main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Everthing Matrix!! (Reloaded/Revolutions Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Forcebewitya, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey everyone, I am not sure if there has been a thread for the Matrix sequels, and the Animatrix episodes here before, so I decided to post one. I mean, I thought with Reloaded drawing ever closer that there needed to be a thread on it. Anyway, I'm super psyched for it, and will be at the midnight showing in my town. Also the Animatrix looks really awesome, I haven't seen Final Flight of the Osiris, but BADLY want to. So tell me what you think.

Forcebewitya!

2. Kueller

Kueller Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    There is a thread for this in the JCC.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Huh, what a conincidence, we are in the ampitheatre ;)

4. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I agree with weezer, this is a neutral topic. Beside's why go through tha hassle of joining a existing discussion that's probably a few thousand post's long? [face_mischief]

I'm a big time Matrix fan. This movie tore through the mold and set new standard's for Computer animation and still is among my top 5 favorite films. :)The computer graphic's still IMHO have stood unchallenged.

I've been anticipating the release of Matrix Reloaded with much eagerness, it's going to freakin rule. :cool:To make the second as successful as the first the Whachowski brother's need to stick to the storyline and not turn it into a eye candy fest like so many other brillaint movies.

To be pefectly honest what exactly was this online fan made cartoon all about? :confused:I hav'ent bothered to check it out. . . .

<[-]> Saber

5. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "what exactly was this online fan made cartoon all about?"

are you refering to the Animatrix? If so the Animatrix is a series of short episodes done in either CG or anime. THey are actually written by the Wachowski bros. and some are directed by them, I think. Also they directly tie into the whole matrix lore (same with the video game Enter the Matrix). The first episode Final Flight of the Osiris, is done in CG animation by the same team that created Final Fantasy movie. It can be seen after the movie Dreamcatcher. Anyway do any of you know if your city is going to have a midnight showing for Reloaded? I'm not sure if mine is, but if so I am definitly going to go to it.

Forcebewitya!

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I can not wait till the trailer comes out. Hopefully the site will have it up for download tomorrow.

The Animatrix episodes are great. Worth watching if you are able to.

7. Glockennspiel

Glockennspiel Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2003
    Truthfully, I was kind of disappointed by the Matrix.

<ducks the incoming rocks>

No, but seriously the problem I had with it is that it seemed they're top priority is showing off 'cool' effects and how many different ways they could make people fly and do kung-fu which makes it IMO too much like a video game story instead of a story story. I like the ghost teleporting effect in the new trailer, I think its been used before, and seeing all those clones of Hugo Weaving is...strange.
    If I go to the sequels I hope to see some crazy weird twist to the 'myth' thing.
    And a more characterization or at least more emotional range so I can care about people in the movie, I don't understand why they all conform to dress and speech in the Matrix? Why is no one eccentric enough to be different like have blue dyed hair have a different colored suit, and oh I dunno shout a lot. Except that one guy who attempted to sell them out, he was sort of different from the rest. I'll give the second movie a chance because it's usually the second act the makes or breaks a good story (at least that's what I feel after reading many sci-fi trilogies). And because I'm curious to see them redefine reality or whatever they're boasting that they'll do. Maybe it would be incredibly radical like having the machines win at the end or something or the Matrix become the 'real' and so you can do anything you want in the real world because there is no more real world kind of thing, something OTHER than good guy sacks himself for the good of humanity and everything is bunnies and flowers again.

8. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Just for anyone who cares the new trailer is going to appear on Entertainment Tonight tommorow (thurs.)

also about what you said about why you dont like the matrix. I'm not going to argue, but most of this movie is about special effects (Not to say that it doesn't have a awesome story line, I really think it does) also in the Matrix I think that they wanted to set apart them from the oblivious world people. In Reloaded it does look like they have a little more individualality though like Niobe for instance. I haven't seen the new trailer so I dont know of the Ghost move so cant really comment on that.

Forcebewitya!

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    In my film and religion class the other day we watched The Legend of Bagger Vance and disscussed how it related to Hindu. Its one of those classes that kinda blows your mind because you see a movie about golf and you never really think that it could be based on a classic indian poem.

Anyways the reason I bring this up is that it got me thinking how much what we discussed applies to other movies that I enjoy. Matrix was one of the first ones that popped into my mind. As a example of maya (the illusion that is everwhere) our professor use the example of the pot that has air on the inside of it and air on the outside. The conclusion to a hindu is that the pot isn't there.

Kinda like the spoon in the Matrix I though. The spoon isn't really there, neo isn't really there, no one is really there. There is only the Matrix, it is all that is and all that ever will be much like the Hindu concept of Brahman. It was only after Neo realized this that he was able to trancend it all.

So really I think it has a pretty deep and involved plot.

10. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    ^I remember walking into Borders and seeing a book titled 'Philosiphy and the Matrix'. I laughed my a** off. IMO, some movies have philosiphy, and some don't. If the Matrix has any 'philosphy' whatsoever, it wasn't thrown in there on purpose.

And also, I somewhat agree with Glockennspiel. I liked the Matrix, but the characters didn't seem interesting enough. They were all a buncha bada** characters and all, but that's the problem. You need more than one type of character for the film. Aside from that traitor guy every established character in that film fits the word 'bada**'. And yes, you can have too much 'bada**'. [note:mods, don't ban me, I can't really think of a better word!]

