main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Era's of the Legend's EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Mar 16, 2019.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Entertainment.

PCCViking likes this.
  2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Hey, I'm still new to this whole being more-than-a-casual Trek fan thing. I've been slowly discovering the fandom's secrets over the past few months, like that The Motion Picture is great.

I mean... for years I've heard the party line that TMP is crap and that Trek movies don't begin until Wrath of Khan, but I watched The Motion Picture a few months ago and liked it a lot. That it's actually great must be some closely-guarded secret that the fandom uses to keep people out? I dunno.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm actually only very casually familair with Trek's books, so your statement earlier may not have felt right, but I couldn't cite counter examples off the top of my head. So, I let it go until you began your self-punishment. ;)

I wouldn't say TMP is great but it's better than it's reputation implies (well, not "the motionless picture" reputation, the film does have a lot of pacing problems). Being based on a 2-part TV episode script lends it some structural problems in the first half where it feels like it's killing time. But it is the most cerebral and "journey"-like Trek film and has a nice "Star Trek meets 1970's NASA" vibe to it.

Plus it has the grand drydock sequence- made even better in The Director's Edition by the small detail of the reflection added to this reaction shot of Kirk's:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Jeff_Ferguson and Iron_lord like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Wait until you discover that the famous "even numbered movies are good, odd numbered movies are bad" thing is a load of malarkey. Also, if you haven't already done so check out the TMP novelization (supposedly written by Roddenberry himself) one of these days. It's a trip.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's true prior to the JJverse. Though, i would characterize it as "even numbered films are the best, the odd numbered ones are mixed-to-bad". TWOK, TVH, TUC & FC are all highlights of the franchise. TMP, TSFS & GEN are mixed but have some really good parts. TFF & INS are just awful. NEM is more debateable (it's not as good as the others but nowhere near as bad as TFF or INS and has better pacing and action than TMP or TSFS) and thus may break the pattern depending on which half of the debate you fall into.

JJverse is kinda the reverse, with 11 & 13 being stronger than 12's mixed state.

Dr. Steve Brule and vncredleader like this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I think that being based on a TV script is actually a strength for TMP --- it may be why it really feels like an actual Trek movie down to its core. Like, Wrath of Khan is a great Star Wars movie, but The Motion Picture is a great Star Trek movie. The final encounter with V'Ger, done on a cinematic budget, was breathtaking. It felt like seeing an excellent episode of The Original Series done the way Roddenberry had always envisioned it being done. And I didn't think there were bad pacing problems either; the slow build in the first half allowed the Trekverse to really come alive on the big screen for the first time without rushing into things. That drydock sequence with the TNG theme playing... magnificent.

As for the odd/even thing: it largely has merit. Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home are fantastic. Search For Spock and The Final Frontier are... not. Not terrible but kinda middling. Undiscovered Country is pretty good. Generations, which I watched a few weeks ago, was a little better than it was when I watched it on TV in 2005 but still pretty blegh. It was an average episode of TNG with Kirk awkwardly stuck on at the end, and honestly was probably only "a little better" because I was familiar with the Klingon sisters this time around and their subplot felt less random. First Contact was top-class. Haven't watched the last two TNG films yet but know of their reputations.

Some axioms about the franchise are true, after all --- the first seasons of TNG and DS9 are, in fact, pretty bad. I've been checking the latter out recently and ah man I really just want to skip to the Dominion War already.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, but there are a couple gems in there sometimes (Conspiracy in TNG S1, Duet in DS9 Season ).

It is interesting that both TMP and Generations echo their respective series the best, likely because both were initially developed for TV in some form (Phase II pilot for TMP, alternate TNG series finale for GEN). Though TMP is far more somber than TOS was. Also kinda funny that TFF tried to capture that same approach (even with a very split-structure, 2-parter-like vibe like TMP) and... kinda, maybe, got a quarter of the way there before totally falling apart...

8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    The Motion Picture is the very first Star Trek product I ever saw, as a kid (largely because I'd just discovered Star Wars and gone wild over it, and now wanted to see the other big franchise with "Star" in the title). I also was a big fan, and it led me to discover the other movies, and later the rest of the franchise. It's not the best of the movies, but it's really a perfectly good one as far as I'm concerned.

It may help that I saw it without having seen 2001: A Space Odyssey (which I still haven't seen, in fact). Some of the criticism of TMP I've heard is that it's too similar to that movie while being less good.

9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I don't know.

Among other things, The Wrath of Khan is a fairly pointed deconstruction of the superman concept (in the person of Khan) and almost as much of the Lone Individualist Hero Who Plays By His Own Rules concept (in the person of Kirk), and an ode to the virtues of bureaucracy, regulations, and boring old training and experience. That's already pretty unusual for Star Trek, but it feels really un-Star-Wars-ish.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I dunno if it's an ode to regulations and training when Kirk's maverick reprogramming the Kobayashi Maru is celebrated, and when his reasoning behind doing so goes on to help him win the day in the end. But I just meant that it was a movie with a scary villain that uses a space battle as a climax, really. It doesn't feel un-Trek at all. I was just positing that The Motion Picture is the most Trek of the Trek films.

And yeah, Conspiracy was good. I haven't been watching every episode --- been doing about ten or twelve eps. per season --- and it was the highlight of what I saw of Season 1.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd argue that Motion Picture, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, the entire TNG run, and Beyond are the Star Trek movies that feel the most like actual Star Trek... both in a good way (TMP, Voyager Home, First Contact, Beyond) and bad (the rest).

I know Ron Moore has said he thought that Yesterday's Enterprise should have been the first TNG movie instead of Generations, but I just don't see how that would have worked. Especially as, being an episode, it works very well in that format and context already.

This may be controversial but I think the last season of Enterprise was actually very solid and I really wish it had gotten a fifth season because some of the stuff I've read for what was planned (assuming it was actually true) seems like it would have been a lot of fun. Especially more Mirror Universe-exclusive episodes.

xezene likes this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Weren't they planning on making Jeffrey Comb's character a regular if that had happened?

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This was a interesting video detailing the various Authors who shaped EU Legends