main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Examples of The Force's Will

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ewan Tibbetts, Jul 21, 2017.

?

Do you like the will of the force?

1. Yes.

58.3%
  2. No.

29.2%
  3. I am the Bendu, the one in the middle!

12.5%
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yes because fighting openly without a base of support against an empire with millions(probably) of soldiers and ten thousand Sith Lords is so much smarter than seeking to survive and keep the order functioning after it has experienced yet another mass purge in only around 149 years.

If I understand correctly the Jedi were luckily in a better position than they were after 19 BBY. They weren't scattered and still had a few hidden places and allies among the Galactic Alliance Remnant. And Fel could be made sympathetic. I'd say there were more survivors proportionally as well.

Why would the Jedi seek to negate their luck in a futile open war without allies or thought against the full might of Krayt's empire?

As for the Imperial Kmights-I'd honestly say they are really at a loss. They don't grasp the more mystical and sublime nature of the force and that will hinder them in the long run.

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Regarding the Jedi's waging war even when outnumbered gazillion to one, and conventional thinking says they would lose a futile war, my answer is, so what? They fight for what they believe in, that's enough. It's better than doing nothing and "survive." Um, no, you wont' survive, all you'll do is live a ... I don't know, a life worse than death?

Regarding Imperial Knights. They can just go. Just go, They are worse than the Sith, worse than Yuuzhan Vong.

My beef with the Jedi is always been that they don't really care about anyone else. They are tools for the Republic only. Also, If for some reason the Republic chancellors said, I don't want you people anywhere in my Republic, and some Hutt lord says welcome,. I'm pretty sure the Jedi would go to the Hutts.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Who could hunt them? I'm talking about Legacy Volume II. Notice the words 'post-war'.

4. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't think the Imperial Knights are going away. As long as the Empire is around they'll need their knights. It really doesn't matter that they aren't mystical or whatnot. They aren't the Jedi. You can't compare them to Jedi. They are soldiers who use the force. In the end that's what I think the galaxy needs. The Imperial Knights are much more like the Jedi of the Old Republic- only more loyal to the government. They lead armies, defend the throne, act as diplomats and lead mercy missions. The Jedi of the post-war time serve no one but themselves. They don't seem to be helping anyone, hunting Sith or rebuilding. You could say that they're doing it off-screen, but that would just be a guess. The Knights are working for the good of the galaxy and the Empire. And they're a unit, not an order. The galactic factions need units. Do you think the Chiss would want some kind of ancient cult with questionable loyalties serving them? No. They'll want a unit loyal to their government. The factions of the galaxy will want knights for their protection. This is evolution. The people of the galaxy won't have to depend on Jedi or Sith when they can make their force-using groups. I'd reconsider who's hindered in the long run.

Daneira likes this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Ah. I had the wrong war.

Anyway, they're the Imperial Knights are a splinter faction of the Jedi. They're not "soldiers who use the Force." They have a very particular spiritual view at the very core of their mission.

The Jedi are a religious order, not soldiers working for a government.

Legacy Volume II is pretty centered on the Imperial Knights, so it's hard to make any calls on what the Jedi are doing.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What's so bad about the Imperial Knights?

7. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    But the Imperial Knights are. They may be Jedi, but they are still "soldiers working for a government".

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    No, they're not. They work to protect their godking, but I'd be very surprised if they're treated as a military asset. To the contrary, they serve to defend the Emperor and only take orders from the Emperor.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - Bolvan deciding to order Hija to hold his fire.

- 3PO and R2 landing near the Jawas

- 3PO finding the Jawa transport

- I would say R2 encountering the Jawas in the canyon, but the radio drama has 3PO lead the Jawas there

- The Jawas stopping at Owen's homestead

- Owen needing droids

- Han changing his mind and showing up in time to stop

- Qui-Gon and Panaka landing on Tatooine

- Qui-Gon going to Watto for parts

10. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005

huh?

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The thread has a title, in case you forgot.

Any breakfast without eggs is automatically bad.

Revanfan1, Daneira and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  12. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    BobaMatt
    Imperial Knights performed covert and overt military roles. Rand Ko led the defense of Borosk. At the battle of the Floating World, Knights led platoons of troopers. For this to work they'd need defined military roles. Otherwise their authority would be quite confusing (Who commands who?). It should be noted that their predecessor organization, the Emperor's Guards, were technically members of the Stormtrooper Corps and held military ranks. These things aren't unheard of. Inquisitors were a part of the military, as well as being Dark Jedi.

13. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I see Imperial Knights basically being Force Using Marines while Inquisitors were Force using CIA (well, more of Force using Gestapo).

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always figured the Imperial Knights were under the direct authority of well the emperor. With a ranking system based on seniority and merit.

They aren't a spiritual order, they are a martial order. And while that has its benefits in the short term the Jedi have a much greater grasp of the force than they do.

