main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[EVENT] Pottery Barn Promotion for LFL - Sept???

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by ZOOfo-Dyas, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
  2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Trying to work that out now... Colorado Springs/Pikes Peak Squad is going for Sept 6th.

As soon as I can get the other details, I will pass them along.

3. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    I can probably bring R2 to the flatirons mall. That is not too far away, and IIRC the store is near the food court area (i.e. lots of space and traffic).

4. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Flatirons would be my first choice as well. R2? =D= Everyone loves R2.

5. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Just in from the CR board. I will try to firm this up if I can. Sounds strange as all get out???

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
  7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    uhm...zoom...who are the people you hang out with?

8. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Just called the store, she gave me Corporate?s #, they are the ones organizing the entire thing so they are consistent across the US.

She said something about the costume characters being LFL approved & each store needs 2 to 4.

The tickets are for 'priority' picture ops & the 'general' public gets second dibs? She knew nothing about $ to charity, I'm feeling less & less comfortable about this whole thing.

9. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    im sure it will be fine. surly lfl will approve our costumes

10. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Yeah, but how do we go about getting that done? :p

11. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Bathrobe Jedi = Not LFL approved.

Other than that... dunno.

12. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    This is easily the strangest trooping event I have ever heard of... Event to promote bedsheets, at a POTTERY BARN. Getting tickets to line up to have your picture taken with "LFL Approved" characters which are essentially just people off the street who have their own costumes(us).

Just trying to make sense of it.

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Don't. LOL. LFL and its partners do it all the time. They see free labor and abuse it whenever they can. And too often, people will jump at any chance to dress up. I think it's fan abuse. But hey, that's just me. Everybody loves my opinions.

I need a t-shirt that says that.

14. hyperdyne

Nov 1, 2004
    It is pretty much fan abuse. LFL always uses whatever free labor it can get from overzealous costumers. They have more money than some smaller countries, but dont pay people to do their gigs. Problem is that there will always be a group who wants to do it - and at no cost. Heck, I was one of them until recently. I support charity work since it is a different beast than capitalistic ventures. I just dont have the time or constitution to go out and work for free in some attempt to appease my conscience or revel in past childhood euphoria. I'd like to, but not when the other guy is making money hand over fist on the backs of others. I think I am over it.

That is one reason I am done with celebrations - the last two I was bent over the barrel w/ little to no reward/compensation. While others were taking in the shows, I was glorified slave labor trying to get umpteen things done every day. I guess I am a slow learner, but at least figured it out... :oops:

15. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    LOL "fan abuse" --that could be a rather amusing discussion on other boards. [face_devil]

And it's sad, but true.

As much as I love trooping at events like the Borders troops --as the smiles we get are typically worth the price of admission -- it is sad that we are seen and used as unpaid actors by retail establishments.

In fact, if we didn't get the great smiles and response from the folks, it wouldn't be worth it at all, other than the fanboy coolness of being an action figure, or from completing a complicated kit/build. But you guys have brought up some interesting points.

16. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    the 501st got SCREWED at C2. i get burned out on "charity" events but doing the last couple of events have made it fun again for me

17. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000

The last few events have been a blast. I'm still not committing to the Pottery Barn one, yet. We'll see.

I think I'd rather do more charity stuff than corporate stuff, and I'd love to see us make headway with the Children's Hospital, or any hospital, or something like that.

And that reminds me --I need to start walking more to get ready for the JRDF walk with Scott...

18. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    That would be great if we could do something for Children's!

19. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    He even took the gramophone with him on safari. Three rifles, supplies for a month, and Mozart. He began our friendship with a gift. And later, not long before Tzavo, he gave me another--an incredible gift: a glimpse of the world through God's eye. And then I thought, "yes, I see. This is the way it was intended." I've written about all the others not because I loved him less, but because they were clearer, easier. He was waiting for me there. But I've gone ahead of my story. He'd have hated that -- Denys loved to hear a story told well. You see, I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills. But it really began before that; it really began in Denmark.

20. hyperdyne

Nov 1, 2004
    Now I am hearing this event is on the 13th. I cant make that, my son's SW-themed birthday party is that day. We are supposed to do lots of activities and I was trying to find some characters to make an appearance...

21. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Membership in the 501st or RL counts as LFL approved.

And for the record...it looks like I'm gonna have to decline on this one.

22. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Yeah but none of mine or dh's are 'approved' in that way :eek:

At this point I'm kinda thinking I don't want to do this either :( I think the next day is the JDR walk.

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I'm gonna be a Clone Wars Jedi for MHC so I can be unapproved with you.

24. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    OH, you have to see this, it's so Exact!

[image=http://i20.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/02/82/ff71_2.JPG]

Jeff put mine together in a matter of hours and I love mine!

25. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I want something comfortable, that I can still chase kids with. That's why the only thing I wore last year was my Ghostbuster uniform. I still have a couple projects that I occasionally do a bit of work on in passing whenever I'm in the garage, but really, unless I sneak out to troop without Rachel or we get a babysitter, I probably won't ever wear them. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.