main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate European ultranationalists!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 23, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Could that ban on non-pork meals actually be completely plausible? I would assume there would be a strong vocal minority against this decision.

2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

Food is such a huge part of French cultural identity that, as mad as this is, it doesn't surprise me in the least. It's exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to a very large proportion of the French electorate while being ruthlessly offensive and unwelcoming to Muslims and Jews.

I think the awesome thing that we're missing here, though, is that there is absolutely no consideration for vegetarians.

3. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Do the French really look down on vegans/vegetarians?

4. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Things are a bit different in Paris but in the regions, vegetarians are viewed with incredulity. Not quite disdain, but they're certainly seen as ridiculous and incomprehensible by most of the French.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Probably due to the French taking their cuisine very seriously I imagine.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not aware of pork having a particularly special place. Why not force chicken?

7. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Chicken makes you weak.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, at the very least, being a bigot is a huge part of Le Pen's cultural identity. So there's that.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Hungary just had a national parliamentary election. The center-right party won the most votes at 44%. But for our discussion we needto look at the party which got third place at 20% (almost a million votes). It's a political party called Jobbik and, you guessed it, they're ultranationalists. But it gets even better, because these guys are anti-semitic as well. And 20% of voters voted for them.

10. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Hungary has always been on the "ultra" side of ultra-national, but they play nice with their neighbors, even when they were under Soviet domination. I mean, the mummified hand of the country's patron saint is on display with the caveat of "as long as the hand exists, Hungary will never fall..." Not too many countries have such a unified national identity.

And one of the largest, if not the largest in Europe, Jewish Holocaust museums is in Budapest. I suppose that so much time has passed the message of the museum could be lost to the population of Hungary, but I don't think the country itself would tolerate specific anti-semitic shenanigans.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I know Germany bans anyone who gives speeches about the Holocaust being a lie, but which other countries in Europe have that type of law enforced?

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The best way to show the world that you have improved from your totalitarian past is to have thoughtcrimes.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Vivec, your "post zingers without reading anything at all" schtick is wearing thin.

yankee8255 and Ender Sai like this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, I'm totally not contributing to this thread at all.

Oh, wait.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nah, just that you succumb to this urge to post a line that you think is clever without thinking whether or not it's actually applicable. It's not a good look, and more importantly, not the effective point you want it to be. :p

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You'll find my one liners tend to come while I'm at work and posting on my phone. You can see my longer posts when I get home and post on my computer.

Regardless, they're quite clever. :p

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Nah, man, they just reinforce a bright mind being incredibly lazy when it comes to politics. Ze Germans are actually quite contrite about the sins of their past - ashamed, actually - and never want the guilt of being responsible for that many deaths on their hands again.

You have to give them credit for that. THat, and their cars.

yankee8255 likes this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh, I give them credit for being ashamed.

Laws punishing people who espouse terrible history are still bad.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If you lived in Europe and saw what grounds fascism is making, I wonder if you would still hold this view?

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    My values aren't so flimsy that I'd throw them out in fear at the first sign of trouble.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Spoken like a true American. [face_flag]

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    As far as enduring signs of trouble...show of hands, who's been on the same street as a bombing?

Lord Vivec likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I was in Burma in 07 when that went to hell and in Timor Leste in 06 when that was a playground.

Who has the bigger penis, Lowie? I figured since you threw the gauntlet down and the font change suggests a copy paste, maybe from an IM chat with Vivec who wanted you to do that for him, someone wants to measure wangs.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lol if vivec and lowie im chat

otoh i facebook chat with vivec so maybe i got nothin

oh, and ive never been bombed but one time i punched in the head a few times and my reaction was nonviolent trolling and foolish persistance way past the point where most people would have cut their losses so i guess im pretty consistant in the face of physical violence? is this what we're doing i dont even