main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW also went back to Jedi Quest, by making the homeworld of gundarks, be Vanqor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    How is it different?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    While also kinda wrecking it by having it be the first time Obi-Wan went there

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Did he actually say he'd never been to Vanqor before, or just imply it with the "Then this must be Vanqor" comment?

Keep in mind that in AOTC him and Anakin talk about falling into a nest of gundarks (the Jedi Quest book with the Vanqor scenes was created after AOTC, providing backstory to that remark).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    speaking of AOTC marketing does anyone have that gif they had around the time where they digitally morphed Jake Loyd into Hayden Christensen? that was so weird.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway on topic

Funny quip but I say the guard just drops it. Is that when Rey gets the slash on her arm anyway?

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I just saw that.

I dunno. Clearer images clearly show it just disappears. Even if we say he dropped it, that's just us explaining it away.

That's just bad.

And we didn't notice.

8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The only way to notice is watching it frame by frame, so it's kind of making something out of nothing.

They only continuity break that bothers me is when Rey is training with her staff on Ahch-To. There's a close up shot looking at her face up the staff, and she's for her elbow up, staff resting near her cheek. Next shot is from behind, and the stuff is under her arm. Stuff like that bothers me. Especially because the close up is a very awkward way to hold that staff, and Daisy doesnt look confident holding it like that. Like ahe didnt put in the training time she obviously did elsewhere.

9. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Uh...you're concerned by some wonky staff shot that doesn't really affect story.

That scene above should essentially end with the guard stabbing her in the back and ending her character arc.

Instead the knife just...disappears.

Vialco likes this.
  10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    If it were more obvious i'd be concerned, but it's so subtle it practically doesnt exist. The other is so jarring it takes me out of the film.

Revanfan1, vncredleader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So I was flipping through the Art of TLJ some more, and I realized there does seem to be concept art for a First Order attack on Ahch-To and a Luke/Rey/Kylo confrontation on the island. It took me this long to realize it, because there's nothing in the text that mentions this, or even descriptions of those images, but that's obviously what they are. But given there's no mention from Johnson in the text about this being considered at any point, I wonder if it was from very early (pre-rough draft) ideas he had for an outline, or just something the art crew went with.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    This is the only part of your statement that matters. Calm down.

Vthuil, connor413, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Same with the TFA art book, I believe they left out stuff from the film's climax to avoid spoilers leaking. You'll notice the TLJ one starts with concepts of Han's death and Luke's island from TFA. Some art from the Crait battle and of Luke's death has been released online since, I believe, and presumably it'll show up in the IX art book.

EDIT: In fact, as I recall, the shot in the book of the walkers on Crait has Luke cropped out to preserve the spoiler, and the full version was released online later.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The knife thing is odd because it seems to be a practical prop in what's obviously an incredibly intricate fight choreography. I wonder what happened

Revanfan1 and Vialco like this.
  15. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Matt, it's probably as the joke went. Unable to figure out how to finish that without concluding she should be stabbed, they simply made the knife go bye bye.

Jedi Princess: Don't be condescending.It's rude.

The person making the joke on twitter is most likely right though. We didn't notice.

The issue in that scene for me is that the choreography in that scene does affect plot. The knife simply disappears when it could be utilized. Just because you didn't notice doesn't make it any less true.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    This seems unlikely to me because...
    It's a very intensely choreographed sequence, so I have trouble believing "But what about the other knife" wasn't something that came up in the process of building and rehearsing this fight. It's clearly a mistake in the final cut, but I wonder what happened, is all.

When did it become so in vogue to think that everyone who works in movies is lazy, cynical, and bad at their jobs?

Revanfan1 and Manuel Bothans like this.
  17. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    No condescension intended. Just, you didn't notice it, most people didn't notice it, things like this happen in movies all the time and no one notices them. Sidious' lightsaber changes between shots in Revenge of the Sith. Most of Luke's blows on the sail barge in Return of the Jedi don't land. TIE fighters pop out of nowhere in the asteroid field and the Death Star II battle. Now that someone's pointed it out, now it's suddenly an "issue".

Vthuil, connor413, jasonfry and 3 others like this.
  18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The Prequels. Or at least, around that time is when I noticed films becoming more and more scrutinized in this nature. I remember when film criticism wasn't just weirdos posting long diatribes on the internet in blogs or on Youtube about why a movie sucked.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I would assume the knife had such a keen edge it accidentally cut itself from the film.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I noticed something else off with that particular guard, without anyone pointing it out. After Rey deals him a very superficial slash, he disengages completely and the next time we see him, he's standing at his original post by the crimson drape, just unsheathing his weapons. Which makes absolutely no sense.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Mind posting the clip and pointing it out?

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    On some level I like the fact that anyone and everyone can have their voice heard more than ever, but yeah this has also empowered the "scream the loudest" past of fandom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is fine IMO cause he just seems to be collecting himself and then breaking his weapon into two, which it was not in when he engaged Rey earlier.

Vialco likes this.
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I guess so....he sure takes a long time to collect himself while his comrades are being trounced one by one.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is fine IMO cause he just seems to be collecting himself and then breaking his weapon into two, which it was not in when he engaged Rey earlier.
    Didn't you see the scene earlier when he talks about how they all owe him money for movie tickets that they PROMISED they would pay him back for?

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    dude needed a moment, just saw his boss chopped in half, cut him a break.

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.