main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode VII to open December 18, 2015

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by The Hellhammer, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SpeederBikeGirl

SpeederBikeGirl Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2015
    I agree I don't think it likely the release date will be moved. Disney and everyone else involved with the new film knows the expectations surrounding it and I wouldn't want to see the post-production rushed because of concerns about so-called spoilers ruining the film as the quality of the finished product might well suffer. I just wish people would stop flooding the internet with spoilers!

TheOneX_Eleazar and Lulu_Mars like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's been debunked by the official SW Twitter account anyway... see my earlier post.

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I figured the earlier release date move was a rumor, and (and I can't believe the words are coming out of my mouth) I'm actually glad for it-to give them more time to make a great film instead of rushing it, and although I complain about how far away it is, it is still true that the anticipation is half the fun.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Absolutely! Imagine what it would've been like if the movie had been released a week after the Disney deal was announced - and EpVIII a week after that...
    BOOOOORING!!!

5. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, as much as I am terribly impatient to see the results of TFA (despite my prediction that I'll dislike it), it would not be the same Star Wars experience to see that movie immediately after the announcement. There's nothing like a few years of speculation, bubbling eagerness and Star Wars dreams to create thrilling tensions. Oh, anticipation...

Can't believe in a few years we'll be in the 'Under 40 weeks' bar!

DARTH_BELO and Lulu_Mars like this.
  6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    But wouldn't it be interesting to see the movie with zero expectations? With far less room for disappointment and almost no chance for spoilers?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  7. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Sure. Personally I go see most movies the expectation that they'll be terrible because of of my extreme taste elitism in entertainment. So I either get proven right or get pleasantly surprised, which means I usually avoid being disappointed.

As for avoiding spoilers, that too has never been a problem of mine. I was introduced to SW in late 2004, and did a 'one movie per night Star Wars marathon', seeing 4,5,6,1,2 completely unspoiled except for the Darth Vader is Luke's father twist that my father revealed as a trick to get his daughters to give SW a chance(I REFUSED to try SW at that time, lol, just from the R2-D2 & C-3P0 posters he showed me and so he thought us knowing the villain is the hero's father would at least get us curious). I was totally unspoiled for ROTS too as I waited one very long year for the release of the movie. Never saw the trailer beforehand, never heard any rumor. I only had the five previous movies as a source of speculation. ROTS surprised me on every aspect except the Sidious is Palpatine twist(I had guessed that from my first TPM viewing).

TFA is the first SW trailer I've ever seen, and other than the cast members, I know nothing. I lurk in the 7SA forum still, but avoiding the rumor threads. Even should I glimpse some potential spoilers I honestly don't believe I would get real leaked information so my reflex would be to dismiss & forget about them. I think through our speculation just from the trailer we might rightly guess a lot of things about TFA anyway...TFA in that sense is my 'Trailer Trials'. If after seeing the movie I get annoyed from what I've predicted based on the trailer alone, that will be my cue not to see the trailers for Episode 8 and 9.

I think we all control the level of spoilers we get so even with a few years of wait we have the option to enter the next entries with more or less clean states. Speaking for myself, though, I actually find the speculation/anticipation for a movie the best part of a movie experience. That and standing two hours in line for a midnight premiere, lol.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So, I just checked the website of Sweden's largest cinema chain, SF. According to them, in Sweden The Force Awakens opens on December 16!
    This is probably not set in stone yet, but it is in line with most big blockbuster movies nowadays, since most of them open between two and ten days before the US premiere (gone are the days of waiting until august to see the new Star Wars movie, like in 1999 [face_sigh] ).
    And they always have a midnight showing, starting at 11.59pm the night before.

If this is correct, we Swedes get to see The Force Awakens two whole days before the US audience! :D

Skellybobs and EHT like this.
  9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Interesting. According to the release dates information on IMDB (HERE), Sweden gets it on the 18th, and the earliest anyone gets it is the 17th.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Indeed, but IMDb is often wrong when it comes to Swedish release dates.
    SF are usually very reliable (they are the ones showing it after all) - but I don't know if I've ever checked a release date this far in advance, so again, I doubt it is set in stone.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I don't doubt it. IMDB is often wrong in general, haha. I just didn't know about release dates in particular.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I usually find IMDB to be pretty good when it comes to release dates[face_dunno]

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, I said specifically Swedish ones.

14. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I think leading up to December I'm going to watch one Star Wars movie a month.

15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Heck, leading up to release, I'll be watching one SW movie a day! (or as many days as it would take to get thru one with a full time job and two toddlers...) ;)

Forbidden Island likes this.
  16. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You have to be willing to give up sleep

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Episode VIII has got a release date now. Back to the May releases tradition.

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

Source: starwars.com

EDIT: didn't see the thread for this :p

18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Too true.

In order to watch movies I'd want to see like SW nowadays, I already have to wait till everyone's asleep (around 9pm) before starting. The reason it takes 2 - 3 days to finish one is because I end up falling asleep halfway thru it. :p

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, this has now been confirmed! It seems most several European countries will get the film two days before the US!

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Now 99 days left in the US. [face_dancing]

B99 likes this.
  21. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Huh, just find out that we (Slovenia) get it on the 17th. At least that's how the theater lists it.

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's likely a lot of theaters will open it the night before, and before midnight. That's what I've seen lately.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ppl were saying there will be 7pm showings the night before!

Ps: 600 days till VIII !

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    70 days left! :falcon:

B99 likes this.
  25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    U mean 54!!!!! :) :)

TigerCraneFist likes this.