main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Excalibur14's art MARCH ON TEMPLE 5/24

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Excalibur14, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey everyone, Just retooled my thread so thats its easier to see everything at once, like the way most of you have your threads. April Challenge piece to be added soon!

Jedi Brothers Sketch
    Jedi Brothers Completed
    March on the Temple Sketch
    Meditating Kenobi
    Hooded Anakin Sketch
    Colored Hooded Anakin
    Boba Fett vs. The Sarlaac
    Sith Temptations
    Jango Fett Unfinished
    Jean Gray
    Obi-Wan vs. Anakin Unfinished
    Jedi Trio
    Legolas
    Vader vs. Maul montage unfinished
    Frankenstein's Monster

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE! 5/24

I rescanned the March on the Temple and played with the background to make it a little more darker (be less distracting to the foreground)I also played with the shadows on everything else more...a tad more dramatic I think...(cue march music...taaa tatadaaaaaaaaa taaaaaa taaatatadaaaaaaaaaa.......)
    March on the Temple Revised

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Greetings Excalibur14, and welcome to the Fan Art forum!

This is a great piece--I especially love that you included the pencil sketch you started with (I'm a "pencil addict," myself... ;) ). It allows us to see the drawing in its original form, and that's always a good thing! The likenesses are very close--at least for me, there's little question as to who these two are--and the way you handled the robes is just gorgeous: excellent drapery and definition of flow over the body. Lovely shading, too. The finished piece is beautiful, as well. A very good composition, with the eye moving easily around the frame, and your coloring is just wonderful--the shading and highlights are handled very well. You mentioned you were starting a comic book project--is this a cover art for it? I really like this--a wonderful piece! Thanks for sharing it here, and again--welcome to the forum!

FF

3. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Thank you very much Falcon...I really appreciate it! I've been wanting to post things here for a long time. This started out as me just scribbling on a page right around when "Sith" premiered. My best friend's sister saw the sketch and asked if I could make it into a poster for her (the finished version) So I did and love the way it came out. As for the comic book, its a totally unrelated subject matter. I will throw on some pages once I get them scanned. Thanks again for checking them out and you comments :)

4. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
  5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    You drew this on a moving conveyance?! I can't get two lines down in anything that's moving, lol! This is Anakin during the March on the Temple, isn't it? Oh, my heart broke during this scene: the die were cast, he'd made his choice, and his actions here cemented his fall... :_| Sorry...I digress... Ahem--I will agree that the face lacks a bit in likeness (although we have to give you bonus points for doing this on the train!), but as with your previous drawing, there's really no question as to who this is: the expression on the face is suitably grim, and the robes are unmistakably Anakin's. I love that you've captured the fluidity of his movements here--it really looks like he's walking toward us--and the movement of his robes echoes that perfectly. Wonderful job. Yours will be a thread I have to visit often, I can see! :D

FF

6. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks so much for all of your kind remarks Falcon....Yes it is the march on the temple...I found that scene to be so moving, with the marching music with the troops walking almost slow motion behind him...that movie was filled with scenes like that. Yeah it was fun drawing this on the train...I was nervous for a job interview so I just started sketching....mostly out of memory. I know the face looks wierd, but in some sort of wierd way it kind of captures the moment...plus I don't really go for exact likenesses all the time...almost try to stylize it a bit. I loved pouring through your posts as well. The two that stuck in my mind was the portrait of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at Kamino...very dramatic with the paper textures...I will be visiting your thread alot as well!

7. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
  8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Its funny because alot of people ask me if its Jesus

ROTFL!! I don't think there's an artist on this board that hasn't received that comment about a drawing of Obi Wan in some form or other!! For me, it was a drawing of Jacen Solo, but that's not really relevant here! :D The photo you used for this piece has always been one of my most-favorites of Obi Wan--the reverence in his posture is just palpable, and you managed to capture that emotion in your drawing. The shading on the face and the robes are (as with your previous pieces) just beautiful--the "feel" of the draping of the fabric is lovely... With the "Grim Anakin" piece, I agree that the likeness is lacking (as you've already mentioned, you used yourself as a model here), although I think it's mostly around the mouth and chin--the eyes actually have a good resemblence to Hayden's, at least in that particular shot. Excellent shading once again, though you might want to try achieving a bit more contrast--darkening the darks. It's a suggestion that's been made to me on a number of occasions, and as I work at it with my own stuff, I can see the benefit of the advice.

I commend you on your goal to become licensed by LFL--Cat Staggs actually has a thread here in our forum, under gatodama--drop in there and say hi when you can! If you haven't visited the Authors & Artists forum here at TF.N, I also suggest you do that--many of the artists you mentioned have threads over there. I would suggest that you try contacting some of the licensed artists and find out what you need to do to achieve your goal. In the meantime, we'll enjoy your work here and "We shall watch your career with great interest." :D

FF

9. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks for your advice Falcon (who seems to be becoming my biggest fan lol) I usually try to keep the shadings light at times in case I ink them digitally. But definetly noted...<bows in respect> I will try to darken the values though, especially with this month's challenge, which I have already started (slow day at work and all)

I have visited Cat Stagg's thread and loved every minute of it. I did leave a message saying how much I like her work. I definitely will check out the Authors and Artists category. I think that will be cool. I plan on uploading more during the weekend. Lot of older stuff....if I don't talk to you, have a great weekend.

