main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Flaar_Fyre

Flaar_Fyre Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2004
    That's a hard question to answer lol. I never really got into Star Wars until the PT came out. I didn't even get interested until all the hype and fandom for TPM started running wild. After seeing TPM I became obsessed with the PT and finding out all the information I could for the following two movies. I even joined the official site's Hyperspace Fan Club to get official Episode III news first. I visited TFN daily and stayed in the Spoiler forums for the most part.

With this new trilogy I'm excited that I get to do things that I never thought I'd get to do again like wait in line with friends for the midnight showing, get involved in discussions and all here. The only real new thing for me will be introducing my nephew to the awesome force that is Star Wars fandom.

So I guess if I had to say I'd go with the PT. Everything was so new and exciting for me during that period. I'm excited for the ST without a doubt but now I know more of what to expect with the buzz and hype :)

QsAssistant likes this.
  2. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Great post, FF. The anticipation of the movies and the bit by bit spoiler information leading up to the release date is a lot of fun. And there's nothing like a SW midnight showing.

:)

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I was an adult when the PT came out, and was quite excited to see them. But we knew what would happen, Anakin turns to Vader and kills everyone. Great stuff, but I was a childhood fan of the OT, and wanted to go beyond that.

The ST, and all that comes with it (The big 3, George's story, what ended up happening after ROTJ, new people involved in making the movie, etc.), is significantly more exciting. I love the unknown, and plan to even hide my eyes from the trailers. Can't wait.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  4. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I wasn't a huge Star Wars fan until AOTC came out so I haven't had as much experience in the anticipation factor except for ROTS which was on a scale from 0-10 a 15. I'm at about an 8 right now. I'm really excited, but I have no expectations and there's just so many different directions the ST could go.

After we learn more about the upcoming film, my excitement will probably go much higher but until then I'd have to say I was more excited for the PT specifically ROTS.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The prequels, so far. It looks like Disney is positioning it's pieces to be too big too fail, so too speak...beloved nerd-culture director, super-safe OT sequel story, probably all of the big three coming back..it's not terribly ambitious-seeming, as opposed to showing the backstories of some of the most loved stories of all time with twenty-odd years of fans thinking about how they'd do them. Lucas was gonna take some lumps doing that no matter what he did...this? not so much.

I'm sure they'll be good movies..not so sure they'll be quite the act of hubris the prequels were, though.

eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Consider this Co-Signed.

DarthBoba likes this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't see why that should matter... don't we want the ST to be better than the PT?

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'll take ambitious failures over by-the-numbers executions any day, thanks.

This isn't a condemnation of the sequels before they come out, by the way-for all we know Abrams is going to take Lucas' "these movies are MINE" coda to heart and not even remotely care what fans think...but so far Abrams has been a pretty conventional director in his films. He makes good movies, and ones I enjoy watching, but controversy isn't him, IMO.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    How controversial would you want to the ST to be, anyway?

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Think http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020530/?ref_=sr_5][/url]Un Chien Andalou with lightsabers. Hah.

On a more serious note, I sometimes still have trouble getting my head around the fact that the Sequel Trilogy really is happening. I just find myself looking for news or logging on here, all casual and then for a moment stop and think "Well, a few months ago this seemed more than impossible."
    That's fun, at least.

Pro Scoundrel , eht13 and DarthBoba like this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, every now and then I still have a :eek: moment when I think about the fact that new SW movies are actually coming.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    In over thirty years as a Star Wars fan I have never been less excited than I am now.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly. I don't quite get that sentiment, like maybe SW should be some wild, off-the-cuff, Avant-garde, indie-type cult film? Like some modern, sci-fi/fantasy version of A Clockwork Orange, Pink Floyd's The Wall, Caligula, or Eraserhead? It won't be, nor should it be.

I think some of the movies may step a little further out then others, but Episode 7 is not the time to go experimental; the JJ move is perfect for Episode 7 IMO. Straight-forward, excellent-quality film making; don't take any big risks of failure on this one, just make us happy with sure quality. After that, I am all for making a spin-off movie here and there that is off the beaten path of SW; after all, that is what Underworld allegedly is (was?) to some degree.

I feel the same way as others saying it seems a little unreal that we are actually going to get another SW movie. I got to thinking in the months preceding the Disney buyout, why couldn't Lucas just make ONE MORE SW movie, just for the fans? Like come on, just throw us a bone, since we supported the franchise all these years.

