main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well ep 9 is gonna use old concepts from 7 JJ still has time to do weird things with Luke and rocks!

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I doubt that's what Abrams intended, considering he has Han explain what happened and why Luke left.

Link1130 likes this.
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    A lot has been said about the Rey/Kylo relationship. But I'll say this. Rey never wavers in her dedication to the Resistance and the cause of freedom. She doesn't even consider accepting Kylo's offer. As soon as the Praetorian's are defeated, her first thought is for saving the Resistance Fleet. Not kissing Kylo, or even embracing him in victory. She wants his help in defeating the First Order. It makes Luke's claim of her falling to the Dark Side "for a pair of pretty eyes" fall on it's face.

I'm still a fan of Rey after this film. My only real criticism of her is that she didn't take Kylo's weapon with her when she woke up in the throne room.

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    As divided as I am over TLJ/Rian Johnson's choices I still think Rey and Kylo are fantastic characters worthy of the long list of great Star Wars characters.

V-2 likes this.
  5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yup. And equally I don't think Kylo wavers from the dark side for a second. He's evaluating his choices sure, but he's in no way considering joining Rey in that moment, and I don't think at any point in the film. Each of them is pretty firmly rooted on their respective side, and is trying to get the other to come join them, knowing they themselves aren't going to budge.

I forget the post, but someone pointed out how Rey and Finn have chemistry, whereas Rey and Kylo have conflict throughout; they're always brittle.

EDIT: Here we go: Chemistry vs. Friction. It's coached in FinnRey shipping stuff, but I like the central idea that Rey and Kylo just aren't compatible in any meaningful way based on how their relationship/connection is presented.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think Rey and Kylo are drawn to each other by their power and their "relationship" thus far, but while Rey wants to bring Kylo back from the dark side I don't think Kylo really knows what he wants except to have her with him - not even in a romantic sense, necessarily. I do think if we take Snoke seriously, Kylo is in a tough place, here, and is deeply conflicted. I don't think he makes the decision to take the throne until after the fight with the guards. I don't think he's planning to turn his back on Snoke and join Rey, either, though. I just don't think he has a plan.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    DarthJaceus, Ghost, Link1130 and 2 others like this.
  7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Both clearly think the other is interesting, and I think the idea that there was no chemistry whatsoever is wrong, but both at least atm have firmly opposed moral axioms.

BobaMatt likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I quite like that idea of mutual conversion. The difficulty I have is making it work with the insane timetable, with a gap between TFA and TLJ, I could perhaps buy the idea that Rey decides converting Kylo would blow a big hole in the FO, with him slowly overcoming the shock of finding someone who can match him to start thinking the same. But 2-3 days on? Agh.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I think VIII deliberately positions Rey and Ren as doing things cause those are the 'rules' of Star Wars. Rey tries to redeem Ren cause that's what Jedi do, Ren tries to turn Rey because that's what Sith do. By film's end, they've both come into their own because they've both realized that just trying to be Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader is holding them back.

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Lucky there's that vision for them to interpret, then.

11. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Kylo wants Rey to join him as early as TFA. I think there could be some context in his "stronger than she knows" lines, but he also specifically offers his services to her as a teacher.

Regarding Rey, I think we've got a few things in play that, to me, makes it fairly believable. There's first the shock of Skywalker not being who she thought he would be, which I think opens her mind to accept that maybe people aren't what you first assume them to be. Then you have their forced Force conversations which allows her to see him more as a person than just a faceless monster (one who seemingly supports her more than Luke at that point). Then you have the vision where she sees him returning to the light which also makes her, as you said, realize the benefit to the war if Kylo turns. Finally, you have Luke turning down Rey for the final time which really only leaves her one option, in her mind, to get a powerful Jedi on the side of the Resistance.

BobaMatt and Jedi Princess like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Except I just can't get past the whole 'assault, kidnap, strap into a torture chamber' that Kylo pulls in TFA.

What we see in TFA is that Rey isn't forgiving of wrong doing, she's quick to deck Finn because she thinks he's a thief, so why in TLJ does Kylo get this, whatever it is?

Then there's the 'kills his dad in front of her' aspect. And both of these are so very, very recent - it's a very short amount of time for a view to change so radically.

13. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002

Well, if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you, right. I will say I think your comparison to Finn hurts your argument, though. Yeah, she decks him because she thinks he's a thief, but then they get to know each other and in a very short span of time become quite close. Obviously, a falsely accused thief and an unrepentant father killer (patricider?) aren't the same at all, but still.

