main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah I can't agree with the people who say she is in love with Ren or that he makes her go weak in the knees and that flies against her character development.
    Because none of that happened. She certainly sees a more vulnerable, conflicted side to him and that makes her want to try to turn him, but at no point does she just fall over for him.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    She is, as Snoke calls her, "the scavenger." She's used to taking broken, potentially dangerous things and finding new uses for them. Kylo Ren certainly qualifies as that.

Sarge and Sturm Antilles like this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Luke was a farm boy. He was used to planting seeds of love and watching them grow. Darth Vader just needed a little light.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    --and Ben Solo was a wEeD tHaT nEeDeD tO buRN BEFORE HE CORRUPTED THE REST OF LUKE'S GARDEN!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Sturm Antilles and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Pfft. What Darth Vader really needed was a droid that understood the binary language of moisture vaporators.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Last Jedi looks so dang good. It's seriously a lock for my #2 best looking Star War movie, right behind ESB. I'd put Revenge of the Sith at #3 with A New Hope #4, probably Rogue One #5. I actually loved the way Solo looks too even though people complained about it being too dark.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    If anything, this goes to show how poorly Jakku is portrayed and how she was never characterized well in the first place. On a planet where scavengers have to fight over potentially valuable but increasingly scarce resources in a barren hellhole in order to survive, she can basically make someone give up prime operating machinery by just telling them to go away with absolutely no resistance whatsoever. And not only that, she then decides to become BB-8's mother for a little bit as if she isn't doing the exact same thing. BB-8 should be a mere item to her for the purpose of selling for supplies but we can't have that because then she won't win over the audience with some vacuous charm that ultimately does her character a disservice to begin with.

This whole concept of morality that she just has for some reason is incredibly uninspired because she has lived her whole life by scavenging things from a battlefield but suddenly cares that Finn took the jacket from a guy who he thought died on the exact same planet after a skirmish.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    eko32eko7 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yeah uh I didn't want to see Rey have to murder Teedo with her bare hands and then disassemble BB-8 while he was squealing for mercy. She has a good heart, she's a lead Star Wars character.

Sarge, Sturm Antilles, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  9. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Really could not have put it better myself.

10. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    She’s a lonely young woman who lives on her own in an old AT-AT. It makes perfect sense to me that she’d jump at the first opportunity to form a relationship with a charismatic little droid — much in the same way she quickly adopts Han as a surrogate parent.

Even though she was abandoned by her family, Rey holds out hope that they will one day come back for her. That doesn’t sound like a cold-hearted cynic who has sworn off personal ties to me.

Dawud786, Mia Mesharad, Kylun and 6 others like this.
  11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Because extremely adverse situations always makes everyone immoral and heartless?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Luke and Anakin also came from similar places where resources were scarce; didn't make them any less compassionate than the lead characters have always been.

And you're contradicting yourself in the BB-8 example. You're implying Rey's being hypocritical by taking ownership of BB-8, but you then point out she's not doing that because she needs to come across as charming. So... she isn't a typical scavenger, and she's got thugs like Unkar and Teedo as measuring sticks to compare her moral compass against.

On the last part, she's following BB-8's lead, and I think it's pretty clear they both assume Finn's probably killed Poe to get his jacket -- because this is a barren hellhole after all. So Rey's not seeing the truth immediately, and when Finn explains it, and BB-8 calms down, Rey understands.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sooo... We're going with an alternate take where as soon as Rey gets the lightsaber she uses it to decapitate BB-8 so scarring an entire generation of young, new SW fans?

Er.... No. This is SW, not Doctor Who.

14. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Wait... Jodie Whittaker decapitated K-9?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] You're a sick man in an iron mask!

Vialco and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Danny Pink! I'm getting good at this game.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Danny. Pink. Danny ****in' Pink. Hated that waste of space, now there's someone that should have got the Highlander treatment!

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    thread relevant

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is...good?

20. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It would have been better if it was 3 minutes shorter.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How do people make these crazy Lego sets without an official kit and parts made specifically for the set? I mean, my Lego bucket only had those little red, blue and yellow rectangles...

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Some people are just really into Lego.

24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    This statement basically proves what I was saying earlier. You're not against this because you believe it would be unrealistic for her to do such a thing but because she's a lead Star Wars character. That's not good character writing. It's a cheap and lazy way to appeal a character to a mass audience when Rey could have been so much more. Which leads us top Philosopher and Axe's statements.

Now, do such situations make everyone immoral and heartless? Probably not everyone but to say that such environments don't end up rewarding those who are the most cunning and ruthless is just as untrue. Consider this. Luke, despite living in a pretty remote area, still had family and friends friends. He had learned a trade. He lived a relatively stable childhood and adolescence and a lot of his personality and decisions are informed by this background. He is well-adjusted when compared to someone like Anakin but it's worth keeping in mind that despite Anakin's slave background ultimately ingraining fundamental fears regarding a lack of control within him, he was still raised by a loving parent even in the midst of being a child slave. Rey, on the other hand, has no one. She has to fend entirely for herself. Her teacher is the crushing reality that she faces every single day where the only thing she is reliant on is her ability to tinker and survive by any means necessary. Killing for valuable resources that are potentially dwindling on a planet like Jakku may seem like a horrifying thing for someone like Rey to do in this story but then again, that would kind of be the point.

It would pose some interesting questions regarding how she progresses through her journey in the trilogy that separates her from previous protagonists almost immediately and makes her interesting without a bunch of lackluster speculation-mongering. She's Anakin but without any substantive guidance whatsoever. A young woman for whom anger, deceit, violence and hatred are regular and sadly needed allies on a world that is unforgiving. It'd be a story that involves someone rising from a state associated with the dark rather than one where the risk is falling into it like it was with Anakin and Luke.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    to restate: Rey brutally murdering Teedo and emotionlessly disassembling BB-8 for portions is an incredibly awful idea.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019