main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    So, I was checking out the Pens' "clubhouse" on ESPN.com today, and the lead video was "Kaman Scores 20 As Clippers Roll, 92-78". Whoops, wrong sport. [face_whistling]

But, at least they have Mike & Mike in the Morning to make up for their mistakes.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh] Still on there, too :p

I'd like to know what a 92-78 hockey game looks like :p 8-}

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    That's a goal every 21 seconds. Considering they stop the clock after every goal...it would be a long one.

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I think that every single player would have to play goalie and get yanked with that score. :p

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    No, I think there would have to be no goalies at all :p

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
  7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Andy Katz tweeted than he and SI's Seth Davis were collegues today. :oops:

Having similar jobs /=/ being colleagues. Go ESPN! [face_flag]:p

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Now, Skip Bayless and one of the Stu's from ESPN2's First Take are saying that last night's Team USA win over Team Canada was almost as impressive as the Miracle on Ice. :oops:

All of Team USA plays in the NHL. Some have been all stars before. Some have won Stanley Cups before. Yes, it was against Canada on Canadian soil, but it wasn't anything like a bunch of college kids taking down the Soviet hockey machine.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I quit paying attention to Skip Bayless a long time ago. Except occasionally when I want to laugh at someone.

(of course, I'm virtually never at home when First Take is on anymore, so I don't have to worry about him)

But as to the topic... sure, nice win, upset, yeah... Miracle on Ice? Even I know its not even close.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, I generally try to avoid Skip Bayless when at all possible. I got up a little late this morning, and watched the last few minutes of Mike & Mike and the first few minutes of First and 10. Poor choice. :p

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Skip's a Dip.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    these kinds of talking head shows are ridiculous (though i do like pti), but these people pretty much get paid to say controversial, wrongheaded things. not many people would watch if they just repeated the conventional wisdom all the time.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Like I've said before, I (generally) love the sports that ESPN's family of networks carry. But their commentary often times leaves much to be desired.

I think that PTI and Mike & Mike generally do the best job. I do like watching Around the Horn from time to time, though. They're not as bad as some of the other commentatories.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I enjoyed first and 10 when Woody was part of it. Sure, he's crazy and sometimes obnoxious, but he can be hilarious, too. And I tend to agree with his points far more than Skip Bayless', as well.

Now, though? Not so much. I like Mike&Mike, AtH, and PTI, but thats about it. Well, SportsCenter, but that's a different kind of thing entirely, obviously :p And SportsNation? [face_sick]

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the people they get on around the horn tend to have a sense of humor and a sense of humility, which goes a long way. that guy on sportsnation makes me want to throw things at my tv.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Colin Cowherd is probably #1 on my list of ESPN people I can't stand.

The Around the Horn people definitely have a sense of humor. Except for Mariotti, that is :p

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    When it comes to opinion related shows on ESPN, it's PTI, then everyone else. I would go crazy without my PTI podcasts during my lunch breaks at Wally World.:p

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Unfortunately, I've watched SportsNation a couple times. [face_sick] That show is terrible.

Mariotti isn't that bad. He's light years better than Skip, and you can still laugh at him sometimes. :p

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You can laugh at Skip. Just not with him. Same goes for Mariotti.

Cowherd? I don't think I've ever laughed at him, just had lots of "what is he smoking" and [face_sick] moments. Used to hear him on the radio a lot in the morning - glad I don't have to listen to that anymore.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Unlocking and upping for relevance, including this quote from Tunick:

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Glad to see this thread up and running again. :D

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't know that it's a good thing, given that stuff in here is generally worth of the :oops: face... but since ESPN isn't likely to get any less stupid from time to time, it deserves to be upped :p

Well, I take that back. There's the absence of Mariotti to consider... but that still isn't sufficient to thwart the rest of ESPN.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    ESPN is able to generate it's own stupidity without Mariotti. No doubts about it.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Speaking of Mariotti, exactly what is his status? I know about his arrest, but has that affected his job with his paper and ESPN? Obviously he's at least taking a sabbatical from Around the Horn, but I haven't really heard or seen any more than that.