main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Conversely, that's what piqued my interest.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Some potential info on the Dubrovnik scenes:

"There are rumours the city’s main street might be used as a setting for an action or chase scene as the windows of the houses along the route are going to be covered in order to facilitate special effects filming later on. There is also talk of a replica of the street to have been built in a studio somewhere in the UK, which will be used for planning the film shoot so the time spent on location is used efficiently as possible."

The details:

Most of the filming will be done at night. filming 4pm to 4am local time.
    There will be a chase sequence.
    They will only film for a week, but the filming is said to be intense.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The Chase part 2: Rey takes Finn's hand this time!

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    http://www.mtv.com/news/2746869/daisy-ridley-star-wars-episode-viii-rey-luke/

Aside from the extremely lovely photo of Ridley from the Oscars, here's two good tidbits:

“When we went back to Skellig to do the opening of [Episode] VIII, it was so crazy doing the same scene with a different crew of people....Seriously. Luke is so cool in this one. Really."

So she is basically confirming, yes, this is the same scene that ended Episode VII. Extrapolate from there. (and obviously more Luke. I'd wager he has the Han Solo role in this one, comparable to screentime thereabouts. Han was the supporting character in TFA, Luke would be the supporting character in VIII)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    But, but the opening crawl... is it just gonna be a synopsis of TFA?!

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Meh. Letting Rian Johnson do his thing/try some new stuff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>keeping the opening crawl the same as it's always been, to me at least.

Also presumably there's other important stuff going on in the galaxy that we just haven't seen, so there's a start. Or they do the "immediately after scene," THEN do the opening crawl, and then do the traditional time skip. That could work to.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "It is an uncertain time in the galaxy. The First Order has suffered a resounding defeat but is now [whatever].

The New Republic is also recoiling from its own loss and is determined to [whatever].

Meanwhile, on the distant planet Ahch-To, the mysterious Rey has succeeded in locating Luke Skywalker, and is hopeful to begin Jedi training...."

In other words: they can discuss the fallout from TFA, as it relates to the plot of VIII, without having to just recap the movie itself. Especially if it starts on Ahch-To and then a couple months pass before we see anything else.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It could even refer to things that have happened before TFA which are now relevant. I half expect a time jump. Maybe even the crawl to be after the opening scene for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You know, it dawned on me that there is nothing that says the war will be full go in Episode VIII. Each side suffered a major loss, perhaps the focus will be more on Rey, Luke, and the Knights of Ren. Getting Luke back into action before the Galaxy falls once again into full scale war may be more critical than we think.

--Adm. Nick

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It totally depends on what kind of forces the FO had beyond Starkiller--we don't really know how big of a materiel loss it was. Especially since pretty much everyone seems to have escaped.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Good point. I'm hoping that the Republic (either via units not at Hosnian Prime or via member worlds) still have resources to fight back with. Underdogs, sure, but still capable of staging a... resistance. :p

--Adm. Nick

12. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    According to the Visual Dictionary the First Order Navy was larger than the New Republic Navy (thanks to the New Republic disarmament programs) before the StarKiller fired and this force was largely unaffected by the events of the film. But the New Republic is in a better position to bounce back strategically from their losses than the First Order.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I remember the VD saying the NRDF was larger than the FO fleet.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's probably exactly what we'll see over the next two films--the destruction of the fleet at Hosnian puts the ST in a position to mimic the slow consolidation of Alliance forces throughout the OT.

AdmiralNick22 and Karl0413 like this.
  15. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015

According to Wookieepedia:

With the New Republic's military disarmament program, many within the First Order fleet joked that their fleet was virtually unsurpassed in size and strength. Despite this, the First Order lacked the resources of the Old Empire, and as a result the fleet, while larger than the New Republic Navy was a mere fraction of the size of the former Imperial Navy.

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    This is correct. The VD says that the First Order fleet stands almost unchallenged, although it pales in comparison to the Imperial Navy of old, not the New Republic fleet.

Karl0413 likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm thinking that Snoke has more than just the FO under his control.
    Could be completely wrong though.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm thinking that the new Senate is going to be full of his cronies, those Senators conveniently absent from Hosnian Prime.

19. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015

Like the one from Poe's story in Journey to The Awakening, were they dispatched a naval battle group to rescue him when Poe's squadron attacked his yacht?

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm going to be rather irrationally annoyed if they do this. I don't like the idea of saying flatly that they can't, but... I still kind of personally feel like that kind of break from the normal way of doing things in Star Wars should be reserved for the spinoffs.

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly so.

It would also give us a film with a PT element for good measure so by the time we reach Episode IX the homages are dealt with!

Karl0413 likes this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, the VG states that despite downscaling that the NRDF is the largest fleet in the Galaxy. The ICS implies that the First Order Fleet is larger, so we have a bit of a discrepancy here. Personally, it makes sense for the NRDF in TFA to have an advantage over the FO Navy, hence the need to knock out a good portion of the fleet with the destruction of the Hosnian system.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I want the NRDF to be the most powerful and largest pre-Hosnian.

After that the balls should be up in the air - my plotline for an One Canon RP I am running is that the FO invades after Starkiller is destroyed in the traditional manner, but it's not a sure thing; they need to isolate and take out as much of the surviving fleet and structure before it regroups and they cannot succeed. Which means seizing control of communications at Holonet hubs on Praesitlyn. Esfandia and Generis for example. As long as they control the HoloNet, there is no government or military structure to hand to coordinate things without the HoloNet so it keeps things disjointed for as long as possible. Bel Iblis is pinned down at Generis, Sovv has stepped back to Sullust but is now too far from the front, Antilles has joined up with Omas skulking near Ruan with the Galactic Voyager, and Niathal has just been on the run for a fortnight with the Bounty and has been crippled by Dorja over Eshan - resulting into him and his fleet blundering into battle with most of the 6th Fleet, which plucked serving Senators like Treen and Clighal out from the irradiated Hosnian system who had either been at the edge of the system or aboard the larger Dreadnoughts and survived because of the extra shielding and hull even though the Viscount and Guardian are not even remotely intact - and the First Fleet is gone. Ackbar is off to Esfandia in the Home One, and Leia is holding at Yavin assembling a plan to capture Snoke and Kylo using a team lead by a Han Solo lookalike who is about to gain the Millennium Falsehood to sell the trick, all the while Pellaeon edges around the First Order structure to assemble a counter plan with bounty hunters as his anonymous weapon of choice and Remnant Imperials like Temm, Stele and Phennir look at the First Order as a threat to Imperial culture more and more as the war progresses, all the while the Jedi come out of the woodwork after years in hiding. And don't get me started on what Lumiya, Tremayne, Daala and Krayt are up to on their separate fronts while Jacen, Jaina, Mara and Kyp are definitely rogue from everyone else including each other.

I also just let a bounty hunter kill Flennic, because that had to be done.

So much fun.

I'm going to be quiet now.

But yeah. Episode VIII best give me a few weeks to set up DNT(!)

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You are such a strange person.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I love you too, it's okay.

Force Smuggler likes this.