main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The site of Michael Caine putting on the Brutus mascot head (first mascot Lee ever put on) after making his pick at the end of College Gameday would be literally the greatest thing ever. Literally. The universe could end at that moment since there will be no greater moment then that. :p

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Ah, I've actually seen some of her show she had on FS1. Not great, but obnoxiously bad, either. I knew ESPN had been after her for awhile and she'd trashed Fox recently, so this isn't much of a surprise.

It's possible they bring her on to replace Beedle on SportsNation given that Beedle will likely be full time on the NBA countdown beat this season.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316

I think Nolan will want a bigger role then that since she had her own show on FS1. She fashions herself to be the next Bill Simmons (both Boston nuts) minus the 30 for 30's which outside of College GameDay and live sports is the only reason to watch ESPN now.

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think she shoves Boston down your throat half as much as Bill-- which I know b/c I could stomach listening to her podcast.

Her biggest value is knowing the internet. Young people are consuming sports via streaming/watching clips on YouTube/etc. at a MUCH higher clip than cable. ESPN can't even get their damn Xbox app to work.

Also please let her interview guys like Greg Hardy, Frank Clark, etc.

tom likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Just watched a gut - punching segment on SportsCenter on Marty Schottenheimer battling Alzheimer's.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Horrible news. That disease takes away your dignity.

Best head coach to never make it to a Super Bowl? I think Marty regrettably has that title. Such a great coach just his teams folded in the playoffs for whatever reason.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sadly,seeing the effects first hand in my profession, that's the truth.

Luke02 likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  9. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I have no love for either either Trump or Jerry Jones. But if she was asked by ESPN not to do this again, then they're kind of left with no other choice.

yankee8255, Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    dp4m

The Six will be Katie Nolan's slot sooner then later. ESPN knows this and so does Hill. This wasn't a hard call for ESPN especially they have share a couple sponsors with the Cowboys. I might agree with Hill on quite a number of things but I do not enjoy bomb throwers on either side and this was bomb throwing for bomb throwing sake. ESPN defended her the first time but that wasn't Trump. This is entirely differently subject. If anything she should went after Mike Pence's political stunt yesterday and asked why wasting 400k is okay on government time?

DAR

Yeah that was pretty much a slam dunk for ESPN. Again I wonder if there are some things going on behind the scenes we don't know. Hill must be feeling the heat and wonder if she is looking for an exit as well.

Juliet316 and DAR like this.
  11. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
    It seems like she wants out.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Huh, Michael Smith wasn't on tonight's ESPN 6 pm tonight either... wonder why? :p

heels1785 likes this.
  13. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    But Katie basically made her career with viral pieces dressing down Greg Hardy, the NFL's response to Ray Rice, and that crap about finding a husband at the Master's (that was posted by her own network!)

So they'd be replacing Hill with her b/c Hill is...speaking out about social issues in sports? aka doing what Katie does best?

Hope the end result isn't Katie toeing the party line to stay on ESPN but instead that ESPN realizes they didn't just hire a pretty face.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Smith back on ESPN on The Six tonight. Seemingly alone?

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
  17. DAR

Jul 8, 2004
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I made the mistake of having ESPN in the background last night and listening to that mess.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

katie nolan and papi together > the rest of espn

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    there's a lot of noise about espn and a "barstool sports" collaborating on a late night show, and then today cancelling it.

i breathe sports and have not once heard of barstool sports. it appears that they are popular with a niche, like deadspin? are they more prevalent with a certain fanbase or geographic area that i may not fit in?

the first and only thing i saw today was a clip of one of the hosts trashing sam ponder, implying that she couldn't somehow measure up to chris berman on the nfl countdown show. which, as total bat-**** nonsense, may not be the best representation of their journalism?

anyway, people who know things about barstool sports. share your thoughts.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought they were some sort of podcast/website or something like that.

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I only know about them from passing references on Twitter. never caught my attention.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    perhaps they went by a different name?

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    From my understanding Barstool Sports is pretty awful. However they do employ PFTCommenter who is hilarious and is a parody of the typical people who comment on sports message boards (hence his pseudonym)

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    upon further examination, it's a boston thing, which explains absolutely everything. especially the being awful part.