main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate European ultranationalists!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I tripped over a Persian rug once and immediately converted to Zoroastrianism.

RC-1991 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the darth guy I know would have made a quizzical look, shrugged, and continued his trudge towards the bathroom

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

VIvec is trying to suggest he's better than Europeans, which is laughable on all levels. He's also trying to suggest that since nationalism over there has to all sorts of nasty things - like a genocide - banning denial of the holocaust is also bad.

In short, an area he knows next to nothing about and probably hasn't spend too much time in (to get a sense for custom and opinion) is an area he's comfortable lecturing from the lofty perch of American liberalism. Like, you know, every other American ever.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Does my presence and the bombing have to be at the same time? :p

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're just that -- YOUR values. The rest of the world doesn't share the American view on hate speech. That's where they draw the line; and given many of these hateful movements were started by charismatic speakers taking advantage of the disaffected, it's easy to see why.

You can disagree without being so smug about it. I once saw a historical meeting between SCOTUS and the ECtHR, both modern day pillars of human rights, and they shared their views quite frankly about the freedom of speech. Despite having differences of opinion, they were not so closed-minded as to suggest that their views were the only way to go and that everything else was horrible.

Life isn't so black and white.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What's thay saying about a thief thinking that everyone wants to steal from him? You spend so much time asserting how superior "le europe" types are that any challenge to that is people thinking they are superior.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    j
    Jello what are you on.

When have I ever suggrsted that people who disagree with me are less or inferior? That's Ender's schtick.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Your drive-by phone comment and everything that came after it. You come across as significantly judgmental about European anti-fascist laws.

If you don't want to be misunderstood, go for clarity instead of comedy. There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to do both, but so far it's clearly not working.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    While I understand what Vivec is trying to say -- really, dude, I do -- America is generally self-correcting for such things. Rampant antisemitism that caused additional untold millions of my people (including some family) to die because "the US didn't want Jews flooding the shores" in the late-1930s/early-1940s, the shameful period of Japanese internment, the shameful periods of slavery, Jim Crow, etc. Though it may take time, because we're a constitutional republic it works itself out in the end. Even now with protectionism for marriage "outside the norm" coming in a tide of history, it took decades to get here but we're here and it'll stay.

The Euro-nations have a much, much, much more serious problem with it -- collectively and individually -- with it than we do. They also don't share, as noted, the same free speech laws codified as we do. The French, in particular, having suffered through Napoleonic eras, Vichy France, Nazism, etc. have way more restrictive speech laws in regards to certain things (especially Nazis) than we do because it's more important to them than overall free speech. And that's a valid POV, even if you do not think so -- it's not entirely up to us to legislate such things for the rest of the world, even if we seem to want to.

PS - in regards to being on the same street as a bombing... assuming it doesn't have to be "at the same time" I obviously was; and took in refugees from one. And I still thought the people who didn't want the building across from the WTC site to become an Islamic Education Center and mosque were bigoted, close-minded fools -- but they are entitled to their opinions and their thoughts.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Really I don't know what universe you're in. There's literally a guy here who called me stupid twice for disagreeing with a law, and I'm the smug one who thinks everyone disagreeing with me is horrible? What is wrong with you?

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Frankly, I'm in complete support of anti-hate speech laws even if it violates one's freedom of speech, but that's most likely because I'm constantly ashamed of being an American and want more than anything to move to Cardiff.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Vivienne, I made my post before Ender even said anything. And the fact that he said anything doesn't change what you said. Don't hide behind him, and don't hide behind me either. Either defend what you said or concede error. Talking about what Ender did or what's wrong with me is avoidance.

You promised a fuller discussion when you got off of your phone. It's time to deliver. Give us some substance. I don't so much care what your position is, as long as you develop it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think it's unfair to tar him as somehow misunderstanding the context that informs European legislation. He simply takes the view that the costs of hate speech are not sufficient even in those contexts to warrant it's banning. That's sort of what defines an absolutist position. Such positions are not inherently wrong or ignorant.

