main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Every Star Wars movie since ESB has gotten the "iris out" part wrong

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by 11-4D, Jun 11, 2017.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Who else has noticed this? Here's the OG one: (1:40)

Here's the ESB one that every movie after copied: (1:55)

It's like the first couple of notes are played way too abruptly. Thoughts? Am I the only one annoyed by the change? I thought it was especially bad in Rogue One where the end credits started way abrupt.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Alienware like this.
  2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Good catch. There definitely is a difference, especially with Rogue One, but it doesn't really bother me.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  3. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    I actually like the change. Then again I love everything about Empire. It's imperfectly perfect.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Considering that John Williams conducted everything after ANH through TFA, I don't think it's wrong. He clearly wanted to tweak it from how it was in the first film and as the original artist, that's his prerogative.

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I have always had a slight problem with the transition from the Jedi Steps into the end title on TFA.

Howard Hand likes this.
  6. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I've always thought it was supposed to be abrupt, yet still a transition, regardless of the mood and atmosphere of the final scene. The one in "Rogue One" clearly matched the pace of the stunning reveal.

7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    You thought? I thought it was jarring as heck.

8. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    If it was jarring, it was simply because "Rogue One" doesn't end with two minutes of no dialogue like the others. Also, it may have seemed jarring because we've seen the movie open differently and might not be expecting the traditional Star Wars closing credits pop up.

9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I disagree, the music sounds doesn't even sound like it's building towards the iris out.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always felt the score cut at the iris out to the credits was jarring, and frankly kind of ruins the mood for me. IMO the only ones that work are ANH and AOTC (which I actually think works great). The worst IMO is ESB, and the mood at the end of ROTS is perfect, as is the score-but then it's cut without a break immediately to the credits theme, which is in an entirely different key which really just...takes me out of it. Even if they would've just ended that particular cue, had a split second break while irising out, and then starting anew after the pause with the end credits score, that would've been so much better IMO.

But I suppose the sheer awesomeness of the rest of the score as a whole completely makes up for it in my mind!!

11-4D likes this.