P.s. those are my eyes in the anakin portrait too :cool: lol

10. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
  11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "Thanks for your advice Falcon (who seems to be becoming my biggest fan lol)"

Try not to read too much into the lack of replies--folks just get busy sometimes and don't have time to browse as much as they'd like. I'm positive you'll be getting a comment and a welcome from our Moderator HanSolo29 soon, and eventually you'll see more people "dropping in!" In the meantime, don't be discouraged! This is a wonderful forum, with a great community, and we're always happy to have new members participate!

The colored Anakin is lovely--nice dark robes and good highlights on the folding. And the Boba Fett vs. the Sarlaac is awesome! Just a ton of energy in the piece, with his arm stretched up and all the jetpack and blaster fire going on! That beast is just as determined to dine on Fett as the bounty hunter is to get away! Great take on a great scene (that we never actually got to see, lol!)! And I like the coloring in this one--very vibrant, which goes well with all the action. Great stuff!

I'll make another suggestion while I'm here, in case you want to "join in" a little more: drop in and look at the Monthly Art Challenge thread--it's an "all comers" participation thread (not a contest), where the moderator chooses characters/scenes/categories to provide inspiration and anyone that wishes to submit a piece is welcome to do so. It's always great fun to see what everyone comes up with, and it's a great exercise to try something "assigned!" (For me, anyway!) There's the usual deadline of the end of the month to submit, and participation is totally optional--but it's always a good time.

And I'll keep dropping in (although I'm going out of town next week and won't be around for a while--keep on posting!). :D

FF

12. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Falcon-

Oh I am not worried or discouraged one bit, I know how things get busy...I was just teasing. Thanks so much for the compliments again. From what you said about the Boba Fett piece made me like it more. I am having a wonderful time with this forum. I have a passion of looking at people's work and how they can represent a certain theme.

Oh I know all about the monthly challenge...infact I have two scene that I am going to start working on tomorrow. I'm not gonna reveal what they are, but I hope that people will enjoy them as much as I enjoy doing the pieces.

I am going to be out of town the week of 3/13-17 so I won't be able to post and everything. Have a great trip and I will talk with you when we both return ;)

13. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    HEY!!! You' drawings are really great!! I especially like the one of colored hooded anakin (I'm pretty sure is that name). The one of obi and ani (first one) is great too. Welcome and thatnks for sharing your art. It is really nice!

14. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey goddess, thanks so much for checking out my stuff. I will be added more soon. I really appreciate everyone's comments and critisms..I'm glad you liked my work [face_blush] I am looking forward to getting to know people in this forum and their art more as well. Seems like an awesome group of talented people.

15. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Hi there! You're got some good stuff going here. I particularly like the Boba / Sarlacc piece. It has a frantic edge to it with the line work, which definitely suits the desperate need to get away from the pit. I look forward to seeing more!

16. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks Basement, I really appreciate it. More work will be coming, especially with the march challenge happening.

Thanks Again! :)

17. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Hey there. Bit late, but Welcome to the forums. ^_^

Perusing through your gallery I see that you have remarkable talent on drawing clothing, especially on the shading and lighting you achieve in them to show the direction on which the sit and rest on the body. Just wonderful. Lol, Sometimes I myself think the characters look as though they would fit right in during the biblical era, so I can understand how others may percieve Obi-Wan to look like Jesus. Though I've enjoyed all the work so far, my favourite is Hooded Anakin (colored). His expression is perfect - the grim lowered brow and that curled lip make him look so harsh, just as he should. (I thought it was neat how you posed for it.) And you also got a really nice skin tone too.

Glad you decided to post and share some of your work - you're very skillful with a pencil. :)

- Suz ^_~

18. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Your Worshipfulness (I bow to thee!)

I am flattered by your comments. [face_blush] Thanks for all your kind responses and I look forward to seeing everyone's work.

19. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
  20. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    I really like your sketches and colourings, especially the most recent one. :)

21. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks Jaya.. I really appreciate your feedback! :)

22. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Here is my latest (for the April Challenge) I call it:

Return of the Jedi -(WIP) It will be finished soon. I'm in the middle of coloring it :) Enjoy!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/saber79/returnofthejedi.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo!! This looks marvie so far Excalibur14! Great detailing, with the severed wiring in the right arm, all the lightning and the "ghosting" of the skeletal structure in Vader (just like in the movie!! =D=)--excellent! This was one of the most dramatic scenes in that film, I think--when Vader finally acknowledges that saving his son's life (and his daughter's life) is more important than power or obedience or anything else...when he truly becomes Luke's father in the most absolute sense...sniff... Can't wait to see it colored!

FF

24. Excalibur14

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks Falcon!!
    Its one of my favorite scenes also. Especially with the powerful Force theme in the background. I just wanted to do something different.

Thanks so much!!

25. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Great stuff Excalibur. My favorite is the Boba Fett vs. the Sarlacc. My only complaint is his helmet looks a little elongated, but it is a very nice piece. The April challenge image is very well done too! The emperor is kind of small though. I guess that just makes Vader look even more colossal a person!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.