main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Expanding the Sequels: Give the ST its own Rogue One and Andor style deepcuts!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ColeFardreamer, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As an example of what can be done with side characters, see the duo of Phasma / Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire.

2. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Very true. Phasma, in particular, I was impressed by just introducing us to a whole new type of story that featured someone we thought we knew.

The other half of potential ST stories are, like the thread started with, stories that don't have to be strict ST sidestories per se, but just regular old Star Wars stories that happen to be set in this era. Smuggler adventures, explorer stories, archaeological stuff (that last couple episodes of Bad Batch could have been in any era with another set of characters) or war story of some sort. That is, not featuring some specific character from the ST but expanding the era just by virture of being set there. I'd welcome both types The latter could be made more ST-ish by featuring ST era races or leaning into Guavian's and Kanjiclub as the resident criminal elements or picking some random background character. Not stories that set out to define the era but just live there.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how the expanding of the sequel era, characters and trilogy will go. seems like the movies will be post TROS with some ST characters coming back. For now its just backstories and such.

4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I think Resistance Reborn has a lot to draw from like Shri, Iden, & Zay for instance. I haven't read Inferno Squadron because I don't play the video games but it seems like they appeared at the end of the TROS in the novelization in the Citizens' Fleet. Then you have some of the people who appeared in Poe's comic (never read). So maybe it isn't Rey, Finn, etc. but there are characters that can be used.

gat-65b and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  5. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    We still need the story of how Maz got Luke's lightsaber.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We know an ugnaught found it.

7. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree that the period immediately leading up to TFA needs fleshing out. I was disappointed with the Rise of Kylo Ren as it just scratched the surface of Ben's story. Therefore, I've got a fanfic planned set just after Bloodline in which the FO finally emerges on the scene and encounters the newly formed Resistance for the first time. It also deals with Ben's final slide to the dark side and culminates in the hut scene.

I'm also planning a fanfic set just before TROS which deals with the FO aggressively extinguishing pockets of resistance that have sprung up across the galaxy following Luke's appearance on Crait. It also features a coup within the FO which Kylo has to deal with and, to produce troops that would be loyal to him, seeks out cloning laboratories...but in his quest discovers Palpatine's scheme to clone himself. His probing forces Palpatine to reveal himself and announce his return to the galaxy, which leads Kylo on a mission to find Exegol....

Watcherwithin likes this.
  8. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    What the rest of the galaxy did during the year of the First Order would be nice to see. But I'd also like to see the 28-30 ABY period fleshed out more, with separatism, secessions and debates, espionage, intrigue etc.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  9. If they want the ST Movies to make sense they need to do a Very Good Job and Writing even with that i feel the ST Movies will still have flaws and that some Fans will still not like that Era

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
  10. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Give it time... look at the current PT love... they used to hate the PT. As usual with Lucas stuff or SW, ahead of its time ;)

The Positive Fan likes this.
  11. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    One "advantage" that I think the ST has over the PT is that many of the issues people have with the former are with the story choices, whereas the prequels were more heavily criticised for things like the acting and dialogue. The sequels are therefore more easily improved by supplementary material and backstory provided in The Mandalorian, for instance. The Emperor's return can be retroactively explained, but Jar Jar and lines like "I don't like sand" just have to be accepted as they are.

Sarge and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  12. The PT Movies was Criticized for the Dialogues and Acting but the Story was Fine those Movies still were Darth Vader Movies with Disney ST they need to do a Very Good Job if they want Disney ST to make sense im not saying its impossible but it will be a Very Difficult Job to do

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2023
  13. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The big difference is that there was supplemental material coming out ALONGSIDE the Prequel Trilogy. You had dozens of video games, books, and even TV shows that came out to build up the Prequel Trilogy and even the movies themselves expanded on the universe. With the Sequels, there's nothing even remotely close to that. You would need like 5 The Mandalorian™s, and you would still have more catching up to do. Even with that, the Mandalorian™ is more of a Prequel, not a contemporary of the Sequel Trilogy.