BobaMatt likes this.
  15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Isn't the IK Kempeitai?

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    examples of the will of The Force

17. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Thanks :) How many are explicitly said to be the will of the force?

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I consider pretty much every example where the heroes defeat overwhelming odds to save the day (or at least not be killed) the will of the Force. The destruction of the Death Star is a prime example. Every time someone on Rebels is being shot at by 10 stormtroopers and doesn't get hit. Sabine and Leia escaping IG-88. The Battle of Endor. Han finding Luke on Hoth right before he freezes to death. Ahsoka bring down that wall to crush all the droids surrounding her and Anakin while the one hole in the wall lands perfectly on them and saves them from being crushed. Anakin, who never even finished a single podrace, not only finishing but winning the Boonta Eve race. I could go on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mia Mesharad, Kylun and Ulicus like this.
  19. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Yeah and you're probably right. It's just... kinda lame.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    All of those are literally the will of the Force in action. Every "coincidence" is the will of the Force.

Recent examples:

Lor San Tekka, Rey, the Falcon, Poe and Finn all at Jakku at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd say the will of the force is roughly equivalent to "Destiny" or "fate" with the added metaphysics of the force influencing such things in practice.

Ulicus , darklordoftech and BobaMatt like this.
  22. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sounds wyrd.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  24. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Every improbable coincidence in Star Wars might be the will of the force.

25. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Actually, I am glad to find this topic instead of opening a new one. Saves me some words.

First and foremost, what is the "Will of the Force"?

The Force is created from all life, and the Force creates all life. So is it the sum of all wills of all that lives? And does that include non-biological lifes like plants, stones, even droids? Or is it beyond and outside a sum of individual wills?

Is the Force a God with its own plan or will? Is it synonymous with Fate? What then is Fate? Fixed and no free will? Or does free will exist and the "Will of the Force" can overwrite free will whenever it needs to? Why differentiate between both at all and why not just say all that happens is the will of the Force for why else would it even exist otherwise? All the bad, pain, dark included? Is a God, the Force, the Universe not powerful enough to right all wrongs, know all, do all? Or, why does it allow that to be and exist in the first place?

Balance, however defined, is said to be the ideal, the goal of the Force. Balance, however you define it, is supposed to be a natural order of all things.
    The Darksiders and Sith too want order, peace, stability. In a way they too want balance, but they do want the quick and easy path to it. Not waiting for the pendulum to swing to a halt but to force it to a deadstop now. If Jedi and Sith share a goal but fight over the methods, costs and timetable to achieve it, whose approach is the will of the Force, or is both? Does the method etc. matter to the Force or just the result? It matters to the individual, but to the Force?

Is Luck as with Han Solo the Will of the Force expressing itself? Is always luck such a sign, or just some specific happenings?

A lot of definitions and ideas, yet manmade, most fall short of the Force's true will. The Force is not bound by time or space like mortals are. The Force is whole and unaligned, not categorized as mortals claim. The Force just is. Does it require guardians? Does it require balancing at all? Isn't it always in balance, no matter where the pendulum is pointed at? Only if you look at a specific moment could you say it is out of balance, timeless though, there is no out of balance anymore and all is a part of its continious balance. Merely that balance is split into time and space and more or less liked eras and events by mortals who rather grasp short spans of time than the univeral point of view. Is it their flaw to believe there is imbalance? Is imbalance just impatience of mortals? Or might imbalance be neither the pendulum swinging from extreme to extreme but rather when someone disturbs the natural cycle of the pendulums movement? Be it by trying to slow it down to remain in one state, or to speed it up to reach another quicker! Is it that arbitrary and personal preference determines imbalance leading to meddling with the natural order in the name of restoring a percieved only natural order?

The Sith sought to restore order by purging the Jedi.
    The Jedi sought to restore balance by ending the Sith.
    The Force awoke to restore order by pitting the last Jedi and the last remaining Sith against each other in mutual destruction. Only then, the Force awoke its latest avatar from certain death to start something new.
    The PT proved the Sith wrong. The OT proved the Jedi wrong, when the ST happened. The ST united both and killed the past yet saved what was still needed.

Is the Force's will / God inactive so free will and mortals can sort it out on their own? Is it active and nudges developments in certain directions? Like a timestream trying to keep itself intact against meddling by timetravelers?
    Forcesensitivity then is like access to the godly toolset to cocreate the universe, but as the Jedi give themselves over to the Force to use them as its vessels, Sith use the toolset as they best see fit with their free will, not allowing any Forceguidance.

Rogue One: Was it the will of the Force that shielded Chirrut from blaster hits up until he had achieved his goal? Did the Force let the deadly Death Troopers not hit him? Also why would it let them fire wild around him instead of Forceshielding him from any hits?