main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Equestrian/Horse Racing Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jun 8, 2014.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Tiz the Law with the Belmont win.

But the real exciting showing was Gamine with her record-setting run in the Acorn, wow!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Luke02 likes this.
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Horse racing is having a moment because of all team sports being MIA. You hope they can take advantage of it long term and become relevant again.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the Triple Crown has always been relevant. But yes I hope it draws more people in for sure.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Hard to say, given that the Kentucky Derby is the most well - known of the Triple Crown Races and with that and the Preakness pushed back to the fall, many people may not have realized the Belmont was still happening.

5. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I guess NBC is shoe-horning Steve Kornacki into anything they broadcast now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'll be at dinner until about 6:30 so I'm only gonna be back to my hotel just in time for post time. I am definitely getting a mint julep though.

7. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Impressive wire-to-wire win. Had to be one of the more closer finishes lately.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    medina spirit failed the post-derby drug test, and may have the win stripped. bob baffert and his horses have been indefinitely banned from churchill downs.

mandaloun, the horse that would win in the event of this DQ, is not running the preakness.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Baffert said he's fighting the drug test.

So I guess no Triple Crown this year either way, though.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Wow. That's pretty crazy about Baffert. I vaguely remember not long ago that the same thing happened with one of his horses during one of the Triple Crown races. He should probably call it a career by now.

I remember seeing him live once. I went to the final leg of American Pharoah's Triple Crown at Belmont several years ago and saw him walking towards his fancy car in the parking lot with his entourage.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    second positive drug test for medina spirit, kentucky derby win will be forfeited.

churchill downs has banned bob baffert and his stable from their races for two years.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Bob Baffert strikes again. Ban him for life

heels1785 and Princess_Tina like this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    wish there was a way to hit him even harder, send him to prison. he's clearly pumping these horses full of god knows what, extracting his money and trophies, and then watching them die "mysteriously" at a few years old. that is animal cruelty to an extreme.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I couldn't think of any other place to share this piece of solemn news.

RIP PIE-O-MY: TONY SOPRANO’S HORSE HAS ASCENDED TO THE BIG STABLE IN THE SKY

I vaguely remember the episode(s) involving Tony's beloved horse.
    One of his cohorts apparently decided to cash in on a large insurance policy he had on the horse, so he started a fire on the barn. This was Tony Soprano's beloved horse, mind you (the video below shows an ending scene where the horse was recovering from an illness).

I also vaguely remember what happened to that cohort. It's one of those things that in hindsight, if he had to do it over again.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
  17. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Buster Douglas basically just won the Kentucky Derby. Wow, that horse came from out of nowhere the last 100 yards.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    80-1 Shot. Wow. Unbelievable. And I remember Giacamo. I checked and it's the second biggest odds in the history of the derby for a winner.

19. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It was freaking incredible! It looked like all the favorites had a terrible start, then by the start of the back stretch, the favorites had gotten up to the front, and you are expecting one of them to make all the experts look smart...and then...

RICH STRIKE!

Awesome.

One of my rooting interests along with Crown Pride. Who doesn't love an underdog?

Rich Strike was dead last at the first turn. Which means in a race running at record pace, he worked his way through an entire field as they tired, and still had enough to overtake the best horses in the world at the end.

Not a sport that captures my attention often, but stories like these keep me coming back the first Saturday in May.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The one thing that this pretty much guarantees is that there will most certainly not be a Triple Crown this year. I mean hats off to the Derby Winner, but that would really be unprecedented if the horse sweeps all three legs as an underdog.

There was no super overwhelming favorite for the Derby anyhow. It was a couple of horses that were at close odds with each other; and those were the two that Rich Strike passed by in that final stretch.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So in advance of the Derby today, 2 horses were pulled out of their earlier races and euthanized. The favorite "Forte" was also scratched for the Derby. There are about 18 horses in the race today, and about half of them are owned by two families. Maybe there should be some sort of monopoly rule. I guess that's what made Secretariat's story so memorable; a single family without any significant racing experience produces the gold standard of horses for the Triple Crown.

Darth_Accipiter and Jedimarine like this.
  22. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Between the familiar owner collectives...the almost yearly suspensions for drugging horses...the suspension of familiar owner collectives for drugging horses...the off-track drama of horse racing can match any of the bile all major sports carry.

But for 2 minutes a year, I forget it all and love this sport.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  24. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    When did Fox get the rights to the Belmont? Well, I guess it's another sport for them to **** the broadcast of up.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's interesting that they're showing all of the minor races before the Stakes. Stinks for them that they couldn't have a potential Triple Crown running in their first broadcast.