That said, I think this one in particular is quite manifestly wrong. In decades of experience from all over the world these sorts of laws have never been either the opening wags or slippery slope that opponents fear. They ought to admit that realistically not much is being surrendered at all for huge gains in the quality of the society as a whole. Let's continue the debate in this fashion discussing the issue in this fashion, assuming that people's differences of opinion are not due to some inherent ignorance.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    His position has never been my issue, Wocky. It's a complicated issue and -- like I said -- either position has good merits. The issue is his steadfast refusal to discuss the issue -- first in referring inappositely to thoughtcrime where the majority of the laws in question refer to publication -- and then in referring baldly to his values and leaving it at that, as if that answered the question.

Anyway I don't think anybody here is accusing him of misunderstanding the context -- except maybe Ender. DP mentioned the context as part of his analysis, and I noted Vivec's one-liners don't match the laws he's purportedly criticizing.

I haven't even stated my opinion on the issue yet, and that's intentional since I'm waiting for Vivec to develop his point. I'm sure we can guess -- as you did, but I'd like to see him say it and defend it is all.

I'm asking for dialogue.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, I agree with your position thus far. I should have been clear that the first half of my post (and it's concluding sentence) was directing criticism largely/solely at Ender, who is the only one who did those things.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

lmao, why the hell would you want to go to wales, boyo? thats where the damn welshmen are

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I did promise a fuller discussion, but that was before my mother got diagnosed with a ballooned aneurysm and I'm stuck in a hospital with only one liners to give.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

damn, **** got real. good luck to you and your mother, man

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What's so bad about the Welshmen? Anthony Hopkins is one!

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah.

In the absense of my ability to post walls of text without typos, I'd argue it's a failing that Ender and co can't seem to argue for a law against holocause denial without pointing to "bad guys might say bad things." Last I checked, it's up to the people appriving a law to defend why it should be there.

I also have a hard time believing people actually think it's okay to send someone to jail for saying that the holocaust never happened.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's where the second part of why thoughtcrime was inaccurate -- they're not penal laws, they're mostly civil penalties. You'd pay a fine, you wouldn't go to jail.

At any rate, sorry to hear the news. Hope everything works out. I apologize retroactively for calling you out.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Obviously the thought crime was snark (this is the jcc). But conceptually it's still worrying. And I don't think it warrants ender's accusation that I think Americans are superior. When have I ever been rah rah patriotism is awesome?

And I appreciate the sentiment.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You are already personally aware of all the comments I have made on both this subject and your lately emerged personal concerns. I publicly stand by the sum and individual components of those private remarks.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, when I said, about you, " a bright mind being incredibly lazy" on the previous page, that was calling you stupid?

Tell me; being hysterical and histrionic and inventing excuses to be offended - who does that remind you of? Another username starting V is who it reminds me of...

It's not that; as a people you are typically blind to other cultural norms and values. Believe me, it's not just me that sees it. And I understand where it comes from; anyone growing up with the privilege and opportunity Americans grow up with is going to be somewhat sheltered.

I don't think that you can sit there in the US and apply US values to Europe, simply because you've never experienced half the things Europe has. There's no value judgement about better or worse here; just history. A value judgement would be pointing out that they suffered the worst of Nazi brutality whilst the US was profiteering from the war and refusing to get involved, for example. :p

Europe has shared land borders; the US doesn't. Europe's been the centre of two world wars; the US hasn't. Western Europe is facing a challenge to both collective (pan-EU, that is) and individual identity from migration of both Eastern Europeans but more North African and Arab Muslims which the US isn't and as the US hasn't really had much more than Southern imbeciles dressing up in bedsheets it cannot draw a parallel between its history and Europes when it comes to extreme racist responses. Europe's liberalism is very different to the US' and you need to - and are not - make allowances for this.

epic likes this.