main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Errant Venture - book club discussion/info

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    The Rebulic Commando books add so much more to Travis' books in the current series.

Also, I've just read that SW.com has an exerpt from the fourth book, titled Order 66.

2. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    So, I totally spaced out, and forgot that we moved book club up last month. But I'm planning on coming to the next one. I just found today that Del Ray is offering a free download Betrayal in pdf, Audiobook, and ebook formats. I actually already have the book, but I think the audio might be nice to tuck away on the harddrive. But, it just goes untilMidnight, May 15 Anyway... Betrayal.

3. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    whoa, thanks for the link, downloading audio file now.

4. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Invincible was released today and there's a Millenium Falcon book coming out in Dec. by James Luceno....for some reason I'm more worried than excited....

5. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I still haven't finished the 8th book yet! look at what school does to you.

6. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Just a bit of advance warning... there is an author signing scheduled at the Schaumburg B&N at 2pm on Saturday, so we'll need to be more subdued than we normally are. :)

7. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    So I just finished Invincible. I'm not sure if I rushed through the book (since it usually takes me 3-4 weeks to read a book) or if the book was rushed in itself, but I finished it in 5 days, and I'm kind of like...ehh. I won't spoil anything, but I was not very impressed (I have some problems with things), and I'm not sure how I like the way they are going with things for the "future" of the EU.

8. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I have stayed away from Invincible, just because of bookclub, it's too hard to not talk about spoilers. But there is plenty of fun stuff in Revelation, can't wait.

9. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Chicago force doesnt do subdued. I plan on showing up late as usual, but it is only because i am way behind on my reading.

10. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Just a quick note, that I will miss the next book club on June 21,
    but hope to make the July 26-th one:)

11. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    In case you haven't caught on from the annoucement about the July book, this summer will be the "X-Wing Summer." We will be going through the second thru fourth X-Wing books. Why not the first? We did read that already, a long time ago.

12. doc4converse

doc4converse Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    looking forward to seeing everyone on June 21...I started reading the first book of Young Jedi Knights now that I have finished Invincible...

13. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    If you haven't read the first X-Wing book, you're missing out on the start of a great series... so read that one and the second one by the July meeting! :D They're good, quick reads, and you should be able to get through them both. Then come join us in Schaumburg! :D

14. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    So, I totally spaced out, and didn't know when book club was?again. I haven't checked here lately. But I'm planning on coming to the next one. I just bought the first two X-Wing books online, and I'm all ready to read them. I thought that I would however write up a little on Invincible, because I had a lot to say, and post it. Hope everyone's doing well.

'Invincible' was not a great book. Which is so disappointing because it had so much potential. Both as inheritor of a fascinating plot-line that Legacy has laid down, and by having a good first half. Early on the period of time between each chapter is huge. It runs more like a sitcom: characters end a chapter talking about a future event and a page break later we're at that event. What excited me about this format is that it seemed more like the movies. There is a spareness in relating the story in the beginning of this book that coincides with the economy of run-length in the movies. It also?not coincidentally?makes the narrative run quickly, and feel poppy, even though going through the often humdrum chore of establishing the plot.

Coming off the high of Karen Travis' near-perfect 'Revelation,' the scene was set for the final battle with Caedus. Jania's brief time with the Mandalorians, and her search for the strength to hunt her brother were foreboding. It's with a heavy heart that we leave Jainia at the end of that book. Wiser?somehow?but dolefully resigned to the fact that whether she has to kill her brother or not, she must be prepared to. With Ben and Luke's relationship finally repaired, and Ben's ascension to knighthood the Skywalker legacy finally has a firm footing. It's sad though, because the Solo epoch is closing. With both male children dead, the heroic Solo name has died as well.

The plot threads develop, Jania reconciles herself with the Council and Zekk and Jag, steeling herself for the hunt. Caedus solidifies his ties with the Empire and begins to flex his Sith muscles in influencing or manipulating them. It's interesting when Caedus shows shows glimmers of Sidious' tactical genius. It really sells this Sith resurgence in the post-NJO era. Caedus' bolstering of the Empire is also exciting, because?at the beginning of the book?it seems to be setting up the much stronger New Empire of the Legacy comic series. Along with the hidden Sith cabal on Korriban it seems like the 'sensible' universe of the novels, and the bat**** insane universe of the Legacy comics is slowly bridging together.

Jaina's first assault on Caedus while aboard the Anakin Solo above Nickel One was an interesting plot choice. And while definitely not completely pointless I mark this as the part of the book where things start falling apart. It's clear that neither of them will be killed in this conflict. It's in the beginning of the second act. The intelligence that it supplies the Jedi (read: good guys) with is inconsequential. What we get from the conflict is two-fold. It exhibit's Caedus' breadth of force knowledge through the blood-trace, which also set's up his discovery of the Jedi Base later on, and Jaina lops off an arm, which eases her eventual task of killing him. My problem with these out-of-universe, structural reasons is that it represents a drastic switch from previous novels in the series from the expounding of a long-term narrative, and good deep character development. Jaina and Caedus are static characters in this conflict and so there's nothing to be gained by it.

Here the speed at which the book is taking place is becoming a detriment. It, coupled with the increasingly obvious structural justifications, make the book a chore. Denning rushes through tying up the plot threads that the series has laid down as efficiently as possible. "I've got a series to finish," he seems to say "Out of my way, affective narrative."

The development of Ben's plot comes as a respite, though tainted. The development of Ben's character throughout this series has been paramount?and that's a good thing. He's come a long way since being a creepy toddler-joiner.

15. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Are the Coruscant Nights books on the future book club schedule?

16. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    yes, sorry I can't remember when, but yes.

17. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I did not start reading this series until the last book came out...
    so far I am up to just beginning Sacrifice...

it is an interesting story....

18. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Isn't it an interesting series? I appreciate Lucasbook's bringing the more serious tone from the Clone Wars books back into the other end of the timeline. Especially with Karen Traviss. And Sacrifice is a great book. Maybe her best Star Wars book to date.

19. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I will not be at book club this week due to a wedding. I hope to make the next one.

20. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    Forgot to mention, I am going to Deep River Waterpark this Sat. (It's simply splashtasic) so won't be able to discuss the book. Please let me know if etheric rudders come up. :)

21. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a Karen Traviss interview at the Random House website. Among the tidbits are news that the Republic Commando novels will continue in a new Imperial Commando series and that she's writing a Boba Fett book.

Meanwhile, at San Diego Comic-Con, there was a Mandalorian wedding.

Phil

22. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
  23. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I deeply regret not being able to attend book club for the discussion on the "Legacy of the Force" series...

I am reading "Fury" now...
    and it is hard to put these books down..

24. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Would anyone be up for seeing The Dark Knight at Navy Pier IMAX after book club (7:00 P.M. as 4:00 P.M. wouldn't allow time to eat)? I've been meaning to see it a second time on IMAX. I notice that tickets for the next 7-day period go up for sale every Monday morning. Thus, ticket for August 18 to 24 should go on sale the morning of Monday, August 11. The theater has assigned seating, so buying early ensures we might sit together.

Phil

25. Rogue4809

Rogue4809 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    I would join you. I want to see it on IMAX anyway.