main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Equilibrium

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth-Vassago, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    *I checked the index and didn't see a thread for this. To my knowledge, this is the poper place for such a thread*

This movie, released in 2002, starring Dominic Purcell, Christian Bale, Sean Bean, and Emily Watson was mostly seen as a "Matrix rip-off" when it was released. Many have not seen, or even heard of this movie as the film was not given a wide release. This is because it had already run into profit as a result of overseas sales, and the production company didn't want to risk turning a money maker into a loss. As a result, the release was limited.

This movie, to me, surpassed The Matrix because I found the story to be much better. The acting was also well done with Christian Bale as the lead. The supporting actors and actresses were great, as well. The fights in this movie, and the philosophical question asked are both brilliant.

Has anyone else seen this movie? If so, what're some thoughts on it? :)

~Vassago

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    It's not a Matrix ripoff, it's a Logan's Run rip off.

Some nice action sequences though.

3. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    I got this on DVD a few months ago and was saying "Holy ****!" 5 minutes in :D

4. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    This movie was better than the Matrix, great action scenes, and Batman was in it. I loved the ending.

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I really liked the opening scene as well. [face_dancing] It was a fun one to watch and took an interesting standpoint on basic story themes like the ones malkie mentioned. ;)

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And Boromir, let's not forget that Boromir & Robert the Bruce were in it too :p

Yes, this movie kicks loooong arse! I saw this movie (and then bought it) shortly before I found out that Bale had been cast in Batman Begins. I was stoked about BB from that moment on.

Loved the "gun fu" fighting!

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes, the Gun Kata was spectacular. I don't know if this is true or not since I stumbled upon it on IMDb. But apparently this movie has the highest body count of any "non-War" movie. Bateman is fantastic in this film. A friend of mine got it off Netflix about a year ago and introduced it to me. I've been hooked ever since and have shown it to several people. Every person has loved it.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A little slow at times but this movie really surprised me quite a bit. Awesome little flick ::)

9. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's really more a very, very loose (and uncredited) adaptation of 1984, with "Father" instead of "Big Brother," and "sense offense" instead of "thoughtcrime."

I thought it was alright, though I was really disappointed in the gun kata stuff. There was so much more that could have been done with it, but apparently the director made it up himself in his backyard.

I think the guy tried really hard to direct it like "The Matrix", hence the comparisons, but storywise they're really very different.

M. Scott

10. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it looked like 1984 ripoff to me. just not very visually inventive.
    nd the other thing about watching people who have to deliberately show no emotion... it can be boring.

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Oh there is definetly emotion there. It is very subtle. I think Bale did an excellent job of showing what his character is feeling, without showing it. I especially love the final shot of the movie when he finally smiles the tiniest of smiles and gives his little smirk. Very cool.

12. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    I personally think there was too much emotion from the people supposed to be portraying non-feeling people. Particularly Taye Diggs. Way too much smug glee in that guy.

M. Scott

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I was under the impression that "Father" and the Taye Diggs character were actually feeling throughout the movie. We never actually see the Taye Diggs character dose throughout the movie, I believe. At the end, we realize that "Father" has actually been feeling all along, and it is actually obvious mid-way through the movie, when he gets angry at Preston (Bale), slamming his fist on the desk. This, however, is just my understanding. I could be off.

~Vassago

14. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, "Father" tells Preston as much right before Preston kills him, thinking that perhaps he'll be unable to hurt someone else who feels. Diggs' character I don't recall seeing dosing, but if it was that he was supposed to be feeling, that wasn't clear.

M. Scott

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    That's true, it wasn't. It's mostly speculation on my part, but I did get the feeling that he hadn't been dosing due to the fact that he wasn't always calm, cool, and collected like everyone else who was dosing. When he arrested Preston, he grinned and looked quite smug. Also, when he was announcing that he had found the traitor, he was shouting, and again, seemed very prideful.

~Vassago

16. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I liked it. It had an interesting story and the fight scenes were great.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My nephew had told me about Equilibrium. Saying ti was only an okay movie, but as he could almost see the 'clerics' as Jedi with guns.

Curiosity intrigued, I rented it. I found myself loving the movie. The actors in it may have helped. I've a soft spot for Sean Bean and I thought the boy who played Bale's son was great as I never saw that he was not what he seemed to be. I also enjoyed the idea of the gun katas and found it just a splendidly enjoyable fic. One I had to buy to watch over and over. :D :D

18. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    In the commentary the Clerics are every reffered to as "Jedi Knights" in the opening. I believe the director says it, though he does speak raterh quickly when saying it. I had to listen for it a couple of times.

~Vassago

19. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    I enjoyed it enough to buy it. It gets a little... well, bad at times, but the action sequences are amazing. Puts anything in The Matrix to shame. :D

20. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I hated that movie. By far one of the most over rated "cult" films of all time IMO.

Everything about it was unoriginal and just plain ridiculous. It was one of those movies that I had heard good stuff about (it was a blurb on Ebert and Roper that actually got me interested) but in the end it left me unimpressed.

Edit: Off topic but the trailer for the director's anticipated follow up, Ultraviolet, was released with U:E. I've been looking forward to seeing something of it in action but I found that to be disapointing as well. Though still interesting enough to see in theaters.

21. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    I loved it the first time I saw it. The human brain is a really amazing thing. It will fill in details for you, even if they were never there. Details like, amazing action scenes, breathtaking gun battles, and amazing visuals.

However the second time I watched it, what's this? Where are all those shots I remember? All of the sweet kendo scenes were all shot with an out of phase shutter angle, and were spliced together from ten million separate takes. The breathtaking gunbattles? Blinding strobelights make these these scenes impossible to partake of. The only highlight of the movie is the scene at the end, with the knife/gun fight. I liked that, and I like it still.

This movie had, and still does have, huge potential. As long as you see it only once, and let your imagination take over the rest, you'll love it too.

22. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    That may be true. I had to watch it three times to make it all the way through so that may be why I didn't fall in love with it like so many others.

23. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Also, he mentions that might need to have his dose adjusted.

24. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    I know it's stupid to think someone could erase emotion all together. I know the sets and the cynematography was dreadful. I know the dialogues were horrid some times. I know the romantic plot was totally pointless.

And yet, I love this movie to bits!
    I love every little idiosincratic thing about it. But by far, the thing I love most is the puppy! I'm not a girly girl. I'm not into puppies, and kittens and stuff like that. But the puppy and bale with the puppy just.killed.me!

25. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I loved this movie. To me, it signifies the next step in philosophical-action movies, which were begun by The Matrix. I hope to see more movies like it, fusing philosophy and thought with violence and action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.