main
side
curve

Discussions EU works you like but everyone else hates

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Feb 19, 2017.

1. President Bossk

President Bossk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2019
    I remember enjoying The Last of the Jedi series a lot when I was younger, though being made for younger readers I wonder if I would actually enjoy them if I went back and read them today. I also like Dark Empire. I don't like some of the plot elements, like Luke going all dark and the emperor still being alive, as it made Vader's sacrifice seem less important. But I really enjoyed it despite that. It's kinda cool if you view it as a "what-if" or something like that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    I don't know the general feeling on them, but I loved the Republic Commando series. I've heard a lot of people criticize them, and Karen Traviss in general, but I really enjoyed the series and the "boots on the ground" perspective it brought. I also enjoyed Legacy of the Force, though feel it is deeply flawed in certain aspects, but the ride was overall enjoyable to me.

3. Emperor Ferus

Emperor Ferus Chosen One star 7

Jul 29, 2016
    I should have mentioned the entire EU era after Vector Prime. This includes The New Jedi Order, The Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi. Still disappointed about the Sword of the Jedi trilogy.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 9 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  5. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Me too

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. Pythaga

Pythaga Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2018
    Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Maybe because it was my first real experience with the EU, or maybe because I just remember reading it years ago through rose colored glasses. Looking back now, I realize certain elements *cough* Sun Crusher *cough* are really stupid. I need to re-read the trilogy sometime soon.

7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Oh, the Sun Crusher.

You know, as long as it was just the Sun Crusher, most of what it had could be dismissed as a highly experimental thing whose secrets were lost in the Maw Installation.

But a decade later the Shadow Chaser comes along, which is also equipped with quantum armor, which isn't a superweapon or even any kind of weapon, just a transport vehicle, and not even for a very important person like Brakiss or "the Emperor." At which point I'm like "are you freaking kidding me? An Imperial faction has access to armor so solid it can survive a direct hit from a Death Star, and the only thing they've made out of it is a ride for their middle management?"

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Hangman Host/ 19X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the Sun Crusher was crippled by a hit from the fringes of the powered down beam of the Death Star Prototype - I think the "can survive direct hit from Death Star" bit is hyperbole.

Lando's mining ship also had quantum armour and was damaged by a speeding corusca gem:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Fast_Hand

so I think it's safe to say that the quantum armour that the Shadow Chaser uses is basically the same stuff - "available on the open market" - rather than top-secret stuff.

9. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Good point.

10. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    THIS!

I’m listening to to the audio and I’m hooked. I avoided it for so long because the covers looked so poorly photoshopped. I know: shallow of me. But it’s awesome. Very fun to listen to.

And I am also on team Courtship!

Here’s where I’m gonna get guff... I liked Callista’s books. It was unique and she was a different type of character. Had no idea that Luke and Mara were going to end up together, although I was loving Mara. Callista was a contrast and written with a tenderness that I thought fitting of a Luke Skywalker romance.

And Tales from Jabba’s Palace. Always fun to read the same story from the eyes of several different people. And I know that everyone hates the palace and the bikini...etc..but I always loved that part in the movie. It was so bizarre...and if I was a slumlord slug with no morals, I’d probably have a similar set-up. True story.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I have say I do wish the early Republic comics got more love. Not really hated but definitely not talked about as much as the Clone Wars portions of the comics, which I also love. Arcs like Jedi Council: Act of War, Emissaries to Malastare, Outlander and The Stark Hyperspace War among others were excellent and showed you could do stories of Jedi just being peacekeepers well despite no galaxy shattering conflicts.

12. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Good point^^^

13. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    ... and Union!

*gets pelted in the head by a flying, but deactivated, lightsaber and falls over into the nearest space koi pond*

No but seriously, the artwork that is sometimes good and sometimes the stuff of nightmares, Mara’s cold feet nightmare (which I so want to cosplay that bridal/stormtrooper/vipers in the bouquet getup!), Luke looking like a puffy Mark Hamill punching bag while everyone else was immortalized in their good looks (seriously... does the artist hate Luke???), the montage of galactic wedding gowns... even a Huttenese that looks remarkably close to my Saturday Netflix marathon attire... Only to settle on a dress that is so painfully 90’s low budget lifetime movie...

It’s just a mecca of bad and I am so here for it. ALSO, when I downloaded it to my kindle... I had no idea that I was downloading the German version... so I can’t even read the darn thing! But I literally cackle with joy whenever I peruse it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  14. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    1) the prequel TOTJ comics (GAOTS and FOTSE) - I like them much more than the usually better regarded main series, because they really feel about the history of the Sith whereas the Sith in the main series seem more like some kind of an offshoot

2) Legacy of the Force - because it's about a lot of actors with wildly different interests, it's not a simple tale of Good vs Evil, even Jacen is not really a villain until the last books, because all characters feel alive and three-dimensional, because it is primarily a story which relies on its characters to give momentum and not on escalating superweapons or overarching mysteries, because it draws off a lot of EU material without being in your face, and because of loads of other reasons :D

Deliveranze and PCCViking like this.
  15. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Jedi trial.

Anakin working as a subordinate to a non Jedi Council level knight was cool.

The tie in to Corran Horn even if it did create a issue with Hal Horns age.

A star wars book where artillery is used how it is in real life.

It was cool to see one of the early RPG refernces to the clone wars era reused(Freedom's sons, the militia unit)

16. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Good Points.I also love Jedi Trial

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Reviving this thread to name another EU work that's fairly polarizing among the fanbase.

The Force Unleashed video games and the overall multi-media projects around them are underrated IMO. Not the best games and the over the top force powers can understandable be a little much for some. But overall I love the post-ROTS aesthetics, the story has grown on me in recent time and the characters have aged better then I thought originally.

Overall I just feel some of the hate thrown at TFU is a bit unwarranted and I hope like the prequel movies they get reevaluated over time.

Deliveranze and CampOfSorgan like this.
  18. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Crystal Star was a entertaining read. Dark Empire was a cool story.

Jaxxon the green, meat-eatin', rocket-ridin' rabbit was a good character.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. adalmentia

adalmentia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2020
    Jacen Solo's hero's journey

AusStig likes this.
  20. AusStig

AusStig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Dark Empire. A big fun ride. Good character growth for Luke and Leia.

21. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2019
    Legacy of the Force. My first steps into the adult EU (I read the Boba Fett novel series before). I loved it. I'm a slow reader, but I flew through these books back in the day because I was so enamored with the story and characters. I really liked how it pushed the story forward, had a new generation of characters, and the setting felt like a living, breathing galaxy just like the movies did. I've come to appreciate the Bantam era in recent years, but I'll always be partial to Del Rey.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  22. Lord Sith Harloxzz

Lord Sith Harloxzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2016
    The Force Unleashed those games got me into the EU

23. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2020
    Darksaber, i love that book to death.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Your right about that Darksaber is awesome.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Courtship of Princess Leia is the best single Star Wars book.

When you think about how much of that book has influenced everything that came after:

Force WItches
    Hapes Consortium
    Warlod Zsinj
    The Iron Fist (heck, the idea that more executors even existed)

People can't get around the romantic melodrama...which, let's face it, was aimed at an audience of teenage readers, and mostly boys. So what do you expect, Shakespeare?

Dave Wolverton did a fantastic job not only recapturing the fun and thrill of the Star Wars films, but also adding fantastic elements that many MANY authors since have been woefully incapable of.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.