main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't know... both in the months after TLJ and in the aftermath of the GoT finale, I seem to remember plenty of posts here in Lit as well as various thinkpieces online that didn't just claim that TLJ and/or GoT did subverting expectations "wrong," they actually questioned the value of that particular writer's tool. It steals the reward the viewer expects to gain for their investment in characters or story; it violates the conventions of genre; it's all only about "shock value"; etc etc. Not that I can find any examples of those posts or articles now, of course, so YMMV. [face_sigh]

2. Cheeky Potato

Cheeky Potato Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    Yeah I've definitely seen a lot of people on reddit ridicule the notion of 'subverting expectations' in relation to TLJ and the last season of GoT, and not just that they did it badly, a lot of people seem to think that the issue is doing it at all. Ironically of course a lot of these people are the same ones that praised the early seasons of GoT for not going the way you thought they would... (Not defending GoT btw, but I thought the problems in the later seasons were more due to rushed pacing that stopped things from really making sense rather than necessarily the plot points themselves).

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  3. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Both R1 and Solo do some things that I would classify as “subverting expectations.” Enfys Nest and her crew of marauders turning out to actually be the good guys was a pretty great twist. I have to agree with Jedi Ben that a lot of RJs stuff seems aimed as “gotcha” towards the audience more than anything else in a way that didn’t really gel with me.

As for GoT laters seasons, it’s problems run far deeper than “subverting expectations.”

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *strokes chin*

I think, when you have a kernel of disaffection in the community, you can’t play these subversions without expecting feedback.

I distinctly remember the period after TFA/RO/Rebels being one where a lot of naysayers were quieter in my world than not. By and large, Disney had played their Star Wars cards well.

But then to have a narratively subversive film turn up as the ostensible 8th film in a trilogy of trilogies was difficult for my initial thought to be “now why did you do that when you were just about to get this reboot rift healed.”

I lamented that they hadn’t decided that Luke was investigating the cycle of violence, the source of the evil, and trying to end it. Then, I patted down my expectations, remembered that they ruin things for me, and just enjoyed the film.

It helped that the Hux, Poe, Leia, Snoke, Ben and Rey scenes were brilliant to start. I genuinely thought Snoke was Palpatine during that film. And yet, distinctly Snoke, which was very fun.

But of course immediately after TLJ parts of the community retreated back to its pre-TFA Disney Sux mindset and I just had to sigh. I don’t think TLJ (or TFA or TROS) are perfect films. The criticisms of the ST are valid. But it was all too easy to just see people picking sides based on what they wanted TLJ to be.

And then that radicalism resulted in TROS being so safe (albeit deeply enjoyable for me). Now the cycle of violence isn’t ended but the light has simply Won Bigger Than Before, which is really no different than any other franchise, and what with no plans to End Star Wars after IX, I just shrug and enjoy the ST.

If we get X to XII, I’ll happily look forward to it.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I think Disney is done with the roman numerals so we won't be getting a 10-12 as that would imply a continuation of the Skywalker saga and 9 was "supposedly" the end of the Skywalker saga.

If they do decide to continue Rey, Finn, and Poe's story, I hope they start with "The New Order Chapter 1" or maybe they won't use a number at all, and just call it "The New Order" or something like that, something to indicate that this is a new story now and don't worry about what came before because we won't be when we're writing it.

PCCViking likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Whatever title they go with, it won't be "the new order" - the phrase is too linked to utter villainy.

Ghost likes this.
  7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Didn't the prologue of the original Star Wars novel state that it was excerpted "From the First Saga, Journal of the Whills"? Maybe they'll expand on that. Star Wars: The Second Saga doesn't have a bad ring to it, though if individual films have episode numbers again that could get a little messy. "Star Wars: The Second Saga: Episode I: Rise of the New Bad Guys" will be challenging to fit on an action figure cardback, to say the least.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They could go work "Chapter One" instead of "Episode One."