About the characters, they also killed about all 'cept about five by the end of the film. To make things worse, they killed most of the cast in one scene, before the characters really had a chance to develop. Now the Wachowski Bros are gonna have to introduce a whole new cast, which'll probably all have the same bada** personality, and they'll probably all get killed off by the end of Reloaded. In the end, we have Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, and Agent Smith, who all fit the same word... And you know what it is.

Just my opinion.

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    If the Matrix has any 'philosphy' whatsoever, it wasn't thrown in there on purpose.

Well like I said, from my crash course in Hinduism the other day its to full of it for it to just be conicidence. I think you would be supprised to see how much religion there is in just about any film out there.

The way the professor put it at the begining of class was that all stories need a common starting point, a point of refrence. Religion having been around for thousands of years is one of the best canidates.

12. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Actually, if you have taken any philosophy classes, the Matrix seeps its way into a discussion in any class. The movie borrows elements of Plato (the Cave paradox), Aristotle (forms), Nietzche (slave morality), Buddhaism (inner-peace, etc.), Heigel, Kant and a few others I can't think off the top of my head.

I loved the original because of how deep the story was. After learning about these various philosophers and how they relate to the Matrix, it makes the movie even better. Having a good understanding of the movie is the best way to enjoy the movie.

The next two installments I want to see how the storyline will go. I know it's going to be a conflict of breaking the shackles of slavery at the hands of machines, but what direction are they going to take. The graphics will be incredible, there is no doubt about that. Just the story direction is something that I wonder about.

13. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    It ain't philosphy if its commonly known by 13-year-olds.

14. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    They think they know, but they really don't. I'll go to the middle school I went to, and ask fifty kids who have seen the movie three philosophers whose work was involved in the Matrix. They won't know. They think they know, but they really don't.

Just because the Matrix uses a rudimentry basis for its story from different philosophy aspects, doesn't mean that everyone understands it. It's a popcorn movie, yet there is a whole different side to it, IMO.

15. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    It's not about the philosopher. It's about the philosophy. And yes, I can name three philosophies from the Matrix. Hell, I could probably do more. And I'm 13. My friends could give you three philosophies. Each one of them. And there 13. Heck, one of 'em just turned 13 yesterday.

16. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    I'm just saying. The normal movie viewer who isn't trying to read into the movies couldn't care what philosophy is used in movies. They couldn't care that Star Wars borrows Christianity, Buddhaism, and Judaism. The average moviegoer isn't going to try and read into the extreme nihilistic and Orwellian future that Minority Report has. It's the people who do know what philosophy is used in movies are those who are enlightened.

Circumstances are different for every person, and I know my parents who really enjoyed the Matrix, don't know the first thing about what philosophical aspects are used in the movie. Most people don't.

17. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    ^That's what I'm saying. Most movies have some philosophy, intentional or not. Hell, if you looked hard enough, you could probably find some philosophy in Austin Powers.

18. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Aside from the issue of philosophy, I don't really know if sequels are necessary, I thought the first film was really enough, I mean it doesn't completely resolve everything, but sometimes that's nice.

19. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    Yeah, I don't think The Matrix was totally designed for sequels. They decided to leave room at the end, but they didn't really plan on anything, with the characters all dying and stuff.

20. Nibelheim

Nibelheim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2003
    "Most movies have some philosophy, intentional or not. Hell, if you looked hard enough, you could probably find some philosophy in Austin Powers."

Um. No you can't... There is no form of relevent philosophy what so ever. If you think you have reason to belive it than you probably made it up.

21. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    Yes there is. Times change, and things won't always stay the way you want it.

There. Didn't take me so long, did it?

22. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm sorry but Ornen, what are you doing here?

You're not really adding anything to the discussion at all. Indeed, your purpose here seems to be to tell Matrix fans that the Matrix sucks in some way or another.

"If the Matrix has any 'philosphy' whatsoever, it wasn't thrown in there on purpose."

Only a 13 year old would say something so...

I suggest you know 'something' about the topic before posting further comments. Start with the Wachowski brothers.

"Yeah, I don't think The Matrix was totally designed for sequels."

Again, don't post unless you know at least have some idea of what you're talking about.

I love the Matrix, it's unique on many fronts.

23. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    On the matter of the sequels...I remember reading back in 1999 after the first movie an interview with the film makers when he said that he intended the Matrix to be a trilogy. So it has been planned for some time that these movies being a trilogy. It's much like Star Wars. The first movie stands up on its own, whereas the second and third movie of the sequence advance the story further along to the ultimate destiny.

Edit: redxavier, what you just said about ornen is flaming/baiting and is not tolerated at all on the JC. I advise you to retract that comment, thanks. :)

24. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    Only a 13 year old would say something so...
    I find that comment stereotypical of young people. Nobody has ever correctly guessed my age over the internet without me telling them.

And I'm not saying that the Matrix sucks. Hey, whoever said that a movie needed a lot of philosophy to be good? And while it may lack character development, it still has some of the best action sequences I've ever seen, and it still in my mind has the best special effects of any movie I've ever seen, which is very good considering it was made in 1999.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    "Edit: redxavier, what you just said about ornen is flaming/baiting and is not tolerated at all on the JC. I advise you to retract that comment, thanks."

I didn't actually flame or bait him. What he said was wrong, especially about sequels, and I'm letting him know that. Otherwise, people won't take him seriously in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.