I don't want to start-up another 'is the ST bad', but the situation isn't even slightly comparable with the Prequels.

14. PT was Carried by Multimedia Project Comics, Novels and Video Games, Tartakovsky Clone Wars Show and later TCW ST only had Very Few Comics and Novels, One TV Show and Zero Video Games

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2023
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think thats about to change soon.

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The problem is that the makers operate from an outdated point of view.

Secrecy, full creative control, etc. is what they want. But no project stays secret for long and full creative control is an illusion in a shared massive fictional universe. They need to accept that and rather work with not against expansion of their works. Like ROTS had a huge buildup with comics leading up and into it showing its designs before the movie already!

The Internet and fan community for a long time, almost 20 years now, is way ahead of the the makers technologically and better connected and equipped. One can not fool them with the old tricks. One needs to give them something, work with them. Appetize them, like Hyperspace's making of galleries concurrent to PT production.

But companies these days tend to be in a trap. On the one hand they listen to fan reactions and opinions and are very reactionary to these, on the other they do not know how to separate vocal minorities from true majorities as true representative polls and other such systems they tried failed and were shut down (Obiwantstoknowme) even sadly (mostly due to technical manipulation possibilities like for Hasbro polls).

They need either a strong visionary guidance, someone with vision and a goal like Lucas, regardless of shortcomings or fan reception, some love it, some do not. Or they listen to the fans shouting from all directions and opinion camps at them, and learn how to not give reactionism too much control, nor to ignore the voices and shoot blind at potential successes.

I like how late during Legends, SW opened up to listening to fans giving them a voice and chance to participate in projects and come work for LFL. That though went haywire too sadly as some lack of oversight and control lead to some rather unsupervised outputs that were high in quality but probably not intended the way they ended up posted.

But that aside, the expansion of the ST and future Disney projects for SW needs to come up to date and work with technology and the changes in fandom. Profit from leaks, do not suffer from it. Profit from early peaks at designs or implementation in leadup-works. Profit from concerted efforts, even if creatives need to put in some work to not overwrite anothers due to creative freedom bull%$&.

And to be honest, I do not care how good a director, author, screenwriter, etc. is, if he/she is unwilling to put in the work, research etc. needed to do a SW project with full SW knowledge, they can stay away and should not get hired in the first place. I mean love Andor and am happy at Gilroy's new take, one can do that and work it in. Have people with the knowledge and research done advise instead of the director having to do all himself, sure. But ultimately, do not just hire folks unwilling to work with that and promise them something the company cannot keep up with their massive network of SW production.

Havoc123 and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  17. Konrad Pietrzak

Konrad Pietrzak Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2020
    I wonder about this silence when it comes to the period between epVIII and IX, so far we got only fractions like the Resistance series which was very out of the way or the book Resistance reborn and the comic Alliegance, all with their hands tied because of how TROS was created, plus there are also some attractions there in Galaxy Edge. But other than that, it is proper silence, even though 3 years have passed since ep 9, they know the look of the trilogy so they can easily create between me.

My hope is that they plan to do something similar for TCW in this period, a series of loose anthologies with the same (usually) heroes, 3 seasons can at least fit here (tcw 3 years of war showed in 7 seasons out of 8 planned).

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  18. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I think I remember someone (Matt Martin?) saying around the release of TRoS that the current published material, up to Galaxy's Edge, only covered the first half of the gap between TLJ and TRoS, so there should be plenty of room for more stories there.

19. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Yes, Spark of Hope might be the latest in the timeline. I put most of it in the first month or two post Crait, Allegiance comic around month three or four, and Rise of Resistance around the six month mark, so far.
    Running in total either 34 to 35 ABY or 34.5 to 35.5 say. Although that's partly an artifact of how prior stories were always 'shortly before TFA' in many cases (including Before the Awakening, which later got expanded in time frame, especially for Poe)