main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT EU stuff that made it into the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Doompup, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    My 7 year old was talking to me about how Kashyyk was his favorite SW planet, and it got me to thinking:
    What things started in the EU that made it into the PT?

I believe the name Kashyyk did (unless it was mentioned in the CT novelizations; it’s been so long since I read them)
    Aayla Secura was from the SW Republic comic and was incorporated into AotC and RotS, as well as TCW.
    Quinlan Vos: kind of back and forth; his likeness flashed briefly in TPM, and I think the creators from SW Republic comic like the look, and made him into a Jedi; fantastic storylines for him in that comic. He had an episode in TCW and is named but not seen in RotS.

I’m sure that list isn’t comprehensive. What else do we have?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    whostheBossk and CIS Droid like this.
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The name of the Imperial capital, Coruscant, I believe was from Zahn's books.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Didn't Kashyyyk originally come from the Holiday Special?

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    This is always claimed, but as far as I know no one's ever proven Zahn came up with it. It's just as possible that Zahn was given that name to use because it was the one Lucas wanted, just as Lucas was responsible for certain other directives that Zahn had to follow.

Unless someone has a source definitively showing otherwise, of course.

Almost. In the Holiday Special it was known as "Kazook." It began to appear as "Kashyyyk" in later sources. The earliest source I'm aware of is The Wookiee Storybook from 1979, which also contains what I believe to be the first mention of Han rescuing Chewie from slavers, as well as the first mention of Chewie's life debt to Han. Personally, I would consider it likely that all these elements originated with Lucas, as the idea of Han returning to Kashyyyk to rescue Chewie and the other Wookiees comports with information he gave in the Carol Titelmann character interviews from 1977, and because the idea of a life debt of course later shows up in Episode I.

People tend to forget that Lucas had background notes on things that never showed up in his movies, and that tie-in authors often received information and guidelines from licensing based on these notes as well as Lucas's answers to queries. So some of the stuff that appears to have originated in the EU may have actually been based on information from Lucas that had simply never been made public before.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Zahn does state outright that he came up with it in the footnoted edition of Heir to the Empire.

Jesta', Darth Caliban and Doompup like this.
  6. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    They mentioned the Bog Moon of Bogden in AOTC.

Jesta' and Doompup like this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Okay, this is what I was looking for.

Could you quote it here, by any chance?

Jesta' and Doompup like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

page 17-18:

5: Before Heir, the Empire's capital was referred to as Imperial Center. My take on that was that the planet must have had a history previous to the Republic and Empire, and would have therefore had some other name. (After all, most Earth capitals were already thriving or at least up-and-coming cities before they became capitals - Washington, DC, being a notable exception.)

Since a largely urbanized world would probably sparkle wonderfully in the sunlight (as well as glittering with its own lights on its dark side), I gave the planet the name Coruscant, which means "glittering".

At that point, I had no idea that the prequel movies would ever be made. I had even less idea that George might actually use Coruscant as the name of the Republic capital.

But they were, and he did. When The Phantom Menace came out, the one promotional toy I made absolutely sure to get hold of was the Coruscant globe from Pizza Hut. It currently sits proudly in my office amid my collection of Star Wars ship models.

-TZ

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The entire planet is one big city!

That line always makes me grin :D

10. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Palpatine comes from the ROTJ novelization. Not really EU, but definitely a non-film source. Same goes for Vader being referred to as the Dark Lord of the Sith in that old picture book.

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Palpatine actually comes from the novelization of the original Star Wars (“Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker”), credited to GL but ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster. Palpatine is mentioned by name in the intro.

interesting factoid: since the book was released before the movie, and Palpatine’s name is the first name we encounter, the name Palpatine is the first canonical Star Wars name made public.

And yeah, the term Sith goes back all the way to Lucas’ first drafts, and was also mentioned in the original novelizations of the OT.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Glitterstimm and Iron_lord like this.
  12. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    Thanks for that, I was gonna ask is his name ever mentioned in TESB or ROTJ - I guess not!!

I always thought it wasn't until TPM that we were given a name.

13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    whostheBossk and Count Yubnub like this.
  14. Exar Kun double lightsaber

15. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    The Name Sith was mentioned i a extended Cut Scene from ANH, when Tarkin has his meeting with the other Moffs on the Death Star. It can be seen in the "Lost Cut".

Count Yubnub likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's the other way around actually.

KyleKartan likes this.