main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Europe Today: now disc. Greece and its Golden Dawn

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by SuperWatto, Nov 1, 2013.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It seems to me that Europeans don't realize enough that, no matter whether you're for or against a united Europe, any great political upheaval anywhere in Europe may be of consequence to you. And since I don't participate much on European-centric forums - if they exist at all - I thought I'd open up a topic here.

To start off with, this just in:
    Fatal shooting near Athens Golden Dawn office
    At least two men have been shot dead in a drive-by shooting outside Greece's Golden Dawn party office in Athens, police said.

The attack came amid a crackdown by the government on Golden Dawn party after a self-proclaimed Golden Dawn sympathiser stabbed an anti-fascism rapper to death in September.

The party rose from obscurity on an anti-immigrant and anti-austerity agenda to enter parliament for the first time last year. Its banner features a swastika-like emblem and its leader has denied the Holocaust took place, but the group says it is not neo-Nazi.

[​IMG]

Now, I guess we all saw something like this coming, what with the near-default and the crisis all. Question is, why didn't politicians see it coming? Why did Greece have to be forsaken so completely that a big, embedded, extreme right-wing party is the result? Don't we ever learn? And what can be done about it now?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  3. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I find a lot of articles saying bad things about the Golden Dawn, but I don't find anything bad coming from the Golden Dawn themselves.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Nothing bad from the Golden Dawn themselves?

1) Golden Dawn members attack journalist
    2) Golden Dawn members (among others) attack a theater
    3) Golden Dawn leads mobs that attack immigrants.
    4) Golden Dawn makes violent threats against immigrants
    5) Golden Dawn MP assaults two female politicians on live television
    6) Golden Dawn is implicated on the murder of a left wing hip hop artist.

Do I need to continue?

5. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Wow, Greece's Tea Party group sounds just as bad as ours. ;)

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  7. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
  8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    So, things are heating up in Greece:

Anarchists murdering Neo-Nazis in Greece

I can't say this is really all that great. Eventually Golden Dawn is going to start killing back, and then, y'know, Civil War. yay.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What do you mean "killing back?" They've already been killing. They've been killing before backlash came against them.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Should have been more clear; there's rather a large difference between Golden Dawn murdering random civilians and two armed groups deciding to start killing eachother.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not terribly surprised by this. On one hand, yes, it's somewhat jarring to see in Europe as I think it's common to think of Europe now as very modern, but on the other hand, it does seem like a lot has led to this. The current Republic of Greece only goes back to 1974, prior to which Greece had a junta, and before that a kingdom. So Greece is a relatively young country in that sense, and not what I'd consider particularly stable inherently. At least in terms of democracy would go. Beyond that, though, is that the situation seemed ripe for some sort of thing like this, since Greece has been going through an economic disaster. I'd tend to contend a large part of this was their own doing, but when resources drop, people start trying to make sure that if the net wealth is decreasing, they still get a piece of that. Banding together is a logical extent of that, and since this is in many regards and outwardly imposed situation because Greece is tied to the Euro and can't easily adapt, it's also pushing nationalism, in much the same way that the Treaty of Versailles was viewed in Germany as being responsible for Germany's economic woes, and that chaos was what Hitler used to fuel his ascent. The situations in Greece are unnervingly close to that.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.