Maybe they'll start subtitling the next saga "A Star Wars Saga."

IG: @jedisufism

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will remain genuinely befuddled that people are legit mad at the Luke milking the space cow bit, I think it's hilarious. What sells it for me (aside from Hamill's swig) is the look on Rey's face when she first sees the space cow and she's like "Oh, that's cute, hi there!" and it just falls into "holy heck, this is gross and weird" when Luke starts milking and drinking it.

10. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    What's the argument against it? I understand, even if I don't agree with, the general disapproval of Luke's characterization, but what's the deal with the milking? To me, it's just an element of mixture of the alien and the familiar, like the Mos Eisley cantina.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't now I just see some posts like "Luke milking space cow bad!" and that's about it, I think it's gold.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Part of it is the creature design, there's a "hurr, hurr, we've got away with boobs in SW" element. You want Luke milking a cow's udders? Off you go then.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Bringing this back from the dead only because one tiny little thing has come up from Pablo Hildalgo Star Wars Fascinating Facts but in the book it says....

In George Lucas's script Luke was going to die at the End of Episode 8 as well and that was decided back in 2012

It also states that Lucas's inspiration for Luke in the Sequel Trilogy was Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2020
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Very interesting.

I really hope they can leak the Lucas plot treatments for the Sequel Trilogy, what they sold to Disney. Not the first scripts that Lucas helped with, as an advisor, before leaving. I think they should know people would pay good money for it, even if the pages leaked online they'd still make a huge profit.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’m sure they’re holding onto those to mine for future projects- either piecemeal or as an outline.

16. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I also want Herbert's Dune 7 notes.

17. President Bossk

President Bossk Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2019
    It would be really cool if they did something like Dark Horse's "The Star Wars", which was a what-if based on George's original SW script. Imagine doing this for his sequel trilogy script or notes. (Not that I think Disney would actually go for this)

Riv_Shiel, Ghost and Daneira like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If the Lucas Treatments haven't leaked while Collin's Duel of Fates Script has....then I doubt that Lucas scripts are coming anytime soon if they could they would have by now.

If anything it means his scripts are very incomplete and or being recycled for other things

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'd rather Lucas's plot treatments become the well-known alternative to the Sequel Trilogy we got, not just CT's script.

There's probably just higher security for it, fewer people in the know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke's exit in Last Jedi is so fantastic I'm a little disappointed he really only does the Force ghost Pep Talk bit in Episode IX cuz "See you around, kid." promised so much more. But he is part of all the Jedi at the end as well so that counts.

Anyway, Luke joining the Force seems like something that would happen in just about any version of the sequel trilogy whoever wrote it, just really depends on where it would land.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've said it before and I'll say it other forms but honestly I think The Sequels and NuCanon in general are honestly more true to Lucas's vision, concepts and theme than most fan give people credit for.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I suspect the originally spitballed 80s version of VII-IX wouldn't have looked that much different if they'd happened.

Rey would have been "the Other"/Luke's sister, of course, and Snoke would have just been the not-yet-been-killed Palpatine at the head of his not-yet-overthrown-Empire.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Considering the Emperor was gonna be the big bad in 9 I wouldn't be surprised.

Granted i don't think George went into his Ep 7 by the time of 2012 thinking Palpatine was gonna be the big bad again...Although I would not put it past him to bring Palpatine back.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Kennedy is quoted as saying it was "always the plan" to bring Palpatine back and I'm not one of those folks who think she's lying all the time and take her at her word. Really who's "always the plan" was it. I do think Lucas would have gone Resurrected Palpatine, even despite his random "Emperor was never cloned" comments years ago.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, no- we know definitively from the Duel of the Fates script that it was not always the plan. The original plan was dropped when Fisher passed and DOTF was discarded. Perhaps, from that point on, with JJ's involvement, it was "always the plan". But certainly not prior, barring a cameo or vision.

Riv_Shiel likes this.