Fantastic to know we will get one every summer for the foreseeable future.

14. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Is it bad that I actually said at work from my cubicle "the past dues don't concern me, sir, I want that report, not excuses!" lol

Pensive Padme likes this.
  15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm more excited for the Squeakquels
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, had to do it.

16. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I been a SW fan since the Special Edition release on VHS in 97', I was about 9. Unfortunately I never had any friends growing up that were into SW, plus I didn't have the internet until I was about 17, so my fandom was there but suppressed. Around the time TPM came out is when my fandom started to grow but it didn't really boom until around the time ROTS came out. After the release of ROTS I finally got the internet so I never got to be part of the crazy speculations and rumors. Before that I only heard things from my cousins like it was stuff of legend, which was actually pretty cool as a kid.
    So to sum up everything I just said, yeah I'm more excited for the sequels.

17. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Ha! No, that's not bad.

18. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Let's not do this again-Darth Boba.

19. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    At this point in time, I'd have to say that I was definitely more excited for the prequels than I currently am for the sequels. I am one of those SW fans now in their 40s who grew up with the OT. I remember being completely giddy for the SE re-release of the OT in theaters, and I was even more excited for each one of the prequels as they came out--especially ROTS.

But so far I don't feel nearly as excited for the sequels. I imagine that will change, though, as we get closer to 2015. I simply can't imagine not feeling at that ol' giddy excitement when that blue lettering appears, we get that wonderful pause, and then the SW main theme starts! But somehow I'm having a hard time getting into the idea of a non-Lucas SW. I enjoyed the prequels overall (again, especially ROTS) despite some of their weaknesses. And I sort of liked knowing that the entire saga was being overseen by the man who originally envisioned it. [I'm sort of a "purist" that way in other areas as well--for ex, even though I'm a huge Beatles fan, I resisted seeing "Across the Universe" for quite a while because I normally hate hearing covers of Beatles songs by other artists. Though when I finally did see it, I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it...maybe that should give me hope for the SW sequels! ] So it sort of makes me sad to think of a non-Lucas SW (sort of that "end of an era" feeling).

Another thing putting a damper on my excitement is I'm having trouble envisioning what a really good post-ROTJ story might be. I know there are plenty of things that EU fans would love to see, but I've never ventured into the EU (and don't have any plans to), so I don't have anything to go on there. I think I'm in the minority here because I noticed that a lot of previous posters in this thread mentioned how the fact that the ST will be a whole new story makes it more exciting for them than the prequels which would merely be showing the "how" of main plot points the audience already knew would happen. I'm just the opposite--it was because I felt so invested in the characters of Luke, Anakin/Vader, and Obi-Wan and in the past events that were referenced in the OT that I was vitally interested in seeing the prequels flesh out those events. Same for the issue of what some see as "gratuitous" use of OT characters in the prequels--I ate up every little moment in the prequels that tied to an OT character in some way, even if it was just a "minor" moment (like Yoda's goodbye to Chewie, etc.). Logically I can see the point about something that's gratuitous vs something that's necessary to drive the story, but I'm also a pretty nostalgic and sentimental person, so I guess I'm an easy target for any attempts at what some might see as "pandering" to that kind of audience feeling!

Lastly, I'm wary of both Abrams and Disney. Looking over his film and TV credits, I have only seen one film Abrams has directed (the 2009 Star Trek) and none of his TV work. In some ways, maybe that means I should be less wary of him since I'm not that familiar with his work (maybe I would enjoy some of it?), but the reason I'm not familiar with any of it is that they weren't the kind of films/TV shows that interested me enough to watch them in the first place. I did enjoy the 2009 Star Trek, though it's not the kind of film that made me want to see it more than once or own it. And regarding the Disney angle: I know fans of "The Avengers" are encouraged because of how Marvel is doing under Disney, but for me it's just the opposite--I finally saw "The Avengers" just last week and I really did not like it all. Again, I realize I'm probably in the minority here, because I know it was a big hit. But maybe that's not a good indication anyway, as probably a lot of the reason I didn't like it is that I absolutely no pre-existing interest in any of the characters since I'm not a comics fan. [so why did I watch it?...my husband wanted me to watch it with him, though his motive in asking me to watch it was that he thinks it's completely overrated and so he wanted to see if I would also think so..] But, on the "plus" side, at least I hear that Abrams is supposedly a big SW fan, so hopefully that bodes well.

