) can now do so. This would provide fertile ground for Luke (and Leia?) to recruit new Jedi, following the near total destruction of the Jedi Order (reduced, between Yoda's death and Luke's beating Vader, to a single Jedi Padawan) during ROTJ.

This would also explain the apparent (and devastating; evil really does never die, hmm?) return of the Sith, despite the total annihilation of the Sith Order. The Sith who appears in the trailer, then, may be some brat with a fascination with the Sith (reading Sith Lore while locked away in his bedroom for instance), who wakes up one day with the ability to make his dreams come to reality (drawing inspiration from I am thinking, in particular, of the story of Satal and Aleema Keto in Tails of the Jedi. Hence, the stuttering effect of the lightsabre; without an instructor to oversee the process of constructing a lightsabre, all he has is his books, so it is imperfect. Nonetheless, he takes to the Dark Side with gusto, using it for all sorts of relatively petty purposes, before being confronted with the true nature and effects of the Dark Side and either a) turning away from it in horror or b) falling completely and becoming as monstrous and sadistic as any other Sith. Alternatively, perhaps his first act with his newfound powers is to murder his nagging parents (so often, when annoyed with them, he has thought, "If I were a Sith ...").

Or perhaps he is already a sadistic murderer whose new powers simply allow him to greatly increase the numbers of his victims (and the gruesomeness with which he kills them), similarly to Ryunosuke in Fate/Zero. Or mayhap he is the son of an Imperial Admiral (or Moff, et cetera) who wants to achieve great things but lacks the means to do so without these powers. He thinks this makes him strong enough to beat the famed Luke Skywalker. Luke, despite his age, mops the floor with our antihero, so he goes in search of additional strength or training and comes back so powerful it takes Luke's younger offspring to beat the Sith.

As for the crossguard, well, this guy is barely more than a kid, so he wants it to look cool. Either that, or it is a means of expressing his individuality or demonstrating the break from the previous Sith Order.

Or I could be reading too much into an 88 second trailer; truly fertile is the mind of a Star Wars fan.

24. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Great thinking! It could be similar to "Heroes" in that the eclipse awakened affected people's abilities. Maybe there is an event that awakens force sensitivity across the galaxy.

I like where you went with this.

Aeneas 1138 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

I've seen in 3 times already in theatre. There was a bit of jabbering that people noticed it, excitement but kind of hard to focus on the first viewing (also the lights were still up for the teaser the first time I saw it). However, the movies I've seen infront of "Foxcatcher" "Dear White People" and "Serena" (the latter one was at a local theatre, the first 2 were of the release weekend) aren't exactly the Star Wars target demo so not exactly "omigawd" nerd overjoyed but more surprised. (waiting for it to play the first time in front of Foxcatcher was interminable, almost 20 min past the theatre "start time" with all of the other ads and trailers. I'm the type of person who shows up about 10 min after the "start time" because there's 15 min of ads before the movie starts so I rarely sit down to watch them all. The fact the Star Wars trailer wasn't playing, right out the gate, kinda drove me buggy) The 3rd viewing, about a week and a half later at my local theatre, the guy infront of me was taking off his jacket / taking his seat and kinda got into the corner of the bottom of the frame. The audio is a real blast to hear in a theatrical setting. Still say I haven't had a perfectly darkened viewing but I go to the movies at least once a week, I'm sure I'll get a great viewing in eventually. right now, it's more of a cool surprise if it pops up. (and it probably will a lot this X-Mas)