main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why would we do that? It's a fun theory

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Because it's extremely unlikely. IMHO, she'll be either a Skywalker or... someone else entirely (i.e. related to no one we know).

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's interesting that the theories for the overall TLJ plot mostly (all?) fall into two categories: 1) a plot entirely, or mostly, centered on Rey's past, or 2) a plot that has absolutely nothing to do with Rey's past.

I'm still rooting for the latter because I want Rey to be a general whoever. But if she's got to be somebody's relative, Palpatine isn't so bad, especially if Plagueis was his enemy. Although it still sort of smacks of Disney Sequel (srsly almost EVERY Disney cartoon sequel was about the offspring, often of the enemy of the first film... gah.)

Dr. Steve Brule and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since Rey has more potentials the Anakin, I don't think we can call her a "general whoever"

Really? I can't rember one with the offspring of the enemy of the first film.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't the Lion King's sequel have Simba's offspring vs Scar's?

Jedi Knight Fett and AusStig like this.
  6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Kovu was Scar's adopted son, and to be fair, the real villain was actually Zira, Scar's mate.

EDIT: Apparently, Zira may not even have been his mate, but simply a devoted follower.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You are right about Kiara but as I recall so was Kovu just Scars chosen successor, not his son.

Also I meant to write "I can't rember one with the offspring of the enemy of the first film.", not "I can't rember one with the offspring of the first film", I have edited that mistake.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's Descendants, with the offspring of a whole bunch of Disney villains.

They're more "villain protagonists" than "antagonists" though. Also, not animated.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yeah. But that thing really doesn't, doesn't count.
    Like that one time on Cato Neimoidia.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Rey Palpatine / Kenobi / the Hutt / Whatever is predicated on the notion that Star Wars is "all about" surprise family reveals, and so makes sense on that level alone. The only problem is that's not true.

Luke as Vader Jr. works because it's adequately foreshadowed beforehand. Yes, of course, we all know that Lucas was making it up as he went along and stuff like "That's what I'm afraid of" wasn't REALLY foreshadowing, but there was already a strong connection between Luke, Vader and Luke's father regardless. It was an existing thread to be turned on its head.

Leia as Luke's sister doesn't work quite as well, but we'd still been told to be on the lookout for another Skywalker and they'd had that mental connection at the end of TESB.

Rey Kenobi!Palpatine, though? It's just out of the blue. A twist for the sake of a twist. Especially since, irrespective of her biological background, Rey is already a Skywalker thematically.

. . .

Which means to say that I fully expect JJ to reveal that Rey is indeed a Kenobi or Palpatine in Episode IX. [face_plain]

jasonfry, Dr. Steve Brule and AusStig like this.
  11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Guys she’s obviously Qui-Gon’s great niece.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    She's Qui-Gon's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I still say that she is the grandchild/great-grandchild to Dooku and Talzin

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes but you're Gamiel, Gamiel.

Vthuil likes this.
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I've seen suspiciously few posts speculating that she's somehow related to Jar Jar and one of Padmé's handmaidens.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The latter is folded into the Kenobi theory. Kenobi-Sabé fangirls back out in force after the purge of the early 00s.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rey is really likely is the child of someone we've seen before in Star Wars. Because there is a mystery around her parentage. Earned or not, there's no indication Rey doesn't know who her parents are, she's waiting for them. Or she could just in general be waiting for someone with a sign around their neck that says "Rey's parents" to show up and she actually doesn't know who they are. But she was fiercely trying to go back to Jakku, numerous times. And one of the reasons she doesn't go back is Maz tells her that they're never coming back to Jakku.

So Rey's parents are officially a plot thing. And it ain't going to be a satisfying resolution to the aforementioned plot thing if the answer is "Oy, it's me parents! Bob and Sarah!" "Hi, it's me! I'm Bob, Rey's dad!" I mean, who cares?

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It'll be the polar bear from Lost moment for SW.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Which I felt DID have a satisfying answer! Well, JJ really wasn't involved in the show past Season 1 but he did co-write and direct the Season 3 premiere which did provide the polar bear answer. (They were brought there as a part of various wacky experiments)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Such is the reputation of that particular piece that it is known to those who never even watched Lost!

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh I have no idea. I never watched any of them. I've only seen a bunch of straight-to-dvd trailers and there's always a younger version of the baddie in the first film they're fighting, so I assumed they're all the vilains' kids. Also there was the show Iron Lord mentioned, which I thought was a live action version of the nextgen baddies.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of wild theories, here's a few ideas of who Snoke could be.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Fox, gyrinx (40K space cat) and I've seen it described as "ice wolf" too.

If "wolf" then, regarding the Loth-wolf from Rebels trailers, and the ice wolf from The Last Jedi trailers:

Rebels Loth-wolf
    [​IMG]

TLJ "ice wolf"
    [​IMG]

do you think there will be some sort of connection?

Jedi Knight Fett and starfish like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    TLJ's creature have a shorter snout, have crystals (possibly ice) for fur (or covering their fur), while Loth-wolf's have noraml fur and I got the impression they were not that big but that's hard to say if that's true

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Loth-cats from Lothal are a (somewhat belligerent) version of Tookas from all over the galaxy. Something similar may apply here - a regional variant of a more universal creature. That said, the icy-looking creature does have much bigger ears to go with its shorter snout.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.