main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU Designs Appearing On-Screen

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ewoklord, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    We've been pretty blessed as fans of the EU for on-screen appearances of EU designs/concepts. Ossus in Book of Boba Fett, Falleen in Obi-Wan Kenobi, Hammerheads in Rogue One, Dark Troopers in The Mandalorian and that's just in live-action! In animation we've seen Korriban, Z-95s, the Black Sun!

It's so fascinating seeing how the designs translate to different mediums, what works better on page and what works better on-screen, and I thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss that!

Also, there's plenty of wonderful EU planets, species, and ships that haven't made the jump to screen yet, and I have a lot of fun trying to think of the ones I'd most want to see.

I think the planet I'd most likely to see is Korriban in live-action. Maybe The Acolyte? As far as designs go, I'd love to see the three-pronged space station from the X-Wing games make an appearance in live-action (we recently saw them over Hosnian Prime in Squadrons).

2. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    In terms of EU species, there's been quite a number that have showed up on-screen. A lot of them were identified in the visual dictionaries.

I made a quick list...
    Rebels: Last
    Rogue One: Anomid, Gigoran
    The Last Jedi: Dor Namethian, Xi'Dec
    Solo: Kerestian, Ugor
    Resistance: Mountain Nikto

These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head, there are probably more. A lot of these guys showed up in other movies/shows so that's fun.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Funny thing is, Tython and Ossus both appear in Mando and BOBF but they kind of flip flopped their ecology. Tython was a lush green planet, while Ossus was a desert husk due to the Cron supernova 4000 BBY.

4. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    Yeah, I was a little disappointed with Tython's appearance, but part of that is probably that it's clearly filmed in my area so it didn't seem too mystical!

With Ossus I'm curious if they'll keep its history with the Jedi. Will we ever see Luke exploring the ruins of ancient temples while building his own?

I feel like they've implied the tree on Ach-To is Ood-Bnar, but they could totally have him pop up if they wanted.

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I really REALLY want to see the Wild Karrde and The Lady Luck.

Mon Calamari

Nar Shaddaa

Also think they need to do justice to Kashyyyk. ROTS let us down.

Edit: Almost forgot...HAPAN BATTLE DRAGONS!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It is worth noting that Tython has long been established as one of those few star wars worlds with varied ecologies - in canon we have already seen a frozen part of it (which made people worried it had been retconed into an ice world when that comic came out) and I remember one of the jedi temples in Dawn of the Jedi being in a desert.

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Weren't Phindians an EU species that later showed up in TCW?

8. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    They are! I recently learned this, I always thought they were a TCW original.

Looking at the pre-TCW art compared to the show, they did a pretty bang-up faithful job adapting them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The double-bladed lightsaber (Exar Kun wields one in Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War #3, published in 1995)

Xammer and Dawud786 like this.
  10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I'll bite.

Are you talking about the actual hilt?[face_dunno]

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No, I’m talking about double-bladed lightsabers in general.

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    [​IMG]

Sample size of one. Looking for more?

13. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    If we're talking exclusively live-action, there's also Evil Rey and the Inquisitors. TCW had a fair few.

Jedimarine likes this.
  14. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    Lots and lots of Republic Commandos in The Bad Batch, and they look gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mount Tantiss
    [​IMG]
    Kinrath
    [​IMG]

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001

If this song appeared in The Mandalorian...

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  16. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    The Book of Boba Fett had a song in Mando'a:

17. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    Oh yeah I forgot the Kinrath finally showed up in the Bad Batch after narrowly avoiding The Clone Wars.

That makes me wonder, what are all the EU creatures that have made the jump to live action? The Greater Krayt Dragon in Mando and the Hoojib in Book of Boba Fett are the only ones that come to mind.

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    When was there a hoojib in Book of Boba Fett?

Man, I have seriously blocked out that whole show.

19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    One of the Hutt Twins is soaking up his sweat with a white, rodent-like creature that's since been identified as a hoojib in the junior novelization. It looks pretty close, to be fair, including the little droopy antennae and everything.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    That is depressing.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  21. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
  22. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    That little rat thing being a sentient creature is royally f-ed up, but it fits with the Hutts being the worst.

SPOILERS FOR THE MOST RECENT EPISODE OF THE MANDALORIAN
    A living Mythosaur shows up briefly in the most recent episode of the Mandalorian.

Ewoklord likes this.
  23. KOTOR 1 Javyar Cantina Music in Star Wars Resistance Show

The Iziz City of Onderon is very important in Tales of the Jedi Comics and in KOTOR 2 Iziz appears on TCW Show and is very similar to how the City was in KOTOR 2

Selkath Species from KOTOR Games in TCW

K'Kruhk from the Clone Wars Multimedia Project appearing in Tartakovsky Clone Wars Show fighting Grievous

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2023
    MercenaryAce and Dream-Thinker like this.
  24. Ewoklord

Feb 15, 2014
    It's easy to forget that the R6 astromech actually originated in a West End Games article written by none other than Pablo Hidalgo himself, and now we've seen them translated into live-action in the Sequel Trilogy and The Mandalorian.

[​IMG]

I wonder if we'll ever see some of the later R-series droids make their way over. It seems that by the time a lot of them would show up, the rolly BB-style is more in vogue, but we've also seen a lot more variation in styles of astromechs so I could see them popping up. In Resistance we even had a T3 droid!

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. The Purple Lightsaber Crystal was not first used by Mace Windu Mara Jade, Kam Solusar and Ki-Adi-Mundi used first the Purple Lightsaber Crystal Color but Mace used it first in Live Action i think

Coruscant Name and Planet were created in the EU and with Futuristic Cities first appeared in the EU before the Prequels Movies

Palpatine first used his Lightsaber in Dark Empire before Revenge of the Sith Movie the Holocrons also appeared for the first time in Dark Empire

Lowbacca Chewbacca nephew was the first Wookiee Jedi before Gungi

Palpatine Resurrection first happened in the EU with Dark Empire then it happened in a Live Action Movie with Rise of Skywalker

The idea of Darth Maul Returning first occurred in the Old Wounds Story in 2005 before TCW

The concept that the Rebellion became the New Republic after the Movies is from the EU the New Shows also took the Concept of a New Republic with Imperial Remnants

Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos were originally Multimedia Project/EU Characters Aayla first appeared on Live Action in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith Movies and Quinlan was mentioned by Obi Wan in Revenge of the Sith

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2023