main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I watched very little this year, but Corso needs to go -- he looked terrible without anyone near him, and I can't imagine him getting any better at this point...

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah, he's needed herbie next to him for a few years now to look after him. i like corso, and he certainly gave that show legitimacy in its infancy, but espn has so many talented cfb analysts who may deserve that spot more at this point.

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    He has one of the great moments in Gameday history, if only for Herbie's reaction:

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Lee's health is not the best which is one of the many reasons why he has been working remotely this entire year. At this point Lee is just there to be the show's mascot and do his picks which again he misses Herbie with since they played so well off each other. That was good @Guidman but the best moments Corso doing picks is when they gave him a gun(s) to shoot off:

The sheer look of terror from everyone on set down is priceless.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i'm pretty sure he fired guns inside the cotton bowl for the red river rivalry before, when their set was out on the field in a packed stadium. it might have been the first time before the gimmick started, i remember fowler and herbie looking legitimately freaked out. know they're firing blanks, but i always found it kind of unnecessary in this day and age.

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Big Noon Kickoff > GameDay. Rinaldi will be a welcome addition.

Hope he gets even more reign to do his storytelling.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Doesn't Corso always pick the opposing team from wherever they hold College Gameday to get the fans riled up and start booing him? That was always good fun to see. I don't watch a whole lot of college football nowadays, so I don't know if he still does that.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Seeing the Master ads already on ESPN is throwing me off since the Masters was only a month and a half ago plus they normally don't run these to later in the year. Now I got three of the most miserable months here (Chicago) to get thru until we hit the Masters (and by association Easter which this year is earlier then the Masters) which to me marks the end of winter.

And I am already missing Tom Rinaldi's reports on the Masters!

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Not directly ESPN related but NBCSN is shutting down at the end of the year. Some of the properties are moving over to USA Network (hopefully they still cover the Tour de France completely). It'll be interesting to see how NBC shifts some Olympic coverage, starting with the Winter ones next year, since that's one of the main channels they use to provide coverage.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    peacock. i would not at all be surprised if this happens to ESPNNEWS and ESPNU soon, too. FS2, when fox gets a standalone sports streaming platform, which they will, and then they'll link it up with hbomax and the fox news nation bull**** one, like disney has done with hulu/espn+/disney+.

it sucks.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Just caught an ESPN piece on Brady that they had reporter Jeff Darlington voice over. If you need anymore proof that they should have done everything they could to keep Tom Rinaldi...

On a sadder note, RIP Pedro Gomez.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    My guess @Guidman they will just throw it all on the Peacock Network like @heels1785 which is a good and a bad thing. Maybe they will move some of the coverage for the Olympics and even the Tour De France to CNBC at least at night since well I do not see how it cannot get lower ratings then reruns of Shark Tank and other shows along with the USA Network. But by and large they will move it all to the Peacock Network which is a good and a bad thing. If they have everything on it that would be a good buy for one month if you don't normally subscribe to it. Just do a one month subscription for the Olympics so you can watch everything and then cancel it.

If that were to happen @heels1785 you will see the cable cutting increase tenfold. I must admit I absolutely love streaming channels. Even the Peacock Network which is terrible (though should be better in a few months with WWE going there) I still enjoy. If they bundle it all up at a decent price like the Disney+ package is I would not be terribly upset with that. It's just all of these single offs getting their own streaming service like AMC+ and Discovery+ that are the killers for me. Certainly it's going to be the way of the future though especially since younger generations don't even watch "TV" as they simply stream everything. I guess you have to adapt to it even though the market is already oversaturated. Again I love streaming channels so I guess I am part of the problem. :)

And I read that @Juliet316 this morning which nearly fell over. That is just so sad. RIP Pedro!

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i remember when gomez was essentially espn's giants beat guy, during bonds' run for the hr record. was on sportscenter nearly every night.

way too young to go.

Darth_Nabb, Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm not one to usually defend Pierce, but no goddamn way he should have been fired for that. Nothing illegal was going on, and are ESPN/Disney that naive to not expect some adults to have interests of that nature? Please.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I agree. He didn't do anything illegal. I think a brief "vacation" letting the story die down and having him return would been more then sufficient. It's crazy to think ESPN did this to appease the MAGA crowd more then anything else...the same crowd which is saying "shut up and dribble" and at the same time yapping about their continued "boycott" of it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    just watched it. i'm not sure it was bad enough to be fired ., but Also don't know why he felt the need to post that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    ESPN - I remember the glory days of when the network was concerned 100% with just sports. They had colorful characters(Berman's PrimeTime NFL team with the nick-names), great side-shows & a nice balance of coverage. Then....ummmm...... yeah. They got CNN disease and couldnt cure it. Oh well. Now that pro sports is also heading into Cancel/political territory, I think for me its safe to skip most of it these days. Ill still watch the NHL playoffs and a few NBA playoff games but my interest level is waning.

Bring back Berman, Tommy J and the gang & do the great shows like they used to please.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    ESPN is hemorrhaging revenue. You have to be smart and not give them a reason to terminate your contract.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe he was fired for how weird and sad of a party it was

22. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    The downfall of ESPN is quite a stunning development. I remember when it was all the rage that a Hollywood film version magnificent oral history Those Guys Have All The Fun was in development. Then BLM, Trump, and cord cutting happened and roughly a half decade later, ESPN is practically irrelevant.

23. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    Definitely remember that. Who were some other ESPN personalities that were practically team-specific? Two others I can think of for sure are Ed Werder with the Cowboys and Sal Paolantonio with the Eagles, but I know there were quite a few others.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    there were a lot of good ones. shelley smith with the lakers is another i remember.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I mean for the most part NBA Countdown has been a dumpster fire/revolving door every two-three years for the past decade. I'm sure Pierce's tenure was near the end regardless of whatever the hell that Instagram thing was.