Edit: Just want to note that I sincerely hope any wariness I feel now will prove to have been unwarranted...also hoping that the news we do start to get about Ep VII as it gets closer will raise my enthusiasm level. And I am very much looking forward to seeing "the Big Three" characters on screen together again :)

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    The prequels were pretty bad, so we can't go further down the totem pole.

Then again..... :p

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Let's not take this thread any further into PT bashing or PT vs. OT territory... thanks.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  22. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    We're both around the same age, so it is always nice to talk to someone who grew up with the movies too. :) It's always interesting to talk to fellow OT generation'ers about which trilogy they wanted: PT or ST? One of my best friends growing up always wanted the PT, whereas I always wanted the ST. I think it comes down to what storyline grabbed you more during the OT movies: Luke, Leia, and Han or Darth Vader/Emperor? I was always a Luke, Leia and Han guy as Lucas could have put out 2 more trilogies of their adventures, and I would be there every 3 years. My friend was more fascinated with The Empire and Darth Vader/Emperor's characters, and wanted them fleshed out.

In saying all of that, trust me once you start seeing trailers for the ST in the Fall 2014/Winter 2015, you will get juiced! I remember hearing about the PT back in the mid 90's and really didn't even blink an eye, even though the OT was my favorite movie series of alltime. When I saw that first trailer in November 1998, and you hear that music, and then you see Lucasfilm come up..... as Al Pacino said in Godfather III, "Just when I thought I was out.....they pull me back in!" :)

23. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes...nice to "meet" you, Carbon:) I see we are also both recent additions to the JCF!

Interesting observation. It's weird, even though I loved the movies so much as a kid, I don't ever remember thinking about sequels at all back then (though maybe I did and I'm just not remembering it). Not that I wouldn't have been first in line if they had made some right after concluding Ep VI :) , but since the "rebels vs Empire" storyline comes to such a definitive end at the conclusion of ROTJ, I've always had trouble envisioning where they would go with the story that wouldn't seem anticlimactic after the "epic" sweep of the rebellion story. I think I even read some old quotes by GL on some Wookieepedia page where he had said (more than once) that there was pretty much "no story" for what happened after Ep VI. Though I've also heard he has contradicted his own statements a lot over the years and I also remember other sources that said he always had at least some idea of what would happen after ROTJ. I can only hope there will be a strong story and whatever new main characters are introduced will be well-drawn and compelling. And I'm also hoping there will definitive links to the OT with meaningful (even if smaller in some ways) roles for the Big Three, plus at least one Force Ghost (Yoda, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin or any combination that could fit with the story--again even if it's just a small appearance), and of course, I want C3PO and R2D2 in there at least a bit! (But I know there's a whole other thread for discussion of what characters you want to see, so I'll leave it at that.)

Oh yes, I'm sure you're right! I think also being on the JCF during this pre-release period will add to my anticipation and enjoyment. I wasn't part of the online SW community during the build-up to any of the prequels, and from reading references to that period from the "oldbies" on the forum now, it sounds like it was a lot of fun!

eht13 and Carbon1985 like this.
  24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I never really thought about sequels until my older brother told me about Lucas's plans right when ROTJ came out (I believe he read it in some interview). Now you have to remember that I was around 11 years old when ROTJ came out, so I was easily blown away by the mention of future SW movies! My brother told me he read Lucas's plans in that he was going to take off 2 years and then start filming the ST with Luke, Leia and Han in their prime, and go back in the 1990's and do the PT and just mentioned this fight between Vader/Kenobi over a Volcano! I remember thinking that I would be seeing SW movies for the next 20 years of my life.

Now with no internet back then, I just waited each spring to see if any trailers popped up on TV? 1985....1986...1987.....nothing! Then at the 10th anniversary for SW in 1987, my friend read that Lucas was done with SW altogether and there would be no more movies. I still remember sitting in 8th grade history class and I was totally bummed when he told me that! And that really closed the chapter on SW for me as a kid. :( That is why sometimes it bothers me with all the bickering between SW fans, because we should all just try to enjoy them as it is the one time you can become a kid again for 2 hours! :)

eht13 and Pensive Padme like this.
  25. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Oh, absolutely!...I'm sure I felt exactly the same way (I was just 13 when ROTJ came out :))...I just can't seem to remember hearing about those kinds of details back then--definitely wish I could...

What a sweet (now--of course it was completely sad at the time!) memory...definitely takes me back!

I couldn't agree more, Carbon!

eht13 likes this.