main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True....Palpatine only appeared in a Hologram in DOTF script .

To be fair we could take KK's comments as "We wanted Palpatine to appear in some form" in 9 and by the time they got to Ep 9 JJ just went all in.

Especially considering later drafts in DOTF scripts would introduce a Villain for Kylo and Rey to come against anyway.

JJ took that idea and decided "Let's just make it Palpatine" and bada bing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I heard "always the plan" was more open than him being physically alive, and that they consider hologram and literal phantom appearances.

3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I think you also have to consider that Lucasfilm wasn't particularly keen on the direction of Trevorrow's script and he was dropped from the production.

Notnsaying there's a correlation.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I absently wonder if the meta message of Last Jedi will end up not being “we need to break the cycle” but really “Darth Sidious *is* the cycle”.

In their arrogance, the OT cast assumed that he was gone and they had won... and repeated the error of the PT.

Thus the mirror telling Rey that a clone had survived. Maybe.

I reckon it wouldn’t take much to tighten TLJ up in the narrative. The VDs have done pretty well.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've talked to some folks who've done marathon watching in Chronological order of Ep 1-9 and have said they've had better experiences with the ST on the whole. Of course that person was pretty positive about TLJ from the get-go.

But that would be interesting...

I am curious how the meta-story of the Entire Saga forms when those who ONLY know Ep 1-9 become the dominate force in Fandom and sorta just see this as one cohesive thing.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You can already start to see the seeds of that- there’s react videos of kids watching, say, TLJ from a couple years ago and clearly getting the movie better than many adults did.

7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I say this as one of the very people I’m going to talk about, but people take Star Wars WAY too seriously. No matter which era you start in, the trend seems to be that we all become WAY obsessed, love all the content that was out when we discovered Star Wars, then hate whatever comes in and steps on that contents toes. To me the ST was messy, sloppy, and barely fit in as canon.

but Star Wars canon is a mess. It’s all pretty ridiculous and doesn’t really operate on any form of real world logic. I know I certainly was ridiculous in my reactions to the new movies. I’m sure kids will really enjoy the new content.

8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The next generation will be just fine. When they grow up and gain a voice the chatter around the sequels will be more positive.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No doubt- plus there'll be the inevitable bridging material on D+ or in theaters at some point, so the ST won't seem so segregated or isolated from the other films & shows down the road. And that will definitely accelerate the perception of how integrated they all are and play as a whole.

10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    It's only a matter of time before the ST gets its own version of The Clone Wars to do all the heavy lifting and character arcs the films forgot to do. Just like the PT. And that show will probably end up just as amazing as the Clone Wars.

Xammer and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced of that.

Disney's total confidence while doing the ST and collapse of afterwards feels akin to how DR were during NJO and after.

It was thought NJO would get more explored due to the success of TUF, but it never happened.

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This is exactly right. The generation of fans that will grow up seeing the ST as "just part of the saga" will be no more bothered by the messy, disjointed nature of the ST than we are by the similarly messy and disjointed nature of the OT, or the PT. Star Wars films have two audiences - the kids for whom whatever the current movies or shows or whatever are "their" Star Wars, and the existing fans who always want new movies to be continuations of "their" Star Wars. Disney was canny enough to focus on the first audience, and trilogies to come will do so as well. That's the generational nature of the saga, and I think it behooves us as long time fans to remember that a little more than we do.

Gamma626 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

People underestimate the long term impact the ST is gonna have when the new generation of Star Wars fans finally take over...and hopefully they'll take over soon, although to be fair they kinda are right now.

And that's the generation Disney was smart enough to grab when the iron was hot.

They know that if they get them nice and young their theirs forever...It's how the company has survived for decades...It's kinda scary...Brilliant...But scary.

Thank goodness too....And hopefully that day will come sooner rather than later.

Oh defiantly...It might not happen right away but I think it's foolish to think it won't one day.

And that's why kids are smarter than adults. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2020
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    We'll get a Filoni led post-ST era animated show where Ahsoka shows up to mentor Rey and then, sooner or later, Disney will reach out to take the big, beautiful, powerfully engloved and robotic hand of Darth Vader and simply remake the OT.

[​IMG]

Tale as old as time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean I wouldn't mind both things to be quite honest.

And we joke but never say never when it comes to Ashoka, Baby Yoda and Old Ezra being part of Rey's Jedi council.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not joking at all.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Neither was I ;)

18. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    The Prequels have been rehabilitated, I think, with time. I don’t doubt at all that the ST will as well.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Truth...and I don't think the ST has much work to do on that front. The Sequels are genuinely popular, people like the characters more or less and the small things like the acting, special effects etc etc are pretty good.

They don't have much a hill to climb

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    any viewings (or reading the novel) after TROS I basically mentally slot in Snoke as literally the mouthpiece for Palpatine, especially in TLJ. The comics have really leaned into the "puppet Snoke" notion. Him trying the same apprentice kills the interlooper to make them more loyal trick that he tried on Luke and Vader. the cave mirror scene to me in the context of TROS reads pretty much as Rey seeing her Dyaid in the Force with Kylo (just eventually boils down to two figures and then merging into one). I've said this before but I totally believe that making Sidious the mega mastermind behind the ST sheenagians works really well. And if one is irritated that he survived, hey, he cheated into a busted up clone. It was the dark side and the result unnatural. He told is way back in Episode III. So TROS Palpatine is basically his final grasp at immortality and it only sorta worked. So he's only sorta Palpatine, the real deal died on the Death Star. This is his twisted and unnatural cheat attempt.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    PCCViking likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@BigAl6ft6

I will say that the latest source books written by Pablo Hidalgo do indicate that Snoke DOES have free will...So Snoke is more a proxy.

I mean it's semantics but Snoke is still his own person, Palpatine is just orchestrating events.

Just wanted to point that out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2020
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Didn't the TLJ sourcebook say Ach-To had twin suns? Because I think Luke's twin sun exit works way better as his Force vision.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yes and the novelization I think did too.

24. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    That scene seems to be related to a certain PT metaphor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In TLJ, those clouds go away. Unlike those PT clouds, they move. Luke is being hit by a sudden realization:

Luke gave those dice to Leia. I think he wanted to force skype her and Kylo. But Leia left them lying there, and Kylo and Rey were connected one last time. It passed through Luke, and he felt what that meant. That's why those twin suns were real, and also a vision, and also a memory (Luke and the dice disappeared simultaneously, I think)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Yeah, I'm not so sure of it myself. For one thing, the cultural landscape is very different now than in the early 2000s, and Star Wars squandered its massive return to the film stage and quickly found itself overshadowed by the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As well, I do think the nature of these films is a problem for that. The handling of women and minorities is something that's going to age really badly and is kinda inescapable as it overwhelms the narrative of the films. The finale of the trilogy, marketed as the end of the saga, was overshadowed by a puppet on a TV show and the finale to another long-running finale movie that was much better received at the box office and reviews. I just don't think it's there for this series. And that disappoints me, because I think it had a lot of potential at the outset but that they unfortunately shot themselves in the foot with their tunnel vision.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.