main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN EU Discussion Thread v. 2 - LOTF, KotOR, Dark Times, Rebellion, Legacy and more! (Spoilers!!!)

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    No offense taken or meant. :D I was mostly just trying to calm myself so I didn't say anything rude to those with whom I disagree. ;)

I appreciate a healthy disagreement as long as people don't get rude or loud--well, a little loud is okay... LOL

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yayness!!!!

My Labyrinth of Evil just arrived from Wal-Mart.com!!!!

I will go hole myself up and read this in 2 hours probably. From page one it already looks good. James Luceno rocks!!!!! [face_dancing]

It looks very dark and scary... :D

3. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Does that mean they are in the stores now too?!?!!?!?

4. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Some dialogue - (that will rip your heart out for both Anakin and Obi-Wan)

Obi and Ani on Tythe in the Outer Rim. Anakin has a feeling they need to be on Coruscant, (they are being invaded), but Obi-Wan thinks it's just about Padme (who it seems can get through to Anakin, by "calling out to him". Of course, she has two little Force antennas in her, so that shouldn't be surprising). -

[b]Obi-Wan frowned sympathetically. "You can't afford to miss her in that way."

"And exactly what way is that, Master?"

"Because you cannot be married to both."

"Who said anything about [i]marriage[/i]? She's a friend. I miss her as a friend!"

"You would forgo your destiny for Padme?"

Anakin's brows beetled in anger. "I never claimed to be the Chosen One. That was Qui-Gon. Even the Council doesn't believe it anymore, so why should you?"

"Because I think you believe it," Obi-Wan said calmly. "I think you know in your heart that you're meant for something extraordinary."

"And you, Master. What does your heart tell you you're meant for?"

"Infinite sadness," Obi-Wan said, even while smiling.[/b]

[face_cry]

And later on in the book:

Upon finding out that Coruscant is being invaded after he agrees to stay on Tythe with no arm bending by Obi.

[b]Anakin shot Obi-Wan an embittered look and began to storm away.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan said, following his footsteps.

Anakin whirled on him. "We were wrong to come here, Master. [i]I[/i] was wrong to come here. It was all a feint, and we fell for it. We are being kept away from Coruscant, I can feel it."

Obi folded his arms across his chest. "You wouldn't be saying that if we had captured Dooku."

"But we didn't, Master. That's what counts And now no communication with Coruscant? You don't even see it, do you?"

Obi-Wan regarded him carefully. "See what, Anakin?"

Anakin started to speak, the cut himself off, a new fire in his eyes. "You're my [i]best friend[/i]. Tell me what I should do. Forget for a moment that you're wearing the robes of a Jedi and tell me what I should do!"

Stung by the gravity in Anakin's voice, Obi-Wan fell silent for a moment, then said: "The force is our ally, Anakin. When we're mindful of the force, our actions are in accord with the will of the force. Tythe wasn't a wrong choice, its just that we're ignorant of its import in the greater scheme."

Anakin lowered his head in sadness. "You're right, Master. My mind isn't as fast as my lightsaber." He stared at his artificial limb. "My heart isn't as imperveous to pain as my right hand."

Obi-Wan felt as if someone had knotted his insides. He had failed his apprentice and closest friend. Anakin was suffering and the only balm he offered were Jedi [i]platitudes[/i]. His body heaved a shuddering breath. [/b]

How's that for "Do they act like friends now?" [face_cry]

This movie is going to be SO heavy. :( And James Luceno is a God among men....

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I can't wait to read that book. Of course, I'll have to wait for Traci to get done with it first. It sounds like it's all getting pretty deep, both politically and emotionally.

I just finished re-reading Cloak of Deception by James Luceno. Zahn has nothing on him when it comes to subplot and intrigue. Nothing. Rhonda is so right- Luceno is a god among EU writers. I'm so glad he got to handle this one and not some hack.

And Matt Stover has the EIII novelization....

Cue Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

6. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Thanks for the tasty tidbit.....since it's hardback...I'm going to wait until the local library gets it in next week.....but keep teasing....I wanna hear some more!!!!!!

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Sifo-Dyas is exlained and is Greivous' background.

The Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship is Dead On in this book. It couldn't be any better. You feel sorry for both of them (and to make me feel sorry for Obi says something for Luceno). Padme is in it and you get the feeling more people know about her and Anakin than they thought. She is pregnant, but it doesn't come out and say she is pregnant. Great, great book!!!

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Episode 2 1/2, in other words....

I can't wait to get my hands on that book!

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Heads up! I posted a link to a summary of the ROTS novelization in the spoiler thread. I'll mention it over here but the summary does contain spoilers, so it would probably be best to keep any discussion of the summary in that thread.