I guess for me I can buy forgiving someone for those things, especially when you've essentially been locked into a metaphysical room with the person and forced to talk things out. If you can't, that's cool.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I'd see quite a bit of difference between Finn and Kylo! In the case of Finn, it really is a case of mistaken identity - he didn't do it.

In contrast, Kylo doubles down on that - he's going to bragging to the galaxy he killed Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.

Hadn't ever considered it in this way, it's a neat way of looking of it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But can it be said that they really talked thins out? Rey never points out all the evil she saw him do and he never talks about it either

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You might be better directing that Q elsewhere G, it isn't really my concept - I like it, but it's not my work.

17. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002

I don't believe we see every second of their conversations although I also don't necessarily think they went down a point by point list of everything Kylo had done. I think it's more just they were forced to talk and in those conversations she came to see him as a person.

I think a lot of times we demonize those we don't really understand and define them only by their worst traits. If we really know someone though I think we find we can forgive a lot. In a world where feelings can literally corrupt or save your soul, I can believe Rey could forgive Kylo's actions if she really felt he was a good person corrupted by the dark side.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I should mention the last few posts are why I still keep an eye on the thread despite not being a fan of the movie.

I'm looking for that different take, different way of looking at it that might be of help to me too.

Link1130 and Gamiel like this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Necessity. I think Finn is a bad analogue because she and Finn are both good friends by the end of TFA, regardless of how she treats him when she's just met him and has no context whatsoever, but in TLJ she knows how this story is "supposed" to go and, arrogantly, thinks she's ready and able to bring about Kylo's redemption. She senses the same conflict Snoke berates him for.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Exactly. Rey decides to move past the TFA behaviour because she sees the vision and is panicking because Luke isn't budging. So she things she's going to do the ROTJ narrative, and damn the context.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    More than just her vision - she's been forced to spend time with him and get to know him a little in non-slavering-villain contexts, and we know that his behavior in those moments isn't *merely an act,* because Snoke has been chastising him for his "weakness." So it's not just the vision and hardheadedness - it's that she really senses that she might be able to reach him, that he feels strongly about her, that he's hurt and needs help, that he feels lost. And to her credit I think she almost succeeds.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    DarthJaceus, BigAl6ft6 and Link1130 like this.
  22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    After having rewatched Episode I-VI I can't help but feel like somethings off with the ST and hurts to say especially since I love Star Wars so but it just doesn't feel like Star Wars IMO ofc anyone here is free to have their own opinion and if anyone here feels that it does feel like a geniune continuation of the Star Wars saga then that's good for you.

I just feel like they have done a disservice to the characters I grew up with, they've either played it way to safe and made their character arcs take several steps back (smuggler Han, Rebel leader Leia, yet again Luke is the last jedi) or made them do actions I feel like they would have never done. And poor Chewie, all he was was basically comic relief with the porgs or Rey's designated driver in TLJ, Threepio is basically a cameo at this point and R2 barely has any screentime.
    And yes I know that this isn't their story anymore but come on you can still do a new generation story while still respecting the old characters. Ofc the new gen will take center stage but it doesn't have to be at the expense of the old heroes.

and most of all IMO the magic and wonder that I feel while watching the GL saga (and the Spin offs) just isn't there in the ST, it just feel so corporate and soul less and unimaginitive. I do not consider the ST to be canon but I'll still watch episode IX in theaters because I'm still curious ofcourse of how it will end and also to show my support. I don't want another BO bomb because that would bury Star Wars (and create several more topics for smug/annoying Alt-right youtubers to make videos about :rolleyes:) and I want Star Wars to last for many years because I do love the cartoon stuff and The Mandalorian looks promising :D
    (I also hate loose ends it triggers my OCD so I need to see a Crimson Dawn wrap up [face_laugh])

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    ImpKnight and Todd the Jedi like this.
  23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I wouldnt limit this to "talking things out," because their connection goes beyond simply appearing to be in each other's physical presence. They are connecting on a spiritual level. So what Rey perceives is true... but she's presumably not being allowed to see the fuller picture either by Kylo showing only that face that has the potential for redemption... or by Snoke.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Or, what she sees is true, and Kylo really is super conflcted.

25. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I really appreciate the movie threads in the Literature forum for this. I think these threads have (for the most part) avoided a lot of the extremism that pops up in the main film forums up above.

son_of_skywalker03 and Jedi Ben like this.