main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Event] BATS, CATS & THE EVIL EMPIRE: Sunday, October 31 @ WOTR

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    This info was recently posted by Lance over @ the 501st.

"Fellow troops, I have recently been in contact with Nancy and Doug and the WOTR Museum and have learned the X-Wing will be returning sometime at the end of September (exact date not yet known).

The plan, at this point, is to have a Welcome Back The X-Wing/Halloween event on Sunday October 31st. While general plans have been formulated, specific plans are still in the works.

Among the ideas Nancy and I have discussed are:

- A Halloween Trick-or-Treat Trivia street where kids will be given a trivia questionaire which they will take from aircraft to aircraft. After filling out each question the kids will get a piece of candy. Once the questionaire is complete they will take it to the X-Wing, answer a final question and be given a final treat. Candy and an education, does it get any better?

- A costume contest, very much like the last one, except all costumes will be considered, not just STAR WARS.

- Two separate raffles, one with boy items and one with girl items. All proceeds go to the WOTR Museum. I already have some of the items.

- 501st MG KIDS COLORING STATION where kids will be able to color pictures drawn by Chad B.

- Jedi-In-Training Pinata: design of pinata up for discussion, I thought a DEATH STAR. I already have some of the prizes that'll be put inside.

- STAR WARS authors: I have been in touch with Kevin J. Anderson and his wife Rebecca Moesta and am working out the details of their appearance.

There are other things still in the very beginning of planning, which I will update everyone on as soon as I know more.

As it stands now this event will only take place on Halloween Day, Sunday Oct. 31st from 12pm - 5pm. Jay Leno is going to be making an appearance at a fundraiser of some kind the night before, Saturday Oct. 30th, thereby eliminating the possibility of making this a two day event like the X-Wing Send-Off. I am pushing for this event to take place the weekend before, Sat. and Sun. Oct. 23rd and 24th so we can have a bigger, better turn out, much like the one we had for the X-Wing Send Off. Unless and until things change, plan on Sunday Oct. 31st.

The 501st MG will again we working in conjunction with the RMFF.

As the museum staff is made up of mainly volunteers, we are asking for any assistance we can get. Nancy said the museum will have some money budgeted to buy candy, treats, etc.. I have already bought some things. Any help with this event will be greatly appreciated.

Nancy told me that every week people come in asking when the X-Wing is coming back. Some people are also disappointed they missed the Send Off and are anxious to see it back.

Contact me with any questions, ideas, etc.. I know we all learned from the X-Wing Send Off, things we could do to make an event like this even better.

More updates will follow.

May The Force Be With Us."

Please post any questions/concerns/ideas here, and I'll see what I can do to facilitate this w/501st.

2. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    Thanks for the information!

Kim had discussed about getting other fan groups involved as well, such as the harry potter group,
    sg-14, etc. etc.

i think that it being halloween that this would be a good idea. kids love harry potter.

i am up for helping out with anything...nancy was really gracious with us last time we where there.

I think this needs to be first on the list of topics at the next meeting.

hey SS you might want to put. [Event]in front of the subject. :)

3. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I will start phone calls on Monday to see if any plans are becoming final, updates here & at the meeting. Let's see what we can pull off :D

4. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    since ppl live around there, any want to go and trick or treat with me after the event :D ;) ?

seriously.

5. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I'd go if I thought I could get away with it.

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm in. :D

7. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I am Very interested and would like to get in on this. I had a lot of fun the 1st time and bet it will only get better this time. So when you get more info let me know.
    Later Days....

8. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Can we get some additional press (ahead of time) on this? The more people know about it ahead of time, the better. Maybe even in the Rocky Mountain News/Posts Halloween section that shows all of the Halloween events?

9. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    Can we make a mini haunted house? I have some props,and we can use one of the meeting rooms,I
    can put it togather with help.

10. anthonymaul

Mar 22, 2004
    I can pull it off,I have fog machines,lights,props,and I've done it before.I will need help in the house and with some add.props.I can also tame it down for youner kids.

11. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    We could definitely consider a Haunted House, just need to clear it w/WOTR first, and then figure out who's doin' what to whom, and where...

12. anthonymaul

Mar 22, 2004
    Sweet,just let me know.I would like to be in charge of it,if we can do it.I know they have a couple of rooms,they used them at C1.It would be fun for
    the kids.

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I'd suggest shooting a PM to Kim with your thoughts/ideas and take it from there.

14. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I am in on the WOTR party and the trick or treating afterwards!

15. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    I will try to make it this time. It sounds like fun. :D

16. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    No confirmations on what we are going to do, but here are a few items Nancy & I spoke about:
    1. Costume Contest
    2. Trivia Contest
    3. Light Saber duels (Chico)
    4. Haunted House (Anthony)
    5. Mad Scientist room (Becca)
    6. Death Star Pinita (sp?) 501 idea, I'm making it.
    7. Raffle for 1 boy & 1 girl prize pack, donations to go to WOTR. (501st idea)

Item 4 or 5 may be mixed in with a 501st idea, not clear on what Lance had planned yet.

I think this is plenty to do for the 5 hours they will be open, what do you think?

I will have a meeting with them sometime soon, I will then let you know what's a go & what's not, but if someone wants to start on a flyer, that would be sweet.

Lots going on right now, so if you ever feel like your not getting the 411 fast enough, PM, email or phone me.
    Thanks

17. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    let me know ASAP if we do indeed want to do the Mad Scientist room, would be happy to coordinate it with anyone that would like to help

just need to get idea's and props and such together=)

<looks for her trusty MrWizards World book and lesson plans>

oh

I have tons of fun lesson plans, if we want we can set up "Lab" sessions and have people sign up for them in advance to limit sizes=)

Tons of fun cool stuff, cheap to do=)

And no, I have never done this before, taught, done science out reach programs or anything like that, why do you ask?

18. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    What would I need to ask WOTR to supply for use? A seperate room, outlets???? Nancy was wanting to know how many people she would need to staff to run all this stuff & I told her no-one we can handle it, am I right with that statement?
    I will see about the demo for that too :D

19. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Demo for what?

I would need, if I could, a room with tables and chairs and some outlets and maybe a chalkboard (if not I can bring a white board)

and I can take care of staffing and most of the supplies=).

At a bare minimum I would need at least two tables and some space. It would be nicer to have a room, and it would be nice to have some outlets so I can bring some cool looking electronics in with me.

20. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    Can we mix Na and H20 :D ?

21. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks, what I meant about demos is your list of people for a class thing?? Duh :p

22. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    lol

I am still confused but ok

lol

and no

we are not micing H2O and Na

although I do have some rather large aquariums

that could be fun.....

I wonder, also, if I can get some liquid Nitrogen.....

23. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    If you need LN2 Becca I can probably get you some.

24. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    How scary is this getting??????? I won't meet w/ WOTR until Monday or Tuesday, that will be as soon as I can find out. I'll keep you updated, we also will need to make flyers.

25. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Hey JP

can you get it in a suitable container for hauling/storing

cause we could use it to freeze balls so they break

and show how blinking LED's speed up when colder

etc

=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.