main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT ESB dark side cave. Provenance? Origins? Yoda strategy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hernalt, Nov 25, 2020.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Dark Side is Bob from Twin Peaks. Yoda is the Man from Another Place.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  2. Captain_Cosmos

Captain_Cosmos Jedi Master star 1

Jun 1, 2011
    Well, it wasn't explained in any of the PT or OT movies, so are we saying that we're going by the Disney fan fiction? Am I right that you put more weight on that load of tripe than you do the old EU?

3. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Yes, and that's the part that makes it stupid. TPM tells us that Space Magic has a will of its own and it talks to medichlorians living in your cells and then the medichlorians tell you what the space magic wants. Also, you can measure how strong space magic is within a person because they'll have more medichlorians.

Making the force hereditary isn't a bad idea and was even hinted at in the ANH novelization. But medichlorians are a completely different animal. There's still some mystery surrounding hereditary traits and whether or not certain skills can be passed down from one generation to the next. With medichlorians, there's no mystery. A simple blood test is all you need. The force is supposed to be space magic, not quantifiable.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Darth Chuck Norris and Sarge like this.
  4. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    Episode 5 is the first time we see the Dark Side personified by itself is what I should have said earlier. Was there a snake creature when Luke entered the cave? I thought I saw one. I have to watch the scene again.

Edit

It turns out there was more than one serpent and snake like creature in that scene. This seems to validate my theory that Satan is the big bad of Star Wars.

5. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    I sure preferred it when The Force was just an analogy for Buddhism and spiritual auras, rather than all this bland medical rubbish. I really wish we could change time and make it so Kurtz stayed in charge and it was Lucas who walked! :(

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  6. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    It's like when Lennon and McCartney split. Neither really made music the same way again and there was a certain magic that just ... disappeared.

7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Clearly not, based on what Lucas put in his films. The fact that you think something should be a certain way doesn't mean it IS that way.

Anyway, personally I don't see any contradiction between the mystical and the biological aspects of the Force. It's still a mysterious power connected to your blood.

(And Kurtz was never in charge, so he couldn't have "stayed" in charge anyway, but... that's another debate! :))

8. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Just because Lucas decides to put something in his movie doesn't mean it's not dumb. Being an auteur doesn't shield a person from criticism.

Plus, there isn't one single mention of force bacteria before the late nineties so clearly Lucas changed his idea anyway. ...kind of like giving Yoda a lightsaber ...and having Anakin build Threepio ...and Yoda and Chewbacca being old buddies ...and Anakin being space Jesus.

9. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    Anakin never was a Christ figure in my opinion. Anakin is simply a prophet that restored balance by fatally wounding the Antichrist Palpatine after rejecting the Dark Side's demonic influence which could have originated from the cave as well as Exegol even though Antichrist Palpatine still lived.

10. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    He was co-creator, although I realise that Lucas likes to think that he wrote everything, filmed everything, did all the editing, did all the design work, composed all the music, made all the props, did all the sound and visual effects etc. :rolleyes:

11. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    I think we got Ringo Starr, or even worse, a Blue Meanie! :eek:

12. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Well, whatever you want to call a person who is born from an immaculate conception. I would never refer to Anakin as Christ-like either, so that was a bad choice of words on my part.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  13. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    You're really not far off calling Anakin space Jesus, though. Both were born of immaculate conception and brought about to essentially restore balance. Yes, I know I'm oversimplifying it, but I don't really feel like going into a long diatribe about it.

14. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I've always wondered if the stone frame / hallway we see Vader emerge from was actually part of the vision, or if it physically existed in the cave / tree.

15. its Dark Empire spoilers

16. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I always assumed the cave itself was naturally forming, but the force would make it seem like a location a person was familiar with (or would be familiar with since Luke is getting visions of the future).

[​IMG]

BlackRanger and christophero30 like this.
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I never caught that

18. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I never caught it until the OT came out on dvd. It's near impossible to make out the details of that cave with a pan and scan VHS tape.

christophero30 likes this.
  19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    It still is an analogy for Buddhism and spiritual auras. The midichlorians simply serve as a symbiosis between the Force and living beings. The Force is still shrouded in mystery. TPM makes that perfectly clear.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  20. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Yes, and that's the part that people take issue with. We're allowed to not like things.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes. And people are allowed to argue and refute your claims.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And people are allowed to disagree with refutations.

23. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    We're also allowed to say we don't like something simply because we don't like it. Expecting a dissertation for every grievance someone has with a movie is laughable.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Or not being labeled a hater just because you don't care for a specific thing.

Sarge and FightoftheForgotten like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Why do you say that? Explain your position to me, in detail. I'm expecting a 5000 word essay with footnotes, references, and citations (none from Wikipedia). Now.