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    [image=http://img32.exs.cx/img32/1163/novel3kb.jpg]

OMG. Does that picture of Darth Vader not friggin' rock?!? [face_love]

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, yeah. It definitely rocks.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
  13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    From the inside flap of the novelization of ROTS:

Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway:

SPOILERS BELOW

GO NO FURTHER IF YOU ARE SCARED OF SPOILERS....

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED:

The turning point for the entire Star Wars saga is at hand...

After years of civil war, the Separatists have battered the already faltering Republic nearly to the point of collapse. On Coruscant, the Senate watches anxiously as Supreme Chancellor Palpatine aggressively strips away more and more constitutional liberties in the name of safeguarding the Republic. Yoda, Mace Windu, and their fellow Masters grapple with the Chancellor?s disturbing move to assume control of the Jedi Council. And Anakin Skywalker, the prophesied Chosen One, destined to bring balance to the Force, is increasingly consumed by his fear that his secret love, Senator Padmé Amidala, will die.

As the combat escalates across the galaxy, the stage is set for an explosive endgame: Obi-Wan undertakes a perilous mission to destroy the dreaded Separatist military leader General Grievous. Palpatine, eager to secure even greater control, subtly influences public opinion to turn against the Jedi. And a conflicted Anakin?tormented by unspeakable visions?edges dangerously closer to the brink of a galaxy-shaping decision. It remains only for Darth Sidious, whose shadow looms ever larger, to strike the final staggering blow against the Republic . . . and to ordain a fearsome new Sith Lord: Darth Vader.

Based on the screenplay of the eagerly anticipated final film in George Lucas?s epic saga, bestselling Star Wars author Matthew Stover?s novel crackles with action, captures the iconic characters in all their complexity, and brings a space opera masterpiece full circle in stunning style.

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Whoa.

That's all I can say.

Whoa.

Dammit! I'm going to have to fight myself to keep from reading it before May 19th! I love Stover's style, and I'm scared I'll like his interpretation better than the film (as I did with the other two novelizations).

15. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm scared I'll like his interpretation better than the film
    Terrified here.

16. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    I'm going to try and watch the film before I read the novel this time around. I'm not going to be spoiler free, but I'll be semi-spoiler free!

I don't think I've missed it, but has any book had the origin of Palpatine? I know they touched on it in Dark Rendevous, but I wanna know where he came from!!!

17. otisdodge

Sep 21, 2004
    That is the one thing I wouldn't mind explanation of in the movie--maybe with extra background and characterization in the novelization.

jacob

18. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    I've been flipping through the last 3 books, but I can't find where they name Palpatine's Sith master!! Arggghhh!!! Help please!?!?!?!

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I don't think I've missed it, but has any book had the origin of Palpatine?

I'm only halfway through Labyrinth of Evil, but there's been a brief mention of Palpatine/Sidious's master, Darth Plageous (sp?). Tim thinks it might also be mentioned in the novelization of A New Hope...maybe.

We're planning to get an autographed copy of the ROTS novel at C3, but won't read it before seeing the movie. (I'm pretty much spoiled anyway and I can wait a few weeks. ;))

20. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    That's it! Thanks Trace. I think that's about all that we know about Palpatine. You rock!!

I'm just a tad dirty, but not spoiled, so I'm trying to resist. ARRGHHH!!!

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm spoiled like a merf. But, considering that George tweaks the film until release day, and that he can create one scene from 87 different scenes and takes, I'm not going to take anything for gospel until I see it on May 19th.

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    ROTS Novel Excerpt by Matt Stover

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY. . . .

This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

It is already over. Nothing can be done to change it.

It is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal, courage and sacrifice and the death of dreams. It is a story of the blurred line between our best and our worst.

It is the story of the end of an age.

A strange thing about stories --

Though this all happened so long ago and so far away that words cannot describe the time or the distance, it is also happening right now. Right here.

It is happening as you read these words.

This is how twenty-five millennia come to a close. Corruption and treachery have crushed a thousand years of peace. This is not just the end of a republic; night is falling on civilization itself.

This is the twilight of the Jedi.

The end starts now.

Holeee ****. That just kind of leaves one speechless.... I knew this novel was going to be awesome.

23. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Wow. That's awesome!

24. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Whoa!
    :eek:

-Joe (def NOT reading this before seeing the film)

25. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    After reading Dark Rendevous, it is interesting to hear Yoda talk about the dark side in the movies. It gives you insight into his reasoning. I just wish they would have gone deeper into Yoda's brush with the ds though. Maybe they will after ROTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.